Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an Uncle Mikes #15 holster for my XD Sub a long time ago. The thing cost me $10 at a gun store, so I guess that's full price.

What I liked about it was that it was very thin. The XDs are pretty thick and any additional thickness is not what I want. I love the smell of good leather as much as the next guy, but for concealment I want "compact".

As it is, I have been carrying my Llama .380 more than the XD for the past few months...Summers in South Florida are brutal and wearing shorts and a t-shirt the Llama, being not much more than half the thickness of the XD, has served me well.

Now that the weather is changing enough that I can wear shirts other than t-shirts, I want to carry the XD more. I do have a better quality holster than the Uncle Mikes, but it's kind of thick (stays open enough for re-holstering, but that is not a big concern for me for self defense).

The Uncle Mikes had one flaw. I was always concerned the gun could possibly slip out of the holster.

Today I found a little bit of Velcro and a needle and thread (blue thread when black was in order, but hopefully no one would ever see it anyway).

So here's my new and improved Uncle Mikes #15. I had cut off the front so I could use it with my 1911 as the pics show (sorry about the slightly blurred pics...by the time I realized it, it was too late).

Here (below) is my .380 Llama in it's no-name gun show $10 holster (that came equipped with Velcro...no sewing required) :D Concealed and Revealed. I like carrying this gun in this manner. Works better with some shirts than others. If the shirt rides up I'll put the rig in my waistband. But this way usually works. If part of the clip shows I figure anyone who knows what it is is unlikely to care.

And finally, since all guns need to be shown with knives, here's my .380 with a few new switchblades and my car-key with it's ubiquitous mini-Swiss Army Knife. Strangely I could not find my favorite switchblade, my $6 "California legal" sub 2 inch knife. I had it earlier tonight..actually used it to open a box. :? In the picture is my new straight edge razor. THAT is a SHARP BLADE!!!! Practicing a little bit every day. Getting the hang of it. I think it's all in getting a good lather. :!:

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Delija
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:52 am Post subject: Improved $10 XD Holster
I bought an Uncle Mikes #15 holster for my XD Sub a long time ago. The thing cost me $10 at a gun store, so I guess that's full price.

What I liked about it was that it was very thin. The XDs are pretty thick and any additional thickness is not what I want. I love the smell of good leather as much as the next guy, but for concealment I want "compact".
Another good option is the "Pant Pal" from the Pager Pal company .http://pagerpal.gunserver.com/product_info.php?products_id=30

This holster has an nonreinforced opening which allows it to lay completely flat without the gun inserted, and only minimally open with the weapon holstered. Various wear options, but for me, strong side at 3:00 is fine. Holster outline in minimal at best and my XD40 can be concealed under a light (darker) t-shirt without any problem.

Not my favorite holster, but certaiinly has a place in my weaponry wardrobe! :wink:

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Delija, it wasn't about the guns, holster or knives, you just wanted everyone to know you have a BMW, huh? :D

Would you be able to withdraw your weapon fast enough if necessary or does that retention strap reduce your speed? Do you really do something physically active enough to be concerned about losing the gun. Just curious, not knocking your choice.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
retired said:
Delija, it wasn't about the guns, holster or knives, you just wanted everyone to know you have a BMW, huh? :D

Would you be able to withdraw your weapon fast enough if necessary or does that retention strap reduce your speed? Do you really do something physically active enough to be concerned about losing the gun. Just curious, not knocking your choice.
I will add that I have an Uncle Mike's #15, and the gun never feels totally secure to me in this holster. I don't like retention straps/thumb breaks, so my answer was to get a different holster rather than modify the one I had. The strap he added looks like it will come open with a firm draw, since it's thin, and the velcro surface doesn't appear to be very large.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts