Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After several weeks of researching, shooting a friends XDs 45 and looking for the new XDs 45 Essentials Package, the LGS got one in for me to check out.

I had been out on a service call this afternoon and finished up early so I decided to give the GS a call and see if he got one in. Sure enough he got in a black 45 acp , 3.3 this past Tuesday so I rode up there to look at it. I had made up my mind that I didn't need another CCW gun this size but after seeing and handling it, that was all it took for me to make up my mind so I bought it.

After getting home I disassembled it, wiped it down, checked everything closely and put a light coat of FP-10 on various parts. I had a chance to fire 35 rounds of 230gr. FMJ reloads through it and it functioned fine except for not locking the slide back on the last round one time but that was my fault. Accuracy was very good shooting 10" steel plates at 15 yards both slow and fast. The trigger is a lot heavier than I'm used to at 7.5 pounds but I'm going to shoot it a few hundred times to see if the trigger lightens up any.

Now it's time to order a holster for it and load up some ammo.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I handled a Gen 4 Glock 26, a Gen 3 Glock 26 and a XDs in .45 ACP last night.

One thing both my buddy and I noticed, was that the Gen 4 Glock 26's grip
seemed to be shorter than the one on the Gen 3 G26.

Out of all 3 of them, the XDs fit my hands better.

As I've had a LC9 and a Shield, I don't like single stack 9mm recoil
(or .38 Super recoil) as its too snappy and harsh on my hands, so
the XDs in 9mm is off the list.

.45 ACP out of a Glock 30 is OK, but not a Government model.

I'm talking 230 grain practice loads and even hotter defensive loads
like Double Tap.

I don't like Glock or other .40 Cal recoil, or finger buzz from a
polymer trigger, but my Glocks in .357 shot fine.

The XDs 45 is light and points well with rave reviews.

Every video I can find of one shows it to have low or light recoil.

However, as a past owner of LCRs in 38+P and .357.

I know how they recoil and conceal.

One would be a bit lighter with 110-125 gr. JHP

or this in 38+P:

than a loaded XDs with this:

But that Hogue grip that cuts down recoil
is a bit hard to carry and draw from in a pocket/pocket
holster.

People seem to conceal XDs models in .45 and 9mm in both
pocket and ankle holsters.

I've never been a fan of the Springers, until handling one a
couple weeks ago, and I might rent one to see how they
handle recoil with my aging hands.

It would be as a backup for my forthcoming RAMI BD,
and I'd only want the Black 3.3. in .45 ACP.

Firearm Gun Trigger Ranged weapon Gun barrel

I welcome your comments on how yours recoils and conceals.

·
Registered
265 Posts
...I had made up my mind that I didn't need another CCW gun this size but after seeing and handling it, that was all it took for me to make up my mind so I bought it....
I can relate. The very first time I handled and XDS right after they came out, I knew I would eventually buy one. But I had my EDC XD sub 40 and I told myself I wasn't going to get another carry gun. I eventually broke down and bought one. I love my XDS so much that I retired my XD sub 40 and finally sold it for an XDM 4.5 40.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Congratulations! I hope you like yours as much as I like mine.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.
I'd got used to carrying my 9mm Shield and really like it's size. I never feel like I'm under gunned but a similar size gun in a 45 seemed like the logical step up.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
I own 2 45 bi tones and couldn't be happier. I installed prp spring &sear kit, bringing the trigger pull down from 7.1 to 5lbs. ENJOY yours

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now that I have the XDs 45 I'm going to be loading some for it.

I already have some 225 grain lead flat nose and just a few 230 grain jacketed round nose. I also have some 200gr RN and 230gr RN Bayou coated lead bullets on the way to try.

Which bullet weight and bullet profile does it seem to like best? Thanks

·
Registered
265 Posts

I already have some 225 grain lead flat nose and just a few 230 grain jacketed round nose. I also have some 200gr RN and 230gr RN Bayou coated lead bullets on the way to try.

No issues with the 230 FMJ (7.0 gn IMR-4756) which is the majority of my 45 loads. Going to be trying some 185 XTPs soon. Also will be switching to CFE Pistol and Bullseye for my 45 loads now that I'm almost out of IMR-4756.

·
Registered
350 Posts

I shoot 200gr lead flat nose out of mine. Using autocomp - very nice burning/measuring powder and it runs well in my XDs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I traded my Shield as soon as i bought my XDS .45. Took it to the range yesterday and three things happened, it showed what a awesome handgun it is, it was flawless, and it became my CCW. IMHO they are great,

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I messed around with it a little more today after finding some Speer 200 gr HP bullets that I didn't know I had. I only loaded and shot 10 of them but they fed and cycled fine. I'll be saving those to load after a break in period.

After scrounging around my building I found a bunch of empty brass that I had stashed but forgot about. I ran one batch through the tumbler earlier today and another one is tumbling now. I've already sized and decapped a couple hundred and will get them primed tonight.

My Bayou coated bullets would have been here tomorrow but the PO is closed. Oh well, at least I'll be ready for them on Tuesday and the weather is going to be nice too. Maybe I'll have time to test a few after work before it gets dark.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts