Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I love my XD's. Both have been 100% reliable and great to shot.
BUT
I will not accept the fact that I have to live with a gun that turns to crap every time it gets humid. I bought my subcompact new last summer.
After the second time it rusted, I called but I had already cleaned it off.
(I take care of my stuff and I also caught it early). They said that if
it happened again they would Armory Kote it. So a few weeks ago I pull it out of the safe, getting ready for a range trip. Now it was no longer than
a week or two since I last looked at it and it was fine. But this time the
whole slide turned brown with some rust spotting in areas. I called, they
said send it in. They service department calls and says "we cleaned it, its fine". I have to fight to get it refinished, like it should be, then I'm told my shipping won't be refunded but I'll have it back by that Friday the 7th.
Come the 10th I call and ask where my gun is. "Oh it will be there no later than Wed the 13th". Wed I call "Oh looks like tommorow".

So I won't be here and I have to make special arrangement for someone to pick it up. I demanded I get my shipping back, which is standard, since the gun is a week after I was promised. I shouldn't have paid in the first place. I get told NO. I shouldn't have to pay one cent to have an inferior product fixed. I paid for a quality gun, not one that corrodes in anything but ideal conditions. I will never buy another SA product again.
Why should I, so I have to dump more money into fixing something that shouldn't have been delivered to me like that.
I'll take that same money and put it on a Glock or a Sig.

They tell me, that the rust wasn't bad enough. SO word to the wise, neglect your XD so they'll take care of you. Treat it like crap and they'll
help you. Let it turn into a rust monster or forget about it.

SA-don't put your name and warranty a product that you can't live up to the agreement to. My barrel even rusted on the outside. How does that happen, when the gun in oiled inside. I'm not going to have to babysit something to make sure its alright, when everything else in my safe is fine.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I really think springfield needs to seriously look into their finishes and rectify the problem they obviously know exists.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
wow... thats the worst service i have ever heard anyone get.

i remember people sending in thier guns with the rust wiped off and still getting it refinished. mine got rust on it and i called and they said send it in, even after i wiped it off.

you need to ask for Megan at the custom shop and talk to her about it.

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
Just for the record, I have had mine going on one year now, have used blue wonder for about six months. Not one sign of rust. I shot it last about the end of May, just cleaned it last week, keep it stored in a un heated / cooled garage.

Sorry to hear about yours. Did you explain that it is an ongoing problem?

I called a lock company awhile ago and threw a fit because of a poorly operating door lock-they did nothing :evil: . I just sent an email nicly saying the same thing, I have had a couple of their reps call and leave messages stating I will get new locks :D

Maybe ask what they are going to do for you because they have had the gun longer then they should have.

Ask what are you to do the next time it is rusty? Should you send it to them as is or will just a picture suffice?

Ask them what it takes to get the problem solved.

worth a try anyway

just my .0000002 cents

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Are you wiping down your gun with anything before you put it away? Silicon impregnated cloth, Armadillo wax, Birchwood Casey Sheath, etc.?

I agree that the response from SA is less than satisfactory and we all know that the XD finish is the weakest link in an otherwise outstanding weapon but then again, some folks say that have had no problems. My recommendation - because the gun, fit and finish is otherwise outstanding, is to bite the bullet (no pun intended) and get your slide and its "innards" refinished, circumventing the factory altogether - your gun will be tied up for weeks no doubt.

Send it to a reputable refinisher. For $60 give or take it's a no brainer. I am referring to Tripp Cobra Coating or an equivalent after-mareket re-finish. If you really want to be be on the safe side, opt for hard chrome, e.g., Cobra Chrome.

I had my slide back from Tripp in a week and for the cost of 3 boxes of factory ammo.

www.trippresearch.com

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wipe it with a silicon cloth and rest it on it as well.
Every so often I put a coat of Eezox on it, but why should
I have to carry a greasy gun.
I rarely even carry it because I know it will rust.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
locosteelersfan said:
I wipe it with a silicon cloth and rest it on it as well.
Every so often I put a coat of Eezox on it, but why should
I have to carry a greasy gun.
I rarely even carry it because I know it will rust.
Loco, don't make me come out and administer some frontier justice :)
Send the d--n slide to Tripp and forget about it. The XD is just too darn good otherwise.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Do slide refinishers offer a warranty on their work? I know trip is a very reputable company but what happens if there is a defect in the hard chroming?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
theanswriz42 said:
Do slide refinishers offer a warranty on their work? I know trip is a very reputable company but what happens if there is a defect in the hard chroming?
Check their website or call. But I think you're covered, not to worry. Others I am sure will chime in.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Although Springfield warranty covers the finish on the XD, I have wondered if they honor the finish warranty on the HS2000. I use CLP on mine religously and it hasn't seemed to rust. However, several months ago, I had to replace a worn out extractor on my HS2000. Since I was able to do the replacement myself, I ordered it and paid for it and Springfield reimbursed me when I sent them the broken extractor pieces. When I had the extractor out, I noticed a rust deposit in the bottom of the extractor well. This is the one place that the CLP can't penetrate. I scrubbed the area out as a precaution, but I hardly think that the corrosion warranty would cover this. Most people wouldn't even notice rust in the extractor well because most people would probally have Springfield do the replacement.

My XD has a stainless finish. I have it polished to a near chrome shine with Mother's mag polish. I hope it never rusts.

·
Registered
298 Posts
my service rusted 4 days after i got it and that was after i used a silocone cloth on it, im just going to fix the weak like and get my slides refinished by someone reputable.

tripp or canyon creek if i send them in for a spiffy trigger job.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sorry to hear of your situation. The customer service is really out of character from the many other testimonies I've heard. I'd just keep going up the ladder until I talked to someone that would give me satisfaction. I think the finish issues are a small % of the enormous amount of XD's sold. However, no matter how many, the manufacturer should stand behind their product. On the other hand, there are some who would abuse SA and just try to get a free refinish job, when there is nothing wrong with their finish. This could be the reason they have to scrutinize when they refinish and when they do not. :roll: I've had my Tactical .40 over two years now. I've never seen a speck of rust anywhere on this pistol and we have some very humid summers here in the Cincinnati area. No special care. I just clean it after I use it and wipe it down with a very light coat of oil, like most people do. If I did have the problems you've had, I would be upset as well, but you know you can have problems with any pistol. Yes, even a Glock! I think SA will make it right, if you continue to have a problem with the finish. If you want a GLock, good luck with it. I can understand your frustration, but personally, I'd rather pay for my own refinish job and have an XD, than pay even more and have a Glock. Good luck to you in whatever you do. :wink:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Man, this makes me nervous! I'm packing my XD up to be shipped back to SA next week for the same rus..err reason.

They said they do offer re-finish (armor-kote) on defective finishes and gave me an RMA. I took that as standing behind their product.

IF they flub this, they've lost a major supporter of theirs.
Not only do I buy a fair amount, but I recommend them for lots of new shooters I bring into the "sport".

Let's put this in the simplest of terms.

A finish is to prevent rust. If it fails, it is defective.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And mine sits in a safe with all types of other pistols.
Yet this is the only one that has ever rusted and it happened
repeatedly.

·
Registered
157 Posts
mine was 6 months old when it started... i sent it in and got the armory kote in silver...i got it back in february...here it is in july...no rust but alot of the finish is worn off....so i wouldnt bother sending it back the armory kote isnt any better especially for wear....send it to someone else...spend the money....you will be better off....i dont know what it is but my sa 1911 has a better finish on it...how come they dont use that finish??? its just stupid!!!!

·
Registered
380 Posts
SA refinished my XD40...Slide only...but they refinished it...The only part I ever had rust issues at was in the dovetails of the slide...I was surprised they refinished it...but I sent it in due to some problems from a bent factory (exploding) guide rod.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have had my xd for maybe 4 weeks now. I'm paranoid about the rust already. I'm going to have it hard chromed by tripp here in the next week or two. I'm very happy with my xdsc bi-tone so far, but this kind or stuff is crap. I don't think I'll ever buy another xd until they get this fixed. Of course, if they do, they'll just jack up the price to cover it. At least you wouldn't have to send it back in to them again.

What pisses me off is that they know there is a big problem, and yet they do nothing to fix it. If that is how they feel, I will stick with glock!!

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
stepper said:
I have had my xd for maybe 4 weeks now. I'm paranoid about the rust already. I'm going to have it hard chromed by tripp here in the next week or two. I'm very happy with my xdsc bi-tone so far, but this kind or stuff is crap. I don't think I'll ever buy another xd until they get this fixed. Of course, if they do, they'll just jack up the price to cover it. At least you wouldn't have to send it back in to them again.

What pisses me off is that they know there is a big problem, and yet they do nothing to fix it. If that is how they feel, I will stick with glock!!
:roll:
KABOOM!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts