Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
I read this. It does indeed seem counterintuitive.

But hey, I'll gladly take a nice deer to help the population.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
What makes me madder is when the federal natural resources guys go about reducing deer population in some areas by sniping them en masse. They won't just open the land up to hunters who would gladly take a couple deer. That really pisses me off.

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
I'll do my best sir!!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
The low numbers locally are from predation and a harsh winter. Blasting away won't help that situation, but culling the weaker members (aka; hunting for meat, not for points) might.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
What makes me madder is when the federal natural resources guys go about reducing deer population in some areas by sniping them en masse. They won't just open the land up to hunters who would gladly take a couple deer. That really pisses me off.

I don't even want to hear how angry you are.

I live and hunt (some) in the heart of IL's northern Chronic Wasting Disease zone. The DNR does a ton of "population reduction," AND I got an email from the IL DNR a few weeks back claiming they are REDUCING the amount of whitetail tags available statewide by over 7,000.

I'm F****** PISSED.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
The low numbers locally are from predation and a harsh winter. Blasting away won't help that situation, but culling the weaker members (aka; hunting for meat, not for points) might.
The problem in my opinion is hunters shooting the "trophy" type game animals/fish. You want the trophys to breed so cull the lesser.

·
Registered
8,708 Posts
I've tried boiling antlers for soup...it don't work.
Got a nice rack on the wall, awesome! But you didn't grow it.....

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
The problem in my opinion is hunters shooting the "trophy" type game animals/fish. You want the trophys to breed so cull the lesser.
It has more to do with age, a lot of trophy animals are past good breeding years too, so it's not an either or.....2-3 year old bucks are often the most "productive" but have smaller racks than older less prime bucks....so, it does depend

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
It has more to do with age, a lot of trophy animals are past good breeding years too, so it's not an either or.....2-3 year old bucks are often the most "productive" but have smaller racks than older less prime bucks....so, it does depend
Racks decline as they age past their prime as well.

Based on the crap I've been shooting lately, many local hunters have been letting the lopsided and "ugly" racked animals breed for far too long.

I've seen legal spike on a faun still following Ma-ma and a 10 pointer that was later aged to be just a 1 1/2 year old buck.

I've also killed a barely legal 3 pointer with the body size of at least a 2 year old.

Not every scraggly spike will become a beautiful 8+ pointer ready to be recorded into Boon and Crocket if given a couple more years. Some really just need their genetic material culled to keep the herd strong.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Racks decline as they age past their prime as well.

Based on the crap I've been shooting lately, many local hunters have been letting the lopsided and "ugly" racked animals breed for far too long.

I've seen legal spike on a faun still following Ma-ma and a 10 pointer that was later aged to be just a 1 1/2 year old buck.

I've also killed a barely legal 3 pointer with the body size of at least a 2 year old.

Not every scraggly spike will become a beautiful 8+ pointer ready to be recorded into Boon and Crocket if given a couple more years. Some really just need their genetic material culled to keep the herd strong.
Racks only start to decline in 6 - 8th year. I have never even seen a 6yr old honestly but would love too. qdma protocols are not to shoot a buck less than 4yo unless his genetics will weaken the herd. I agree, take those guys out but a nice 6pt 2 yr old could produce a very nice deer in his later life.

·
Registered
30,301 Posts
I don't even want to hear how angry you are.

I live and hunt (some) in the heart of IL's northern Chronic Wasting Disease zone. The DNR does a ton of "population reduction," AND I got an email from the IL DNR a few weeks back claiming they are REDUCING the amount of whitetail tags available statewide by over 7,000.

I'm F****** PISSED.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kill 'em all!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts