Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I had my first failure to eject on my new XD9 service. Second time at the range with it and today I shot around 250 rounds (400 to 475 total) My coworker said that I had little too much oil on the gun. For cleaning I am using Break Free Powder Blast with basic tools and for oil I use Hoppe's Elite Gun Oil, I did have little more than I should (ruffly 2 or 3 drops of oil) I also shot two mags performing double tap shots....This is my first pistol and im not overly concern but I would like to know if there is anything I did wrong or was it just a random failure to eject, or if there is any recommendations for better cleaning/oiling products or tech niche.

few other notes, ive never dropped my mags and i was shooting winchester white box and federals fmj 115g,

quick pic of my XD9, haven't cleaned it, crayons didn't melt either

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Work on good firm grip especially when firing fast follow ups.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Today I had my first failure to eject on my new XD9 service. Second time at the range with it and today I shot around 250 rounds (400 to 475 total) My coworker said that I had little too much oil on the gun. For cleaning I am using Break Free Powder Blast with basic tools and for oil I use Hoppe's Elite Gun Oil, I did have little more than I should (ruffly 2 or 3 drops of oil) I also shot two mags performing double tap shots....This is my first pistol and im not overly concern but I would like to know if there is anything I did wrong or was it just a random failure to eject, or if there is any recommendations for better cleaning/oiling products or tech niche.

few other notes, ive never dropped my mags and i was shooting winchester white box and federals fmj 115g,

quick pic of my XD9, haven't cleaned it, crayons didn't melt either

I believe you're not supposed to oil the striker channel... However, I could be wrong. I have the same xd with no issues at around 700-800 rounds (using the same Winchesters you're shooting with, and jacketed hollow points). The guns actually get better (smoother) the more you shoot with them...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Work on good firm grip especially when firing fast follow ups.
well it was my coworker who was shooting when it happened but afterwards we (2 coworkers and I) shot about another 100 rounds and no problem. it was a fun day shooting a xd9 sub, my xd9 and s&w sd9

I believe you're not supposed to oil the striker channel... However, I could be wrong. I have the same xd with no issues at around 700-800 rounds (using the same Winchesters you're shooting with, and jacketed hollow points). The guns actually get better (smoother) the more you shoot with them...
there are so many videos on cleaning and oiling im confused... some of the guys who seem to know how to do it use like 5 different products and i just want 2 or 3 at most.... what are your thoughts on cleaners that lube as well?

·
Registered
192 Posts
It could be a lot of things. I wouldn't sweat one malfunction. It happens. I've honestly never had a malfunction in my XD that wasn't caused by crappy ammo. Maybe it was a light load? (WWB is good, but it's possible)

The problem caused by overlubrication is greasy hands. Based off what I know, there's no reason excess lube would cause FTE. Not enough lube maybe, but not too much. I hear what I consider crapola all the time about how overlubing causes problems. Often, these are the guys with dry weapons and frequent malfunctions.

I also think the limp wrist thing is crapola. You shouldn't need a kung fu ninja grip on a pistol for it to work. In fact, a firearm should work whether it is Chuck Norris shooting it, or Natalie Portman. I shoot my guns as relaxed as possible. Stiff=jerky and innaccurate.

·
Registered
297 Posts
well it was my coworker who was shooting when it happened but afterwards we (2 coworkers and I) shot about another 100 rounds and no problem. it was a fun day shooting a xd9 sub, my xd9 and s&w sd9

there are so many videos on cleaning and oiling im confused... some of the guys who seem to know how to do it use like 5 different products and i just want 2 or 3 at most.... what are your thoughts on cleaners that lube as well?
I saw a video that compared most major lubes here on the forums, and Smith & Wesson's (along with Balistol and Militec) seemed to hold up better than the rest. IMO the S & W premium lube is a much better product than Hoppe's elite, and easier to apply. My local gun store stocks it for around 8 bucks...

As for cleaners, I bought a bunch of Hoppe's Elite at Wal-Mart so I'm pretty much stuck with that for a while. It seems to work well enough. I'll do some research when the supply is up for any better alternatives though.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-gunsmithing-maintenance/174605-best-gun-cleaner-5.html

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
It could be a lot of things. I wouldn't sweat one malfunction. It happens. I've honestly never had a malfunction in my XD that wasn't caused by crappy ammo. Maybe it was a light load? (WWB is good, but it's possible)

The problem caused by overlubrication is greasy hands. Based off what I know, there's no reason excess lube would cause FTE. Not enough lube maybe, but not too much. I hear what I consider crapola all the time about how overlubing causes problems. Often, these are the guys with dry weapons and frequent malfunctions.

I also think the limp wrist thing is crapola. You shouldn't need a kung fu ninja grip on a pistol for it to work. In fact, a firearm should work whether it is Chuck Norris shooting it, or Natalie Portman. I shoot my guns as relaxed as possible. Stiff=jerky and innaccurate.
Complete misinformation in this post.....:rolleyes:

1. Overlubing can and does cause problems... blowback turns that excess oil into hard sludge, which can gum up the striker, the extractor, the magazines, etc... simple physics, if something cant move, it doesnt work.

2. Limp wristing can and does cause failure to eject... again simple physics, if the slide doesnt fully cycle then it doesnt work.

Plenty of shooters who actually know what they are talking about and have experienced these issues can confirm this.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Complete misinformation in this post.....:rolleyes:

1. Overlubing can and does cause problems... blowback turns that excess oil into hard sludge, which can gum up the striker, the extractor, the magazines, etc... simple physics, if something cant move, it doesnt work.

2. Limp wristing can and does cause failure to eject... again simple physics, if the slide doesnt fully cycle then it doesnt work.

Plenty of shooters who actually know what they are talking about and have experienced these issues can confirm this.
Please expound upon this blowback theory, and how it majically turns lubricant into cement. The closest thing to what you are describing I've seen happen only in chitty rifles with internal gas system (cough AR cough) that turn lube into sludge with excessive carbon deposits in the reciever. And the most immediate answer is...more lube. The real answer is to clean it and trade it in for a better rifle.

Try to keep in mind that the op said he might have had a few extra drops of lube on an XD. Gosh better get that gun to a smith while you can still save it.

Simple physics also dictate that a functioning semi auto pistol that doesn't end up pointed at you after you fire it, should cycle. You're right though I'm sure he only "limp wristed" one round recently and found it odd enough to post on a forum. Have you ever been to a range and seen someone with a horrible grip? Looked like they might drop the gun after every shot? Seems they should be having all sorts of "limp wristing" problems. Never seems to be the case. But I do get a good kick out of watching 220 lbs guys with kung fu grips say "Maybe I limp wristed it?" when they can't figure out why their gun malfunctioned. No way it's a round that fed wierd due to the mag, a piece of debris that got dislodged when he racked the slide, a slightly out of spec recoil spring, or a weak recoil spring getting tired.

I love how people want to talk about problems that exist .00000000001% of the time to 0% of the time. If it ain't a magazine, recoil spring, extractor or ammo, might as well take it into a smith or an exorcist to get the wierd demon out of your pistol.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
If it ain't a magazine, recoil spring, extractor or ammo, might as well take it into a smith or an exorcist to get the wierd demon out of your pistol.
I always figured it was Gremlins ;)

And yea, I'd bet it was limp wristing ... A couple of extra drops :shock:
I'll take a picture when I get home tomorrow, of how lubed up mine always is, and it's ran many, many rounds, many times, and has never failed due to excessive lube.

Disclaimer, the striker stays pretty dry !!!

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Please expound upon this blowback theory, and how it majically turns lubricant into cement. The closest thing to what you are describing I've seen happen only in chitty rifles with internal gas system (cough AR cough) that turn lube into sludge with excessive carbon deposits in the reciever. And the most immediate answer is...more lube. The real answer is to clean it and trade it in for a better rifle.

Try to keep in mind that the op said he might have had a few extra drops of lube on an XD. Gosh better get that gun to a smith while you can still save it.

Simple physics also dictate that a functioning semi auto pistol that doesn't end up pointed at you after you fire it, should cycle. You're right though I'm sure he only "limp wristed" one round recently and found it odd enough to post on a forum. Have you ever been to a range and seen someone with a horrible grip? Looked like they might drop the gun after every shot? Seems they should be having all sorts of "limp wristing" problems. Never seems to be the case. But I do get a good kick out of watching 220 lbs guys with kung fu grips say "Maybe I limp wristed it?" when they can't figure out why their gun malfunctioned. No way it's a round that fed wierd due to the mag, a piece of debris that got dislodged when he racked the slide, a slightly out of spec recoil spring, or a weak recoil spring getting tired.

I love how people want to talk about problems that exist .00000000001% of the time to 0% of the time. If it ain't a magazine, recoil spring, extractor or ammo, might as well take it into a smith or an exorcist to get the wierd demon out of your pistol.
1. Theres no "magic" involved in turning oil into sludge... blowback mixing with lubricant turns it into sludge, hardens it, and the heat from firing hardens it even more... ever had to scrape gunk off the bolt face, the feed ramp, or from under the edge of the extractor? Yeah... its magic that doesnt happen:rolleyes:

2. Recoil operates the slide... if your hand and the frame moves backward because your wrist is limp, some of that recoil energy is not being used to operate the slide... not rocket science:rolleyes:

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
1. Theres no "magic" involved in turning oil into sludge... blowback mixing with lubricant turns it into sludge, hardens it, and the heat from firing hardens it even more... ever had to scrape gunk off the bolt face, or from under the edge of the extractor? Yeah... its magic that doesnt happen:rolleyes:
Not on an XD ... Never !!!

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Not on an XD ... Never !!!
I never said it had to be an XD, I'm speaking in terms of any weapon... My 400+ $$$ M&P 15-22 hated oil, my 200 $$$ 10/22 doesnt seem to mind a little extra... my point is it can be a problem, outright saying it cant is BS;)

·
Registered
931 Posts
Had my first and only 2 FTE within the first 200 rounds of me shooting my XD9 service, also using WWB.

partly due to dirty ammo, partly due to my grip/form/etc...

I researched a lot more on the web about proper grip (thumbs-forward/high-tang grip) and now with near 500 rounds through it, not one single failure.

I had tried several different brands of ammo with no issues. And, I also don't clean after every range visit.

The gun definitely loosens up and gets better with more rounds

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts

Limp wristing is a myth.
Limpwristing being a myth is a myth. I've seen it happen on several occasions. One prime example lady with a brand new colt goldcup out of 5 mags she could never go through a full mag with out a failure to extract. Her instructor a cop would load the exact same mag and shoot it dry with no problems. You could plainly see she was limpwristing. I've seen more.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts