Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so... as most of you know my last 9mm was stolen, and I plan to replace it with a .40 XDM Compact.

I've already purchased the LG-448 (Sitting on my dinning room table!) and the Crossbread SuperTuck for it.. but now I'm having second thoughts. I've heard alot of guys around here (who've never shot it mind you) say that the recoil of a .40 on a compact model would be ridiculous.

There isn't one in town that I can test with, and I still have alot of 9mm ammo (including some HST's!).

So what do you guys think? Is the .40 compact really that bad and should i go with the 9mm? Or do you think i can handle a .40? Knowing that you guys have no idea who i am or how i'm built i realize that may be a difficult thing to say, but if it helps at all.. i'm 6'2, 230lbs, aaand i have a beard.

Lemme guess.. Buy both right?
Thanks
-Flashy

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have owned some guns that hurt and I would get rid of them as fast as I could. A lot of years of experimenting and a lot of money I settled on the XD9mm. I have had the Service and the Subcompact in the origtinal XD however, I got an XDm40 in a trade and I LOVED it.

Long and short, I sold the fullsize and I bought the Compact, and I will be selling my XD9 soon and buying the 9mm conversion barell. I like having options and this would effectively give me a lot of options in 1 gun.

Full Capacity 9 and 40
SubCompact Capacity in 9 and 40.

The 40 has a little more punch but I shot 100 rounds yesterday and it wasn't bad at all. It is a heavier slide and I feel it absorbs a lot of the potential punch. I would recommend it if you like options.

my 2cents!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have owned some guns that hurt and I would get rid of them as fast as I could. A lot of years of experimenting and a lot of money I settled on the XD9mm. I have had the Service and the Subcompact in the origtinal XD however, I got an XDm40 in a trade and I LOVED it.

Long and short, I sold the fullsize and I bought the Compact, and I will be selling my XD9 soon and buying the 9mm conversion barell. I like having options and this would effectively give me a lot of options in 1 gun.

Full Capacity 9 and 40
SubCompact Capacity in 9 and 40.

The 40 has a little more punch but I shot 100 rounds yesterday and it wasn't bad at all. It is a heavier slide and I feel it absorbs a lot of the potential punch. I would recommend it if you like options.

my 2cents!
That's actually pretty logical.. I hadn't even thought about the conversion kits.

I even ordered 2 Pearce grips extenders for that joker lol..

I appreciate your feedback. I think you just talked me into the .40 lol...

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
I prefer 9mm over .40 weapons. Heck...I prefer 9mm over almost all other handgun calibers.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
40 all the way. Don't listen to the "it'll break wrist" recoil hoopla. 40/9 recoil feels the same I think.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I have the .40 XDMc and love it. I had only shot 9mm before and this was my first handgun bigger than that. It really is not bad at all. I think the gun absorbs the recoil very well. A friend of mine has a S&W M&P 9mm and it recoils almost as much. Very little difference IMO. Then you toss on that you have options like the 9mm barrel in the .40 ... no brainer.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
. I've heard alot of guys around here (who've never shot it mind you) say that the recoil of a .40 on a compact model would be ridiculous.

-Flashy

What are you, an undernourished 9 year old girl??;)

sheeesh, you won't notice the difference. Get the .40.

OK, that was harsh. The only real reason to get the 9mm is if you are standardizing on NATO calibers or funds are real tight and the slightly lower price for factory ammo will help. But if that's the case, why not reload and save more?

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
but if it helps at all.. i'm 6'2, 230lbs, aaand i have a beard.

-Flashy

if you are using your beard to reduce recoil I need to say you are probably doing it wrong.

I have a 4.5 inch .40 xdm. its fun. I have not shot a compact version but I cant see it being that big of a deal.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Okay, so... as most of you know my last 9mm was stolen, and I plan to replace it with a .40 XDM Compact.

I've already purchased the LG-448 (Sitting on my dinning room table!) and the Crossbread SuperTuck for it.. but now I'm having second thoughts. I've heard alot of guys around here (who've never shot it mind you) say that the recoil of a .40 on a compact model would be ridiculous.

There isn't one in town that I can test with, and I still have alot of 9mm ammo (including some HST's!).

So what do you guys think? Is the .40 compact really that bad and should i go with the 9mm? Or do you think i can handle a .40? Knowing that you guys have no idea who i am or how i'm built i realize that may be a difficult thing to say, but if it helps at all.. i'm 6'2, 230lbs, aaand i have a beard.

Thanks
-Flashy

Well I have the 9mm 3.8" full 19 round capacity. I love it. Nearly 5000 rounds and not a single failure. I have no doubt that the 40 would be just as reliable. I chose the 9mm because I would rather shoot ammunition than admire its price and not shoot. That being said I bought an SA Range Officer 1911 and love it too. Hope the new gun is a single stack subcompact 9mm. But looking at the list o guns I'm guessing a compact 3.8" 45 ACP

D

·
0 Posts
I would just stick with 9. 9 works fine, you'll get faster follow up shots especially in a compact form factor, and the ammo is cheaper.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
.40 over 9mm any day.

·
Registered
113 Posts

Thanks
-Flashy
The recoil on the .40 Compact is not bad at all. I shot mine this weekend immediately after running about 75 rounds downrange from my new 9mm CZ 75B and never gave a 2nd thought to the difference in the recoil. Granted it is more, but not enough for recoil to enter the decision making process. OTOH if I had that much 9mm ammo I would stick with the 9.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I started with 9mm, but once I had enough range time under my belt, I found that the recoil issue is not all that cracked up to be. I now have a 45 ACP 1911 and love shooting it. However, my preference is with 9mm - plenty of ammo, cheap, and effective for my needs. When I carry my XDM 9 compact, I have 20 rounds in there ready for duty.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm 5'7 120 lbs soaking wet with shoes on...No beard. I bought a xdm40c and shooting the thing is a blast. Ammo isn't bad priced at all either. 100 rounds of wwb for 28 bucks at the wally world. Whatever you feel comfortable shooting though!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts