Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for load data to start loading .40 for shooting in IDPA.

I have a LEE classic turret kit, xtreme 155/165/180gr
I have unique powder and about to pickup some titegroup.

Im shooting a XDm 5.25 .40. Gun is stock for now but im going to put a PRP Trigger kit in it. I was planning on ordering lighter springs to shoot .40 minor.

I have no idea where to start. Please help or point me in the right direction

Thanks

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Starting out, avoid the TG IMO. Unique is a good choice, use starting jacketed data. Time for a class.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Starting out, avoid the TG IMO. Unique is a good choice, use starting jacketed data. Time for a class.
I was able to get 2# of unique. Im about to get a few #s of TG. I can't find and WST like you told me to get.

YES I NEED A CLASS. im almost out of my ammo supply. I need to start reloading ASAP

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Like I said, not a huge fan of TG. The Unique will work fine. TG will work, it's just not ideal for noobs, easy to double charge, burns hot enough to melt the plastic insert in you front sight. It works ok for 40 minor, but there is little room for error.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like I said, not a huge fan of TG. The Unique will work fine. TG will work, it's just not ideal for noobs, easy to double charge, burns hot enough to melt the plastic insert in you front sight. It works ok for 40 minor, but there is little room for error.
DAMN

What else should I be looking for then?

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
DAMN

What else should I be looking for then?
There are more than 18 powders that are useful in the 40, including TG. Some are just "better" than others IMO. There isn't data for all of these but they are useful. For now, just concentrate on the Unique. Always better to work with as few variables as possible when starting out. These are from a burn rate chart. Slower powder use more but have broader load range, safer for noobs. Also slower powders, like Unique & slower, are better for reaching safe full power loads. Faster powders, below Unique, are better for minor loads. They'll keep pressures up a bit so the powder burns better.

9 Alliant Promo
10 Hodgdon CLAYS
11 Alliant Clay Dot
12 IMR, Co Hi-Skor 700-X
13 Alliant Bullseye
14 Hodgdon TITEGROUP
15 Alliant American Select
16 Accurate Arms Solo 1000
17 Alliant Green Dot
18 Winchester WST
20 Winchester Super Handicap
21 Hodgdon INTERNATIONAL
22 Accurate Arms Solo 1250
23 IMR, Co PB
24 VihtaVuori N320
25 Accurate Arms No. 2
26 Ramshot Zip
27 IMR, Co SR 7625
28 Hodgdon HP-38
29 Winchester 231
30 Alliant 20/28
31 Alliant Unique
32 Hodgdon UNIVERSAL
33 Alliant Power Pistol
34 VihtaVuori N330
35 Alliant Herco
36 Winchester WSF
37 VihtaVuori N340
38 IMR, Co Hi-Skor 800-X
39 IMR, Co SR 4756
40 Ramshot True Blue
41 Accurate Arms No. 5
42 Hodgdon HS-6
43 Winchester AutoComp
44 Ramshot Silhouette
45 VihtaVuori 3N37
46 VihtaVuori N350
47 Hodgdon HS-7
48 VihtaVuori 3N38
49 Alliant Blue Dot
50 Accurate Arms No. 7

Reactions: XDmax

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are more than 18 powders that are useful in the 40, including TG. Some are just "better" than others IMO. There isn't data for all of these but they are useful. For now, just concentrate on the Unique. Always better to work with as few variables as possible when starting out. These are from a burn rate chart. Slower powder use more but have broader load range, safer for noobs.

9 Alliant Promo
10 Hodgdon CLAYS
11 Alliant Clay Dot
12 IMR, Co Hi-Skor 700-X
13 Alliant Bullseye
14 Hodgdon TITEGROUP
15 Alliant American Select
16 Accurate Arms Solo 1000
17 Alliant Green Dot
18 Winchester WST
20 Winchester Super Handicap
21 Hodgdon INTERNATIONAL
22 Accurate Arms Solo 1250
23 IMR, Co PB
24 VihtaVuori N320
25 Accurate Arms No. 2
26 Ramshot Zip
27 IMR, Co SR 7625
28 Hodgdon HP-38
29 Winchester 231
30 Alliant 20/28
31 Alliant Unique
32 Hodgdon UNIVERSAL
33 Alliant Power Pistol
34 VihtaVuori N330
35 Alliant Herco
36 Winchester WSF
37 VihtaVuori N340
38 IMR, Co Hi-Skor 800-X
39 IMR, Co SR 4756
40 Ramshot True Blue
41 Accurate Arms No. 5
42 Hodgdon HS-6
43 Winchester AutoComp
44 Ramshot Silhouette
45 VihtaVuori 3N37
46 VihtaVuori N350
47 Hodgdon HS-7
48 VihtaVuori 3N38
49 Alliant Blue Dot
50 Accurate Arms No. 7
Thanks

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
don't forget Longshot. obtain major loads with ease thru my 3.8".
so with a 5.25" major loads are easily and very safely obtainable.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
don't forget Longshot. obtain major loads with ease thru my 3.8".
so with a 5.25" major loads are easily and very safely obtainable.
Yeah, but for IDPA, you only need 40 minor. Powders slower than WSF are really not suited for 40 minor. You'll get lots of soot & unburned powder.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Power Pistol is my Go-To for controllable .40

if unavailable, Unique is a close Silver Medal...

OP: Don't you have a handloading manual?

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
I thought it was a higher point value for major loads. my bad. I've got some reading to do before I get into it. I'm still in the running pistol drills phase at the range, trying to get respectable. pistol-training.com has been useful in choosing drills to practice with.

I really enjoy the shooting from concealment with hands up into 8" plate. drill. it's easy to practice w/ a laser and a mirror w no ammo. gotta be favorite so far. close second is the index card and 8" plate when changing to multiple targets and zones drill. double tapping is becoming almost second nature now with the 45 acp.

completely agree , Longshot is too slow for minor loads. excellent for full power though.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I thought it was a higher point value for major loads. my bad. I've got some reading to do before I get into it. I'm still in the running pistol drills phase at the range, trying to get respectable. pistol-training.com has been useful in choosing drills to practice with.

I really enjoy the shooting from concealment with hands up into 8" plate. drill. it's easy to practice w/ a laser and a mirror w no ammo. gotta be favorite so far. close second is the index card and 8" plate when changing to multiple targets and zones drill. double tapping is becoming almost second nature now with the 45 acp.

completely agree , Longshot is too slow for minor loads. excellent for full power though.
Yep, only CDP class as to shoot major 165PF. Everything else is 125pf or even 105pf for rev now. So in 40, a 175-180gr bullet running 740fps is a soft shooting round, softer than factory 9mm.
Problem with a laser & no recoil, you have a hard time learning target/front sight transitions. Only way you really get it done is go put some rounds down range. Fast is good, but you can really not miss fast enough to win; IDPA or a gunfight. So hits first, speed second, The speed will come.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
agreed. the laser drawing drill is just for in between range trips and basically only to increase muscle memory of drawing from concealment. . I agree feeling and becoming accustomed to recoil is a large part of reaquiring targets after shots.

In 40 I loaded some 180s At PF140. that 40 is the softest shooting baby rounds I ever felt. I used n340 and stayed low to mid range and they shot like 22s lol. I prefer some recoil to simulate my self defense loads. I can see the advantage for changing target and rapid fire.

I typically practice w 45acp with 230 grains at around 800-820 fps in 45. PF184. I like the recoil. simulates pdx1s and hornady xtps and Makes shooting low PF ammo much easier when I do rarely shoot it. almost like using a BB gun with the minor stuff. How much will always shooting this higher powered ammo accelerate wear on my guns, or will it at all in the scheme of things ? after all most factory stuff is pretty warm.

still practicing.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
You may not likely ever wear a gun out. I have only done it once, shooting a RBH in 44mag back when I shot met sil. All I ran in it were barn burners. The gun is still tight after maybe 15k rds, but the forcing cone is screwed, running full loads of slow ball powder. My best 1911 is really old, maybe 50K rds thru it, still shoots 2" @ 25yds, only ever replaced recoil springs & a slide stop once.
The diff between my 45acp carry ammo & what I shoot in IDPA isn't much, 170pf vs 180pf. So not worried about that. The 40 minor is fun to go fast with, not a 22lr but the gun doesn't recoil much & the slide comes straight back allowing faster front sight acquisition & faster follow ups shots. Not a lot faster than my 45 but faster. 12rds with a reload, maybe 8sec vs 10sec for down 0-3, from the holster. Most of that is probably the reload on the 1911. I could go faster but I like 0-3 down on every stage.:D

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
good to hear bc I truly enjoy shooting fuller powered loads. I may have exaggerated a tiny bit on the minor 40s shooting like 22s lol!!!! the only 40 I own uses the rotating barrel on a block and does reduce felt recoil though, and being accustomed to the feel of recoil of major loads those lighter loads really do remind me of a 22 though.
I will feel that I have accomplished something great if I put 50K down range thru my 40 and 45 combined. that is quite an accomplishment. I'm may have 25-3500 down range bt them. got a long way to go!!!!

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
good to hear bc I truly enjoy shooting fuller powered loads. I may have exaggerated a tiny bit on the minor 40s shooting like 22s lol!!!! the only 40 I own uses the rotating barrel on a block and does reduce felt recoil though, and being accustomed to the feel of recoil of major loads those lighter loads really do remind me of a 22 though.
I will feel that I have accomplished something great if I put 50K down range thru my 40 and 45 combined. that is quite an accomplishment. I'm may have 25-3500 down range bt them. got a long way to go!!!!
Well shoot for 40yrs, it will get there.;)

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Normally, when I run a 40, I am looking for about 170PF for USPSA Major, and for that I like Silhouette, but I did experiment with minor loads for Production Division which has the same 125PF floor as IDPA, so I have some data.

Like Fred said, the faster powders should ONLY be used when shooting minor PF. For me, when running STOCK SPRINGS in a 5.25, I got some of the best results using WST and Clays and 180grn lead bullets. I tried TiteGroup, but it runs very hot, and did indeed melt off a front sight using it on one occasion so I don't use it anymore. WST and Clays run much cooler. WST has a better "overhead" than Clays, which has such a small load range that I hesitate to recommend it for any but the very experienced and careful reloader, so WST seems like a better choice than Clays for minor in 40.

As always, you gotta run the gun, so going much lower than 3.6grns of WST (if you can find it!) will require some experimentation in your gun if using stock springs. If you get a 15lb spring you might go lower but the gun will seem "sluggish" to some... it did to me. 3.6grns of WST @ 1.135 using an 180 SNS LFN bullet ran the gun fine but the power factor was about 147 or so. If you use some of the newer coated lead bullets they might run a bit slower with the same loading so the PF would be a bit lower too. That might be the way to go.

The Clays load, which I give you with some trepidation, was 3.1grns at the same OAL and using the same bullet. It produced 143PF, and again ran the gun perfectly with stock springs.

Both the WST and Clays loads were very accurate and soft shooting and might be a place to start if you can find either powder. Unique is a pretty good powder, but at loadings in this range it will be on the dirty side and the ES and SD figures will be much wider than WST or Clays will normally produce, though it will probably work. If you get up into the 150 PF range, then Unique might still be viable and run cleaner.

BowenBuilt may have some data in 40 Minor using both e3 and the newly available ETR7. I have both powders, but used e3 only in 9mm where it did well, and have not tested the ETR7 yet as I just got it and the weather is still rather abysmal here.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I run a 14# spring in my 5.25/40. My minor loads run a 175gr LFP or LSWC @ 745fps. Either 3.1gr of WST or 3.0gr of RedDot. Both fill the case about half. The RD is actually a little more accurate, both will shoot under 1 1/2" @ 50ft offhand, but the WST feels softer. I tried some Missouri coated with the same charge to, vel was actually about 20fps faster? Not sure what that is about, my first run with hi-tek coated.:confused:

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I run a 14# spring in my 5.25/40. My minor loads run a 175gr LFP or LSWC @ 745fps. Either 3.1gr of WST or 3.0gr of RedDot. Both fill the case about half. The RD is actually a little more accurate, both will shoot under 1 1/2" @ 50ft offhand, but the WST feels softer. I tried some Missouri coated with the same charge to, vel was actually about 20fps faster? Not sure what that is about, my first run with hi-tek coated.:confused:
Hmmm... My results are slightly different. I used SNS in the same shape for a plain lead and coated and got a little slower (like 15fps) results with the coated bullet but it was a 9mm. But... guns are guns and bullets are bullets and they do not all act the same in various guns. I do remember that the plain lead bullet was 124grn whereas the coated (which does not have a lube groove) was 125grn, so that and the difference in friction with less bullet in contact with the barrel with the lube groove may have made the difference.

I considered Red Dot, but could not find any at the time, so your results are good to know! I still like WST for minor in 40 though.

Do you like the feel of the 14lb spring compared to the stock springs?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts