Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard so much rust talk that I'm afraid my new toy is going to rust away right in front of my eyes. Not really. I carry my xd-40 SC daily and it rides right aginst my hip at about 4:30. I work outdoors, in the Marina business and I sweat a LOT. I do have a product that I want to share with you all. I have been using it for a couple of months on all of my guns and I haven't spotted even the firts speck of rust since I started using it. It's called STRIKE HOLD. It is an aerosol spray and a little goes a long way. What I find funny about the stuff it that it actually changes the appearance of the metal slightly. You can dip a slide under water after treatment and all of the water rolls off. The active ingredient appears to be tetrachloroethylene. It also leaves a dry lubricant behind. You have to check out their website at www.strikeholdsales.com. I watched a live demonstration where the hawker for the product actually dipped his hands in a large bowl of water with a lightbulb screwed into a socket that was plugged into an extention cord. Kinda scarry, but he states that all of the water is displaced from all of the metal surfaces after the product is applied so current cannot jump to the water. HE ALSO SUBMERSED AND OPERATED A BLACK AND DECKER DRILL IN THE SAME BOWL WHILE HIS HAND WAS COMPLETELY UNDER THE WATER!!!. HE IS EITHER NUTS OR HE REALLY BELIEVES IN THE PRODUCT. All I can say is that it does stop rust in it's tracks, and I have restored a couple of rust knives with the stuff that I had written off. Give it a look.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have cleaned 6 guns a couple of times over the past two months and my XD-40 at least ten times, after range visits and I'm guessing I may have used a fifth of the first can. (I got 2 for $20). It just takes a spritz and I wipe it over the surface liberally to clean and then very lightly for the finish. The can has a lillte hose with it like WD40 and it makes it nice for blasting crud out of the action. I learned about the stuff in relation to the Marina business. (The second can lives in my shop). I use it on all kind of electronic contacts that are exposed to weather and I see NO corrosion on the contacts where I have used it. I then noticed that the literature that came with it referenced firearms. If I can be of more help yell. I don't work for the company, I just have a find I think I need to share.

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
tetrachloraethylene? isn't that the stuff that supposedly caused all those birth defects and cancer and stuff in the movie Erin Brockovich. I'm pretty sure the movie was based on a true story, but I'm unsure if tetrachloraethylene was just some chemical compound they used cause it sounds scary or if that was what they actually found to cause some of this stuff.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Tetrachlorethylene is also known as perchlorethylene...it's the most commonly used dry cleaning solvent used today. It's a degreaser...the best.

As far as perc having having lubricating properties, there must be other ingredients used for that.

Perc was a suspected carcinogen but never proven conclusively by EPA, etc.

I sell chems to the dry cleaning industry...this question was right down my alley!

Lex

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's the first real information I've been able to gather on the stuff other than their ads. (Really didn't look too hard.) I know it works. I haven't touched the gun since I applied it and I sweat on it every day. No sign of rust. Cheap enough protection for my investment. Again, thanks...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts