Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has probably been discussed to death on here. So just want to read stuff that has already gone through. Did not find on search.

9mm vs. 40 cal. for self defense

Knowing there are some one both sides.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
.45 is the best self defense round.

:)

In all seriousness though, the best round of SD is what works good in your gun, and what YOU shoot best.

No other things need to be considered. 9, 40 and 45 will have the same balistic results

(Flame suit engaged)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks xdmp22 you are always helping me.

Decided on the SC now looking at cal. Don't know if i what more rounds or heavier. Would have test my control on the .40 i'm sure it would be better with the 9mm.

Would still like to read more.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Your welcome. Glad to help.

I personally shoot 45 better than anything else.

I shoot 45 and 9mm better than .40.

I don't like the recoil of .40 but there is nothing actually wrong with the round.

2 well placed rounds is better than 10 bad placed rounds, so its all about what you can do with it.

Best thing you can do is find a range that rents both and try them both. Even if you spend 100 bucks on rental and ammo for test, its better than buying one and regretting it later.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
I vote for the 9mm..
Cheaper ammo, one more round in the mag, less recoil, etc.
But I've never cared for the 40cal in any handgun...YMMV
I like 45ACP as well, just can't afford to keep it around..

Really liked my XD9sc, had it hard chromed, but still ended up selling it.

The 9mm Sig P239 won on the carry pistol.
Two years later my 3 inch 9mm 1911 is now the choice of carry gun.
Yep, I'm pretty big on 9mms..;)
You find a lot of info stating modern day 9mm rounds are quite effective.
But shot placement in any caliber is the most important thing.
Good luck..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do plan to rent and fire. Its the only way too know. Only know of one place to do so, and it is about 75mi. away. But still worth the time. I need to call
and see what they have available.
Thanks

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
SD/HD is like hunting dangerous game, the same rules apply. Shoot the biggest caliber you can effectively hit with. Only hits count & good hits count more than poor hits. Current JHP bullet technology has given the 9mm a place as a serious defensive round. So it really comes down to platform for me. Especially in 10rd max states, the greatest attribute of high mag cap in the 9mm is negated. So if I am carrying a full size gun, I want bigger bullet for bigger holes, as long as you can deliver the bullets where they need to go.
I find a 40 pretty snappy in a smaller/lighter gun, so a 9mm or 357sig would be better for me in a XD subcompact. In a full size gun, I prefer a 40 or 45acp. The add'l size & wt helps me deliver the same level of speed/accuracy I can get using a 9mm in a smaller gun.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I prefer the .45. With that said I actually carry a 9mm. Why? Because I can group my 9's much tighter and faster than anything else. I figure 4-6 9's are better than 3-4 40's. <---Not based on facts, just my opinion.

Why do I like the .45? How could you not. The recoil is smooth, and it makes BIG holes. 230 grain hollowpoints are just awesome.

·
Registered
786 Posts
.Dead is dead The 45acp was designed to kill horses the 9mm to wound people in war each wound is better then KIA as it takes more people to deal with wounded the 40 S&W (Short & Wimpie) came about because the FBI agents could not handle 10mm. so the best is the one you will carry everyday and shoot the best.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts