Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a walther p99 in .40 S&W right now. Im looking to get rid of it because it gives me blisters. I dont have that much money right now, $100 only, and Im really interested in the XD9. I bought the walther for $515 and they are only offering me $350. Can i just have some input or suggestions and tell me how you like your XD. Im really thnking it will be what ill get when i trade in or sell my P99. Also, should i get the 357 sig or .40 and then get a 9mm barrel? Is that possible? If so which caliber should i start out with. Id like to try the 357 sig. thanks.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
This is an XD board. All of us love our XDs. :)

.357sig is ok to start in, but I would say start in the .40s&w, given your limited funds. Cheaper to shoot, and when you have more money, you can switch over to the .357sig (or 9mm) with a drop in barrel. Though you could do the same with the .357sig, the .40sw is going to be easier to find and cheaper to shoot.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Howdy and welcome--you've come to the right place. You will find that most here love their XD's, and for good reason. The only "black eye" on them is a sub-par finish, but that's easily remedied by any number of outfits that are famous in these parts (Canyon Creek, Tripp Research, even one of our own, Ajamesp51, will hook you up). Aside from that, you won't find a better shooting, more reliable pistol.

Now then, you can get the XD40 and drop a 357sig barrel right in. 9mm conversion barrels are also available. If you get the XD9, no conversions are available...so if you're looking for caliber flexibility, the XD40 is the way to go. XD45's (45 GAP) are just now available, and we anticipate conversion barrels will be available at some point, but none yet that I'm aware of. Of course, others here will know better than me.

On a side note, I have a 9mm conversion barrel from EFK that I use in my XD40 service model. It's a well made barrel, but I have had some extraction issues with it. Not all have the same problem, and I may be using a spring that's too heavy.

So welcome, and good luck making your new purchase. You've settled on a great pistol.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I have decided that Im going to get the 9mm because i will only be using it as a range gun. Ive decided on the XD9, 4" ported barrel, blued slide after i get rid of the P99. If anyone has a ported barrel on here could you tell me how you like it and if you recommend a ported barrel?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Ported? Don't shoot it in the dark! 8)

Range gun only? I'd say go for the tactical--more accurate. But hey--a good choice nonetheless. Good luck!

·
Registered
359 Posts
How does it give you blisters? Just curious. I have a P99, it is my favorite gun. I'm more accurate with it than any handgun I've ever shot. I also have the .40, and don't have a problem with blisters. So, just wondering.

-stunks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I get blisters from the bottom of the trigger guard where that bump is on the bottom of my trigger finger.

and nickc50310 im not sure how to sell guns on the internet and how to ship and stuff like that... so i will probaly sell it locally.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I've heard that on the WaltherForum, actually. You can maybe trade it in for a 2004 version where they've gotten rid of the hump in the trigger guard.

For whatever reason, the hump has never bothered me, nor do I catch my fingers on it when firing. I guess my fingers aren't fat enough to rub on it!

You should consider keeping SOME kind of P99, it's a great gun. XDs are great too, my wife's is climbing the ladder of favorite handguns. The more we shoot, the more I like it! Either P99 or XD will suit you.

-stunks

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
I have the XD V10 9mm. It is a range gun for me. I love it. Every one who has shot it loves it

I do not have any problem with the flash from the ports. I don't even see it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
.357 sig is the way to go, but I am biased, it is the only round I really care to shoot, Springfield has built an excellent gun around this round, but any XD is a good buy.

Good luck, and be safe ... Big Jake

·
Registered
22 Posts
i love my XD9 sub, but i'd take a P99 over an XD any day of the week. i've owned a .40 P99 and have a 9mm P99 now (long-term loaner :D ), both DA/SA (or AS in walther terminology).

you do pay a premium for the walthers though.

if only walther would ever adopt the XD-style trigger/safety system . . . . :D

frye

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
why would you take a P99 over an XD? Anyways, i want a gun that is comfortable for me to shoot, and the P99 is not comfortable for me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I like guns said:
why would you take a P99 over an XD? Anyways, i want a gun that is comfortable for me to shoot, and the P99 is not comfortable for me.
i would take a P99 for exactly the same reason you would take an XD. the P99 feels like part of my hands and hits where i want it to and goes bang accurately everytime i pull the trigger :D .

not that my XD is inaccurate or unreliable (quite the oppostite), it just doesn't 'feel' as good as the P99 to me. i love, trust and CCW my XD9sub, but the P99 'feels' better and i shoot better with it.

it's a matter of personal preference really.

frye

·
Registered
235 Posts
Blisters on your fingers.....40 cal......? Try some Vagisil.It's the same thing I recommend to those who cry on about how the 10mm is too much. :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
masterofg3 said:
Blisters on your fingers.....40 cal......? Try some Vagisil.It's the same thing I recommend to those who cry on about how the 10mm is too much. :(
you have obviously never shot a P99 (and have a bad attitude :D ). on the older frames, there is a pronounced hump under the trigger in the trigger guard. it doesn't bother me at all, but some may rub against it when pulling the trigger.

frye

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went looking at guns today. I have a few guns that im interested in. Im leaning towards both the XD and the beretta.

heres the link:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=151068

When i held the XD it was really nice. The only complaint I had was that it didnt have a decocker. That really doesnt matter that much to me though. Also, I picked up a beretta and it was really comfortable. It was a 92 subcompact that is a discontinued model and it used. The competition is between that and the XD.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Well........in your initial post you stated"I am looking to get rid of it, its giving me blisters". This is then followed by"it really doesnt bother me at all". You sound as confused as a woman. I repeat myself.....VAGISIL :wink:

·
Registered
22 Posts
masterofg3 said:
Well........in your initial post you stated"I am looking to get rid of it, its giving me blisters". This is then followed by"it really doesnt bother me at all". You sound as confused as a woman. I repeat myself.....VAGISIL :wink:
vagisil cures/prevents blisters?

it truly is a miracle of modern science :D .

frye

1 - 20 of 20 Posts