Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...No really.

My pastor asked me this evening, if I'd like to be a part of the Royal Rangers chapter he is opening at our church. Not as a student, but as a teacher. I'm a vet of OEF 2009-2010. And I'm working for the Sheriff's dept. in the county I currently live in. I'm not a noob...not in my mind at least. Lol.

He's asking me to do some firearms instructions...and I'm pretty comfortable there.

But he asked me to instruct in the construction of a fire. Here is where I'm curious. I can start a fire with a lighter...or matches...no biggy. And I'm comfortable starting a fire with flint and a knife...but hes asking me about doing it just sticks...and my first thought was to watch 'Castaway'. I understand how he did it. And I'll try this method. Hopefully it'll work, but I haven't given it a shot yet. I've also seen the drill method with the string on a stick (A), and another stick (B) in a loop in the string...you work the stick (A) back and forth to spin stick (B) in circles. it drills and creates friction.

So...my question is, what the heck did I get myself into?
:shock:

·
Registered
786 Posts
I worry about any church group that wants to have a para military arm. Please be sure of what your getting into

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm pretty sure he doesn't have any bad intent. Just teaching young boys firearms safety...similar to the boy scouts. Not like....teaching kids to storm a town or anything. Just handling/shooting skills.

And he asked about stuff like...help with putting up a tent. Teaching kids how to select a camp sight. Teaching kids sruvival skills...ya know? These are basically kids who are looking for the guidance that busy/non existant fathers can't provide. It isn't anything like a cult. Lol. They're just wanting the kids to be ab;e to function in the woods/other survival situations outdoors. I have no problems in guiding a child how to survive, and thrive in the wild.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Royal Rangers is not a Para Military arm. IT IS THE BOY SCOUTS for the AG type churches so relax a little there chief. Go to the RR website and all the info you need is there. I teach RR and can help you out a bit if you PM me

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
I'm pretty sure he doesn't have any bad intent. Just teaching young boys firearms safety...similar to the boy scouts. Not like....teaching kids to storm a town or anything. Just handling/shooting skills.

And he asked about stuff like...help with putting up a tent. Teaching kids how to select a camp sight. Teaching kids sruvival skills...ya know? These are basically kids who are looking for the guidance that busy/non existant fathers can't provide. It isn't anything like a cult. Lol. They're just wanting the kids to be ab;e to function in the woods/other survival situations outdoors. I have no problems in guiding a child how to survive, and thrive in the wild.
My nephews Church does such things and is active with the local scout troop ... That's probably what he's after, but I'd ask.

They even have a air-rifle shooting range set up for the community.

Perhaps you could just suggest that they get involved with the local scouts, and use that as a way to get greater support for the youth in the Church ... Just a thought.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was actually in the RR when I was a kid. But I wasn't there long, so I didn't have alot of first hand experience. I know it isn't a paramilitary group. And I'm flattered the my pastor asked me to participate. I know what they are and what they stand for, but that is the best description that I've heard..."Boy scouts, for Assembly of God type churches."

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I worry about any church group that wants to have a para military arm. Please be sure of what your getting into
Given the current socio-political environment, I'd worry more about one that doesn't.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys...you're missing the point. Lol.

The Royal Rangers is just a different form of the BSA or Big Brothers Big Sisters...It's a Christian based group to educate children in worldly skills in order to promote the ability of our species to survive in a world that is constantly being driven toward dependance upon technology, and less and less on one's own abilities to take care of oneself.

That being said...what's the best way you know to start a fire with no outside source of flame?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haha I literally just minimized this video on youtube to come and check the thread...I didn't even think to check youtube first.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I never was a member when I was actually old enough to do those things. But I do like the idea of being able to do those things for the kids. There is definately a need for it in Southwestern, Mo. As a scociety we're becoming entirely too dependant upon things like cell phones and heaters and fast food. I may just decide to go off the grid. Lol.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Watch your sweat. Nothing is worse that burning your arms out getting an ember just to have a drop of sweat fall right on it and snuff it out.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I'd go for the multiple source approach. First off, save drier lint. Stuff is dry and flammable -- makes great tinder. I collect it and in the winter melt wax and pour it over the lint in paper egg cartons. Embed strike anywhere matches in the lint and cover with wax. It makes a candle with all over wick that will start a fire nicely. The wax covered matches will be water resistant. The lint is a great tinder for magnesium shavings used with a flint & steel. Or just flint alone. Steel wool and a 9v battery will get the hot started and the lint will keep it going until you get more kindling to catch. Magnifying glass and the lint (or paper or cotton balls) will also get you a fire in the daylite. The lint is superior here because of the darker color absorbing more light.

The fire method I HATE is the twirling stick. You have to prep well to use it. The myth is that you can pick up any stick, give it a quick spin and flames shoot out -- Ha! Not likely. You need a fairly wide stick with a fairly flat nose trimmed and smoothed to about a 60 degree angle. Do that on both sides. The stick needs to be BONE DRY. If it's wet much at all, the friction will be used up making steam not fire. Then you need to get a bone dry block of HARD WOOD. Gouge out a pocket for the stick and cut a narrow trough into the pocket. Then you need to find / make a stone with a deep smooth pocket for the pivot side. The deeper the pockets the better as it will keep the stick from twirling out when you go crazy twirling. You feed the bone dry tinder into the narrow trough and after it has been smoking for a bit, gently blow on it while continuing the twirling. Pit falls are the stick to small, stick not BONE DRY, block not hard wood and not bone try and pocket not deep enough. The most common fail point when all the above is right is to blow too soon or too hard. You need to add O2, but blow too hard and you cool it off and stop the combustion!

The bow part needs to be green wood that is springy. Pretty good size and longer than you expect. You want to put a generous bow into it with a LOT of tension. Tension like it was a bow for shooting arrows. Tension is what will give the string grip to twirl the stick. Remember, you have to bear down on the stick with the stone to generate the friction.

All this stuff is easier to show than to write up (not that it is easy to do).

Good luck!

·
Registered
19,987 Posts
Here is what I'd do;
Show the basic concept of a fire bow......then put the spinning stick in a cordless drill so they can actually see it being successful :p

You might want to practice up a bit first. I bet it is not easy even with a power drill. If making fire was easy, they would have always walked around with tinder boxes back in the day.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Friction fires are tough and takes some practice. It also takes quite a bit of time to get a fire going till you get the hang of it.

As a scout, we started with the basics like getting the right tinder and stacking the fire correctly and catching a spark but still used other things, like a flint, match, battery/steel wool, magnifying glass. I didn't build a friction fire till I did my wilderness survival training.

If you're going to build a fire, have some marshmallow's or something fun to do with the fire once you've got it going.

But, if you absolutely have to do it with nothing but sticks, the bow drill is a whole lot easier than a hand drill or just rubbing sticks together. If you watch the video link above he's still using special sticks, tinder fungus, and flint flakes and it still takes him a little while and three attempts to get the fire going.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Ask the kids to bring their "ant burners" ... They already know how to make a fire, but probably don't realize it ;)

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
I'm a little fuzzy on what's in them now, but the Boy Scout Handbook and the Boy Scout Field Manual will likely have directions on how to do this.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts