Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my XD 9 sc to the range today for the inaugural trip since I bought the weapon last Thursday. I have to say, that after having my usual second thoughts about a major purchase, all my apprehension dissolved when I fired the weapon. It has a solid trigger and feels great in the hand. I'll break down my trip and how I feel as of now.

The great:

I confirmed my liking for the size and fit of the grip even with the smaller magazine. It fits in my hand and I can even squeeze my pinky in there.

No misfeeds or anything. Not that I expected any, but it's nice to know that it made it through clear.

In the interest of time I tried out the OEM speed loader. The thing actually works pretty well, and saved me a lot of time which means I didn't have to pay for the extra 1/2 hour.

The Good

I liked the sights a little bit better than the Glock that I had been shooting. I am trying to train myself to shoot with both eyes open. I figured start in the beginning that way, then I don't have to break habits later and it was pretty simple. I plan to get night sights as this will be my primary CC and HD weapon and want to couple those with a flashlight for my EDC setup.

The trigger felt pretty good. After I shoot more (way more) I may see about adjustments, but that is not something I am going to think about now. Need to get much more practice and get acclimated before making that decision.

The Bad(ish)

The range was 109 degrees with no ac or anything and man at that temperature the grips get a little slick. Nothing wrong with the weapon but not a highlight of the trip and I think added to some off center shots.

I need to work on trigger pull and not jerking the trigger. Here come the dry fire exercises. Also need to get rid of the flinch. Snap cap drills with my range partner should fix that.

All in all I am so pleased with this weapon and cannot wait to go shoot it again (tomorrow of course). I'll pop back by with updates once I hit the 1000+ rounds mark.

Hopefully this was helpful to those looking at taking the plunge!

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
The Bad(ish)

The range was 109 degrees with no ac or anything and man at that temperature the grips get a little slick. Nothing wrong with the weapon but not a highlight of the trip and I think added to some off center shots.

I need to work on trigger pull and not jerking the trigger. Here come the dry fire exercises. Also need to get rid of the flinch. Snap cap drills with my range partner should fix that.

All in all I am so pleased with this weapon and cannot wait to go shoot it again (tomorrow of course). I'll pop back by with updates once I hit the 1000+ rounds mark.

Hopefully this was helpful to those looking at taking the plunge!

Good lord man, 109 Degrees !!! :shock: I'd melt.

You can do one drill at home to help with both the trigger "jerk" and the flinch. Balance an empty case on the top of the front post and press until the striker releases. The case shouldn't drop or even wiggle. Takes some doing - especially initially. But that one drill will help with smoothness and flinch. Just be safe at home. Go to a room where ammo is verboten and use snap caps. Even then, only aim in a safe direction. There's been more than one report of damaged TV's, picture windows, walls etc.

You don't have to eject the snap cap, just pull the slide back far enough so the striker resets. It does that before the case clears the chamber.

·
Registered
107 Posts

You can do one drill at home to help with both the trigger "jerk" and the flinch. Balance an empty case on the top of the front post and press until the striker releases. The case shouldn't drop or even wiggle. Takes some doing - especially initially. But that one drill will help with smoothness and flinch. Just be safe at home. Go to a room where ammo is verboten and use snap caps. Even then, only aim in a safe direction. There's been more than one report of damaged TV's, picture windows, walls etc.

You don't have to eject the snap cap, just pull the slide back far enough so the striker resets. It does that before the case clears the chamber.
Good tip thanks . :cool:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks for the tip. I will have to try that one!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I liked the sights a little bit better than the Glock that I had been shooting. I am trying to train myself to shoot with both eyes open. I figured start in the beginning that way, then I don't have to break habits later and it was pretty simple.
i'm relatively new to shooting and this is the first i've heard to keep both eyes open... is this true and if so why is it better? does it help to fend off tunnel vision?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'm relatively new to shooting and this is the first i've heard to keep both eyes open... is this true and if so why is it better? does it help to fend off tunnel vision?
I have read a fair amount of articles on the subject and there was one that was really good. Let me see if I can find it again!

The basic premise was that both eyes being open allows you the following benefits:

Use of peripheral vision
decreases tunnel vision
increases visual acuity compared to one eye (ability to differentiate between things in your line of sight)
maintains binocular vision ie: depth perception and recognition of motion of an object

The negatives:

It's hard as H#!! to get used to haha
ghost image for your target (seeing two)

The article (and others) essentially concluded that for defensive shooting, both eyes for sure, but in that scenario, you aren't using, or shouldn't be using your sights. Long range, if you can do it, great. If not, oh well.

I will find the article though. There are some other great threads on this forum and others on the topic.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ha! I found it.

Monocular and Binocular Shooting

granted, this is only one view, but it is a very extensive explanation.

I have a degree in psychology and a large portion of my studies has been in sensation and perception and how the eyes and things work. His basic premise is valid in the realm of science that two eyes are better than one for just about everything.

But hey, what do I know. This is just my $.02. Ultimately it is what works for you.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
thanks for digging that up! i can't read it right but will check it out later tonight. conceptually i understand why two is better that one... but doing it... like you said, that's a whole different set of skill!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

You can do one drill at home to help with both the trigger "jerk" and the flinch. Balance an empty case on the top of the front post and press until the striker releases. The case shouldn't drop or even wiggle. Takes some doing - especially initially. But that one drill will help with smoothness and flinch.
Alright, I tried it and man you weren't kidding. That is not easy! But I have already begun to notice the smoothness. A couple thousand more times and I'll be on my way!

Thanks for the tip john_bud

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Alright, I tried it and man you weren't kidding. That is not easy! But I have already begun to notice the smoothness. A couple thousand more times and I'll be on my way!

Thanks for the tip john_bud

Yeah;)! I had "issues" with being able to even get the stupid brass to stay on the gun much less actually try the trigger. After some practice I can do everything but rack the slide and not bobble the brass.

If you want to drop a few $$ even a cheap airsoft laser help when dry firing. Keep the dot still.

·
Registered
212 Posts
For the grip, I put a Pachmayr sleave grip designed for a Glock subcompact. Had to trim it on the back a bit for the grip safety. It gives me just the traction I need when my hands are hot and sweaty.
Pachmayr Slip-On Grip #4

·
Premium Member
23,668 Posts
nice report and lot of good advise gents!

·
Registered
127 Posts
nice i just bought one on saturday got out and shoot about 250 rounds though her sunday. I am really happy with how it shoots. Maybe the xdm 40 4.5 might have to find a new home

1 - 13 of 13 Posts