Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not worth wondering if the AWB is coming because it most likely is. I am in need of a rifle before it becomes impossible to buy or maybe even own. :(..:x

I have been looking at the Sig 556 or doing an AR build. I like the Sig because it comes with everything you would ever want out of an AR for less $, like a free float barrel, piston system, flip up sights, folding stock, enough rail space and the one I'm looking at even comes with an optic.

I like the AR for the modularity and compatibility.It also feels tighter in my hand. Although I am not a fan of it's controls or it's charging handle.

If you are going to talk me out of the Sig could you reccomend a good build kit and upper? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
It sounds like you want the sig instead of an AR, so just get it.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Get both before you can't !! :D

As far as lower receivers, I like CMMG, RRA, Tactical Innovations, Larue, etc. As far as a complete upper, I think the best thing out there that I can find is the LMT.

·
Premium Member
8,922 Posts
I know what you mean about the charging handle, it is a little weird. If you're ok with spending a little extra you can do what my father did with his and get the receiver milled out and a charge handle on the side. Here's a pic:

PM me if your interested and I'll send you the info.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I was in your situation, torn between the AR-15 and the new Sig 556 and aware that a new Assault Weapons Ban is looming. The gun magazine writers must get hand inspected Sig rifles, since the 556 reviews have been so glowing. I have learned long ago not to trust most gun mag reviews. Patrick Sweeny is trustworthy since he is a gunsmith and honest.

Inspecting Sig 556 rifles myself at gun shows and local shops, I have found them to be surprisingly varible in fit and finish. One had wobbly front and rear sights (not good for accuracy). One had huge play between the upper and lower receivers. Another was tight as a drum (I was very close to buying that one. It seemed high priced at the time, now it would be a great price). The best versions have the Magpul folding stock and quad rail fore grip, at a price. In the end, the poor external quality control had me concerned about internal QC. Plus the 556 feels front heavy and poorly balanced. To be fair I have not fired one. That tight example would have been a nice addition to anyone's collection, but I blew that chance. I got past the urge to buy a Sig 556.

In the end, I went with a Rock River Arms LAR-15 16" mid-length match-trigger and have not looked back. Excellent fit and finish. Best stock AR trigger I have tried. Lots of aftermarket goodies. Oodles of options and combinations. Two more RRA's on the way.

I suggest you get on the ball as rifles, uppers, lowers, parts, mags, and ammo are dwindling.

Now the FNH SCAR light, now that looks interesting.......

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
nothing wrong with the Sig, for the money you spend on the Sig you can get two ARs moderately decked out.

but if you got the cash go for the Sig

im not a fan of the stock AR charging handle either but put a PRI big Latch on it and it works out just fine for me.

The Piston operating system is a Nice plus to but it can be added to an AR as well for around $400 so its not like Sig is giving you something for free.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
The Sig 556 charging handle is on the right side. Many critics say this is the wrong side for right handed shooters.

That custom AR's charging handle is on the correct (left) side for right handed shooters. Is it non-reciprocating?

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks that photo looks photo shopped? I know it can be done and it's not really anything out of ordinary but it just looks really grainy.

·
Premium Member
8,922 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks that photo looks photo shopped? I know it can be done and it's not really anything out of ordinary but it just looks really grainy.
It's not. That is my dads AR, but the pic doesn't do it justice.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It sounds like you want the sig instead of an AR, so just get it.
I guess it does sound like that doesn't it? But in reality if I can find a good quality AR kit I may just just go with that.

Send me some links or some names and I'll look into it.

The way I look at it I can build a decent AR that will accept all the upgrades for less than what they are charging for the Sig.

I'm still on the fence.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know what you mean about the charging handle, it is a little weird. If you're ok with spending a little extra you can do what my father did with his and get the receiver milled out and a charge handle on the side. Here's a pic:

PM me if your interested and I'll send you the info.
That may be something to look at in the future. Nice job! That's right were you'd want one if you're a righty.

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
If you are willing to wait a couple of weeks there is a good group buy over on ar15.com. There was also a group buy posted on this forum somewhere. Buy a stag kit and then all you need is a lower to put it together. You can customize it as time goes by or order all the extra parts you want and build it how you see fit.

AR15.COM :: Forums :: GROUP BUY STAG/CMT M-4 RIFLE KIT LESS STRIPPED LOWER $599 shipped still running

Everyone is going to be back ordered on kits, complete rifles, lowers, and even parts.

Essential Arms is your best shot for a lower right now. Give them a call.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That custom AR's charging handle is on the correct (left) side for right handed shooters. Is it non-reciprocating?

I'm curious too.

Okay I like the LMT uppers but maybe I can keep the price down a little.

Any other suggestions for the upper receiver? (quad rail, no fixed front sight, no handle, 16" around $1000)

I think I'll go with an assembled lower with guts, tube and stock for times sake.

All in all I'm shooting for around $1200

I am an aircraft mechanic and have a full complement of tools but are there any special tools that I need? Do they come in a kit? Link?

If you can't tell yes this is a crash course in AR building. Don't be afraid to provide links. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you are willing to wait a couple of weeks there is a good group buy over on ar15.com. There was also a group buy posted on this forum somewhere. Buy a stag kit and then all you need is a lower to put it together. You can customize it as time goes by or order all the extra parts you want and build it how you see fit.

AR15.COM :: Forums :: GROUP BUY STAG/CMT M-4 RIFLE KIT LESS STRIPPED LOWER $599 shipped still running

Everyone is going to be back ordered on kits, complete rifles, lowers, and even parts.

Essential Arms is your best shot for a lower right now. Give them a call.
Outstanding thank you. :cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts