Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm in the process of buying another handgun, this one will be for concealed carry. And I've narrowed it down to these two.

Kimber Tactical Ultra II - http://www.kimberamerica.com/images/pistols/large_ultra2jpg.jpg

or

Springfield Armory EMP - http://sgcusa.com/images/large/SA_1911_EMP_40Cal_PI9240LP_A.jpg

I've shot both, and they both felt really good to handle. Recoil was relatively easy to handle and I'm not too worried about the weight difference in both, it's only 2 ounces without a full magazine. It basically comes down to looks. Kind of ironic since it's going to be "concealed" most of the times. But I do like pretty looking firearms! Any opinions out there that could sway me to go with one or the other?

·
Registered
337 Posts
solution,
buy both, try them out, give whichever one you don't like to me!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
It really somes down to whether you want a .45acp or a 9mm (or a .40 since the EMP now comes in .40) since there is so little difference in terms of the two pistols otherwise. The Kimber is just a little longer (maybe a 1/4" or so). Also, the Kimber has a CM steel instead of a Stainless slide. Other than those difference...not much else to say besides the caliber.

Having shot both of those pistols (.45 and 9mm), they are both excellent in terms of fit, finish, function and reliability. I love the EMP, but I am a .45 guy, so between the two...I'd go for the Kimber Ultra II Tactical model. Personally, if it were me, I'd go with the SA Loaded Micro Compact (PX9801LP). Less $$ than the Kimber, arguably better made (no flame intended, guys), and put the $$ you save into ammo, holster, accessories, etc. :)

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
If the Ultra II shoots half as good as the Pro Carry II..I'd say Kimber might be the way to go.

I swear, every Kimber I have borrowed and shot was damned near perfect. To this day....I don't know why I don't own a Kimber. Custon II, TLE, Pro Carry...all I have shot were 100% reliable and deadly accurate. A joy to shoot.

I really liked the Pro Carry II and might end up with one at some time. It would have made a great carry gun...its fairly light.

For some reason, I think Kimber figured out the "4 inch and smaller 1911 market" and is putting out a very nice compact. I know a few people that have them and have no complaints.

- Brickboy240

1 - 5 of 5 Posts