Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to reload for 380 auto, 45 acp, 30-06, and possibly 9mm. i don't need super high out put, but i do need 100% reliability, preferably for less than $600. suggestions?

·
Registered
174 Posts
It's a little underrated, but the Lee Classic Turret Press is a great way to build a fair amount of super-accurate ammo. It won't be as fast as a progressive press like a Dillon 650, but it will be just as well done and faster than a single stage like the RCBS Rock Chucker. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
It's a little underrated, but the Lee Classic Turret Press is a great way to build a fair amount of super-accurate ammo. It won't be as fast as a progressive press like a Dillon 650, but it will be just as well done and faster than a single stage like the RCBS Rock Chucker. Hope that helps.
I agree, very few shooters actually need the volumn of an expensive progressive. The LCT is actually a decent piece of gear. If I could fit it w/ a better powder measure & priming system, I could be talked into buying one. I would probably still opt for a Dillon 550B for your needs though. The manual indexing lets you more easily control brass prep & such, basically an upside down turret press. You can go as slow as you like or as fast as you need.
A 550B w/ (4) tool heads & conversions, scale & calipers (about all you need), will run clsoer to $700, but consider it will hold it's value better than any other press & last longer than you will. Break it, Dillon fixes it for free. best money I ever spent on reloading gear. Now I also have a 650 but still load quite a bit on my ss press. For best economy, buy the press setup for one caliber form BrianEnos. Then look for dies & conversions on e-bay. You can save maybe $100 that way.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I've enjoyed the heck out of my Lee classic loader. People think I'm crazy, but I get a lot of nostalgic enjoyment doing it the "old school" way. It's going to be slower than using a turret press but it's a cool toy for < $25 for a complete kit and is a fun way to get started reloading.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Dillon 550 is very hard to beat lifetime warranty you can't beat their tech's excellent pistol dies check out their sight and prices If you ever want to sell it will be gone quick Have used mine for 14 yrs plus

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Dillon 550 is very hard to beat lifetime warranty you can't beat their tech's excellent pistol dies check out their sight and prices If you ever want to sell it will be gone quick Have used mine for 14 yrs plus
Yes sir & you will get almost all of your money back. Not many things you can use for 14yrs & sell & get your money back.;)

·
Registered
492 Posts
Dillon, I have powder thrower for each caliber of pistol I shot 9, 40, 45, 44, and one rifle 223 reason just change out in minutes check charge, seldom have to make any adjustments unless changing to a different powder. Clean it, lube ram, any problems call Dillon and they will send shipping numbers and fix free I've never had a major problem only minor things and Dillon will replace free

·
Registered
691 Posts
Remember that you need more than just a press and some dies. Powder measure if the press does not have one, scale, micrometer, case trimmer of some kind, etc. These can all add up quickly, so if your budget is $600 remember to price these first and then you have what you can spend on a press.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Remember that you need more than just a press and some dies. Powder measure if the press does not have one, scale, micrometer, case trimmer of some kind, etc. These can all add up quickly, so if your budget is $600 remember to price these first and then you have what you can spend on a press.
Yes, but all progresives come w/ a powder measure. You still need a good scale (not the Lee) to set the measure. If you only load handgun, no case trimmer is needed. For rifle, you'll get 2-3 reloads before trimming. Calipers, good dial ones are cheap enough. You can add a tumbler later, but brass is easily cleaned w/ water & simple green in a bucket, let dry & load. Dies & shell holders/plates of course. Some shell holders/plates will work w/ multiple calibers, so best to check before ordering. You can get everything for several caliberss in a LCT for less than $600.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I have had a Lyman Tmag turret press since the early 80's. Still going strong. Low tech but I like it. Lyman powder scale , Lyman,RCBS dies (carbide), dial caliper, lee case trimmer (.41 mag only) I don't trim 9mm or .380, Lyman 2 cavity 220 gr. bullet mold, lee .410 lead bullet sizer(slow but it does the job),lee primer tool (I like the "feel" a hand primer tool affords), Lyman turbo tumbler.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I'll put my $.02 in - I have a Lyman T-Mag and have been very pleased with it. The complete kit includes the press, powder measure, scale, case prep tools.

In addition, you would need the following: a tumbler & media, vernier caliper, reloading blocks & dies.

The Lyman comes with a digital scale - I would recommend investing in a balance scale as well.

The Lee is aluminum, and the Lyman is cast iron. Nothing against the Lee, just giving you more information to chew on.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
I'll be the RED man out.

Hornady LnL Progressive.

I've got two and they are an awesome press.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
so i am also completly ignorent to what all i need in addition to the press to start (in reference to this Lee turret press, on the dillon square deal, anything i need that the package doesn't offer?

pardon my ignorance, thanks

Lee Precision: Deluxe Turret Press Kit

Dillon Precision: Reloaders, Reloading Equipment, Bullet Reloading, Bullet Reloaders
You must have a scale to set the measure. You should have calipers to measure OAL. You do not need a tumbler but some find it easier to use. You can clean brass wet using water & SimpleGreen or a citrus cleaner, 100% dry & then reload. It's waiting for them to dry is why many use a tumbler. That is really about it for handguns. No trimmer needed for any service caliber. Magnums & rifle rounds can use a trimming about every 5-6 reloads if using full power ammo. No loading block for the turret or SDB, the empty brass goes in one side & loaded ammo out the other. A good stable bench to mount the press on.
If you haven't read ABCs of Reloading, you should. It's like reloading for Dummies. A good primer for the newb. At least two good reloading manuals, I like Lyman #49 & Speer #14.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for the comments, i need to talk to some people here in town and see a buddys set up in operation before i decide, but i'm leaning towards the Lyman Tmag.

thanks

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
thanks for the comments, i need to talk to some people here in town and see a buddys set up in operation before i decide, but i'm leaning towards the Lyman Tmag.

thanks
It's a good press, but if I were leaning turret, I would probably, & this kills me as I really don;t like Lee gear, but he Classic Turret is a pretty good press & the interchangeable heads is nice for swapping calibers quickly.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have another suggestion if you have a "Sportsmans Warehouse" store or other store like "Cabelas"...etc in your area many of them have a reloading class from time to time that would be worth attending.

One other note on the Dillon "Square Deal B" it can NOT do rifle calibers.. you would need at least a Dillon 550 for rifle calibers.

I am still new to reloading myself, and can say its an enjoyable hobby in addition to saving $ so you can shoot more frequently. I went with the 550 and for a complete newbie its really very easy to use and super rugged. I found a good deal on a lightly used one on an auction site with some of the calibers and such I was going to buy anyway. If you are patient you might find most of what you need in a gently used setup, for the budget you have.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts