Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From their press release:

IMR 4166 is the first in the series of Enduron™ propellants. It’s a perfect burn speed for cartridges like the 308 Win/7.62mm NATO, 22-250 Remington, 257 Roberts and dozens more.

IMR 4451 Another new Enduron powder that gives top performance in the venerable .30-06, 270 Winchester, and 300 Winchester Short Magnum, to name just a few. This propellant is ideally suited for many mid-range burn speed cartridges.

IMR 7977 is the slowest burn rate Enduron Technology powder. It is a true magnum cartridge propellant with outstanding performance in such cartridges as the .300 Winchester Magnum, 7mm Remington Magnum, .338 Lapua and more.
4166 sounds like a great 223/5.56 powder to me. A member on ARFCOM found data already and said it looks like it's between 8208XBR and Varget in burn rate. Very similar to Hodgdon's "Extreme" line of extruded powders.

I'm pretty excited to get my hands on some next year.

Read more here

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Be nice if they just produced the powders we already use instead of doing something new. I am sure it is cheaper to produce than some of their other powders, maybe be better or not than what they are replacing. After all, they are really only in it for the $$.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Like Fred, I think it's a waste of resources unless it comes from an entirely new supplier and is one of that maker's stock powders. Otherwise they should concentrate on producing the powders we are used to and need. I still feel that powder production in THIS country is woefully inadequate and has been for at least a decade. This situation is getting worse, not better, because of all the new shooters and reloaders (glad to have them) who are wanting more powder whether for reloading or just in consumer ammunition.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
I'm not currently using any IMR powders, but I agree that boosting production of current powders makes more sense. Other than that, I'm always interested to see new powders arrive. The one thing I don't get is I haven't seen anything mentioning physical size of the grains. IMO, any new extruded powder should incorporate newer technology in creating smaller sized granules. Maybe that's been addressed but it would be nice if it were stated along with what Enduron technology brings to the table that we don't already have. ;)

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've heard it's IMR's version of the "Extreme" powders from Hodgdon.

You guys are right - it sounds just like a rehash of old powders... But if they continue to manufacture their current line at current volume, and use a new plant or line for these new powders, I wouldn't mind trying it out.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
I've heard it's IMR's version of the "Extreme" powders from Hodgdon.

You guys are right - it sounds just like a rehash of old powders... But if they continue to manufacture their current line at current volume, and use a new plant or line for these new powders, I wouldn't mind trying it out.

Taylor, are these powders coming from Australia like Varget? In the past with existing IMR powders, they are made in Canada. I'm not really up on where the Hodgdon Extreme powders are made except that Varget comes from Austrlia and some of the others that have been on the market for years, Hodgdon includes with the dewsignation, "Extreme." ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts