Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What may have happened?

I was out just a little bit ago and I was doing some rapid fire shooting; as fast as I could pull the trigger. It happened twice.......

My XD45 went into full battery with a live round in the chamber, but he striker did not reset so it would fire again.

The first time I was like, :shock: :confused: waited a second, dropped the mag and pulled the slide back. I put the unfired round back in the mag and continued on.

The second time, I did the same thing but looked at the bullet. It had a very very light strike on the primer. I tried to get a pic of it, but I sux at the picture thing. I can post the pic Tuesday when I get to work. So what might have happened to cause it not to reset the striker?

I was out with my mags that I had modified to help solve the ftf(eed) issue that mine and many other XD45s have. I will get that thread posted Tuesday also (w/ pics).

·
Registered
17,488 Posts
My first thought was a low powered round that didn't fully cycle the slide.
This doesn't hold water though as ALL of my XDs and XDms will recock the striker by cycling the slide approx. 1/2 inch.
I'm thinking something gummed up the works so that the striker did not catch and was floating free as the slide returned to battery. This allowed the striker to be "floating free" and give a light contact on the primer. I am not anywhere near qualified to give a definite answer but will keep an eye on this thread for educational purposes.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could a dirty (uncleaned) weapon cause it? I haven't cleaned it for some time,... for a reason. I want to see just how uncleaned it can be before it has issues.

FWIW, it did it one time this afternoon too.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
A light primer strike is most likely caused by crud in the striker channel if it's not a hard primer. If it's not resetting then most likely the sear is not catching the striker. If you are using full power loads or factory ammo then possibly a weak sear spring. I'd detail clean and replace the spring if it still happens.

D

·
0 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to do a quick clean of the striker channel. Take your favorite spray cleaner that does not leave any residue, insert the straw thing into the nozzle, then insert the other end into the hole on the bottom of your slide, sort of next to/on the pickup rail (not the retainer pin hole). Put the straw in there, and blast away. Pull back the striker a bit, then spray again.

I recommend trying to wrap a plastic bag around the slide, because the cleaner will spray out of the striker hole and get everywhere otherwise.

This should help blast crud out of the striker channel without having had to break down the slide.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It wouldn't hurt to do a quick clean of the striker channel. Take your favorite spray cleaner that does not leave any residue, insert the straw thing into the nozzle, then insert the other end into the hole on the bottom of your slide, sort of next to/on the pickup rail (not the retainer pin hole). Put the straw in there, and blast away. Pull back the striker a bit, then spray again.

I recommend trying to wrap a plastic bag around the slide, because the cleaner will spray out of the striker hole and get everywhere otherwise.

This should help blast crud out of the striker channel without having had to break down the slide.
Yeah, I'll clean it out this weekend. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if that was the cause of the malf, but like I said, I haven't cleaned it for a reason. :D

I'm going out this evening with 3 newbs as long as it doesn't storm. I'm sure it will get some exercise, so we'll see if it has issues. The funny thing was that it only happened (3 times) when I was shooting as fast as I could pull the trigger. Slow controlled fire was a non-issue.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Are you oiling the striker channel when you clean?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,742 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
300 rds, I have well over that through my xdm, i am purposely not cleaning it. What problems do you have with your 45 mags? I have my Xd 45 for close to 4 years and have not had any problems with 3 dif mags. Just got a fourth ; )

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
300 rds, I have well over that through my xdm, i am purposely not cleaning it. What problems do you have with your 45 mags? I have my Xd 45 for close to 4 years and have not had any problems with 3 dif mags. Just got a fourth ; )

It's the classic nose dive fedding issue. There are many threads about it in here. A search will enlighten & frighten you. :)

It comes from several things. Mainly tolerances stacking up, IIRC. You may be a lucky one that has a 45 that never experiences problems.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Total....? I would guess less than 3,000.

Since last cleaning,... maybe 300.

Real rough guesstimates.
My friend that i sold my XDM to shot it close to 1k rounds without cleaning with no failures.
My guess would be gum in the channel from over lubing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts