Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should just do a search, but haven't ever seen this question in the AR section so Ill ask.

First time I shot my AR, I only put 175ish rounds through it so I just scrubbed the upper and boresnaked the barrel.

This weekend, I put close to 1000 rounds through it. So its a little dirty. ;)

I plan on taking the BCG down and using the ultrasonic cleaner.

For the barrel, I have my M-PRO kit, rods, patches, brishes, etc.

Here is the question....

Any reason not to use gun scrubber/brake cleaner spray in the upper reciever, gas tube and in the lower, especially the trigger group?

My AR has the adjustablr JP trigger with 2 set screws that are loctited in.

I plan on plastic wrapping my optic, and removing rubber grip from lower.

What say you AR masters?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I am not a master, no one is. You don't need to take the grip off. Just take the CLP or whatever you have and scrub it down with an AP brush, for the bolt if you have any caked on carbon use a bore brush or so to get it off. Also pipe cleaners will help on the Bolt carrier and i like to stick one in the gas tube(or a Q-tip). Your trigger group will be fine

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Be careful with what ultrasonic cleaner liquid you use. Not everything is good for anodized aluminum.

Matter of fact, I've heard numerous people say that anything ultrasonic is bad for aluminum. If you do a google search for warnings about using ultrasonic cleaners with aluminum silencer components, you'll probably find several references to that.

And be especially wary if you have an rubber extractor insert in your bolt.

I know it may take a few minutes, but sometimes doing things the old fashioned way is better. That way you can inspect for unusual wear or anything while you're in there.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have always used NON CLORINATED brake cleaner on my pistols with no ill effect, even on the polymer. I have continued using it on my AR and the the receiver finish hasn't suffered although I don't do anything but flush out the trigger housing with it and wipe it off pretty quickly.

Be sure to relube the trigger and grease it where it needs it, especially a good aftermarket trigger.

I was kind of surprised at how many people just let the trigger go and get filthy without flushing it and re lubing. ANY trigger benefits from maintenance, IMO.

I have started using Frog Lube on my AR and it really makes cleaning it easier and lots more pleasant on the respiratory system. Worth the , admittedly, high cost IMHO. Carbon and crap just seems to wipe off, even after hundreds of rounds. Only drawback, everybody wants to know why I'm sniffing my rifle!;)

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have always used NON CLORINATED brake cleaner on my pistols with no ill effect, even on the polymer. I have continued using it on my AR and the the receiver finish hasn't suffered although I don't do anything but flush out the trigger housing with it and wipe it off pretty quickly.

Be sure to relube the trigger and grease it where it needs it, especially a good aftermarket trigger.

I was kind of surprised at how many people just let the trigger go and get filthy without flushing it and re lubing. ANY trigger benefits from maintenance, IMO.

I have started using Frog Lube on my AR and it really makes cleaning it easier and lots more pleasant on the respiratory system. Worth the , admittedly, high cost IMHO. Carbon and crap just seems to wipe off, even after hundreds of rounds. Only drawback, everybody wants to know why I'm sniffing my rifle!;)
+1 to this, brake clean the lower and air compress it out dry, clp all springs and good to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts