Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my XD-9 tactical to the range today, determined to shoot a sub-2" group using a modified Weaver stance at 25 yards. I tried three inexpensive "factory" loads:

1. Miwall Reloads (125 grn FMJ)
2. Win White Box 115 grn FMJ (bronze colored bullet)
3. Win White Box 115 grn FMJ "Improved Accuracy Bullet" (copper colored bullet)

All loads fed fine through the xd-9 tactical.

Out of the three loads, I found the Miwall performed with the least consistency, but I consider it ok for casual practice. The Miwall was noticeably milder than the white box. Next consistent was the Win White Box, with the "old" bronze-tinted bullet. Most accurate was the "improved accuracy bullet" (so marked on the box), which I think is now the standard win white box available from Walmart. I didn't quite make the sub-2" goal from my two-handed Weaver stance; however, I think the "improved accuracy" white box may well be capable of better accuracy, in the hands of a better shooter. The best five-shot group I could manage was 2 1/4 inches, as shown below.

I continue to be impressed with the feel and accuracy of the xd-9 tactical and if you are considering one, I highly recommend it!

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
that doesnt look 2 1"4 inch, since the 10 circle is usually 2" diameter

·
Registered
15 Posts
FWIW, I've found installation of an overtravel stop and a bicycle innertube over the grip to be tremendously helpful.

Although I am still tinkering, my best group yet is a single ragged whole about the size of a quarter at 25 feet.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"that doesnt look 2 1"4 inch, since the 10 circle is usually 2" diameter"

NexD, the Shoot and See target I used is 3" across. I really like them - they show hits well. Group measured 2 1/4" from farthest center to farthest center.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"FWIW, I've found installation of an overtravel stop and a bicycle innertube over the grip to be tremendously helpful.

Although I am still tinkering, my best group yet is a single ragged whole about the size of a quarter at 25 feet."

Thanks for the advice, zuk! I haven't had too much trouble with the overtravel, but the innertube sounds really intriguing - I may try that out next time!

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
rotnguns said:

NexD, the Shoot and See target I used is 3" across. I really like them - they show hits well. Group measured 2 1/4" from farthest center to farthest center.
On the 3" shoot and C the 10 ring is 1 inch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
rotnguns said:
I haven't had too much trouble with the overtravel, but the innertube sounds really intriguing - I may try that out next time!
Bicycle innertube is only a couple of dollars. I bought a 1 and 3/4" for a 26" wheel. It is thinner and stickier than those Hogue slip-on grips.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Congrats on the groups, regardless of the size. Next time you go to the range shoot groups at 25yds off the bench to see what the ammo is capable of doing. That will give you a reasonable expectation of what practical accuracy you can expect when standing on your two legs. I spent the last year trying 9x19 loads with a ransom rest at 25 and 50yds, and let me tell ya the 9x19 loads aint equal. Try some Federal 115gr jhp standard loads, and the 9BPLE loads are really good as well. Shooting off the bench will also show you if it is the ammo or you when you do shoot standing up...... 8) DougC

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
one-eyed-fatman said:
rotnguns said:

On the 3" shoot and C the 10 ring is 1 inch.
I stand corrected

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree with you about the limits of practical accuracy, Doug. I used to shoot alot from bags and a rest, but since most if not all competition shooting is done from a stance, I moved away from bench pistol shooting except when sighting in a new handgun. I've no doubt that the groups would shrink with all ammo off a rest; however, from the same handgun, I think relative accuracy between ammo types can be reasonably assessed as long as a consistent stance is achieved.

I sure like the idea of having a Ransom rest but the ones I have seen are quite expensive and they seem to be suited to only one type of gun without major adjustment. Am I wrong about this?

"Congrats on the groups, regardless of the size. Next time you go to the range shoot groups at 25yds off the bench to see what the ammo is capable of doing. That will give you a reasonable expectation of what practical accuracy you can expect when standing on your two legs. I spent the last year trying 9x19 loads with a ransom rest at 25 and 50yds, and let me tell ya the 9x19 loads aint equal. Try some Federal 115gr jhp standard loads, and the 9BPLE loads are really good as well. Shooting off the bench will also show you if it is the ammo or you when you do shoot standing up......" DougC

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you reload, and want to check mechanical accuracy. it is a must have. I borrowed one from a buddy. It kept me from going out of my mind with my custom barrel in a custom gun. I couldnt get a good load at 50yds with expensive jacketed bullets, but my lead load of 3.5 Titegroup with a 122 lfp would touch at 50yds. I will be trying some .356 jacketed super bullets next. I would have gone mad if I had just shot these off the bench or tried standing up...... :shock:

You can purchase new inserts for different guns, so once you have the initial purchase over it is about 40 bucks for a different insert. I have heard good things about the Win. lead freed frangible 102gr 9mm round, other than it is god awful expensive, but accurate as well......Good luck, Doug

1 - 11 of 11 Posts