Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure the point of this section, but I'll start with this.

Retired AF. Not much firearm experience in active duty, just the M-16 qual at basic and once before an assignment to Germany. Qual'ed on the .38 revolver a couple times and the M9 a couple times for aircrew duty.

Wasn't till about 13 years after retirement I got the gun bug, first one handgun, then an AR, and then a few more. Hardly an arsenal (unless the MSM is reporting.)

·
Registered
12,137 Posts
Thank you, for your service to our great country.

Never served. However, I grew up shooting an old S&W 10. Of all of my guns, I inherited some and have purchased the rest over the last 35+ years. My mom retired from Beretta, so I was able to get my first Beretta M9/92 in late 85 or early 86. Both have been and continue to be great guns .

It does not matter if you have 1 or 100 guns. The main thing is you are exercising your 2nd amendment rights.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
I had 2 22 handguns (Inherited) a 22 rifle, 30-30- rifle and 357 Blackhawk on my own till 1988 then a couple of 380's were added and a couple more hand guns till about 2010, then AR's and others till I had a arsenal.\

I was in the Army. Medic with the Infantry in 65 and again in 66-67 in RVN, then Fight School and flew slicks in Vietnam a couple more tours. Retired in 91.

·
Registered
8,208 Posts
Thanks to all you vets.
It is unfortunate that the current atmosphere disrespect all who have served this nation.

That said I did not join I did consider it then graduated and landed a job that turned into a career.

I have always been around guns Dad had them when I was young we did some shooting and hunting.

I currently posses 3 shotties 2 12ga and a 20.
8 long guns from .22 single shot to 30-06 and a couple pcc one 40sw one 357mag an AR in 762x39 as well as an AK and SKS.
9 side arms in various calibers also from .22 to .45 (no 9mm) but a couple 40sw’s.

Dad was Navy man.
BIL retired Austin PD Narcotics.
Nephew Austin Fire Dept currently an LT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
I served with 820th red horse combat engineering squadron. I did train with weapons. But training is different than it used to be. I’ve definitely learnded more since I’ve been out. ive always owned one model of HK pistol or another since I got out. But the gun bug bit me again when my wife’s boss gifted me an airweight S&W and an XD service pistol.

only have 4 guns
MCX
APC
VP9

·
Premium Member
128,156 Posts
I have been shooting competitively since I was twelve, former Army officer, two combat tours, NRA pistol and rifle instructor, FFL dealer, concealed carry instructor.

·
Registered
288 Posts

Retired AF. Not much firearm experience in active duty, just the M-16 qual at basic and once before an assignment to Germany. Qual'ed on the .38 revolver a couple times and the M9 a couple times for aircrew duty.

Wasn't till about 13 years after retirement I got the gun bug, first one handgun, then an AR, and then a few more. Hardly an arsenal (unless the MSM is reporting.)
Most Combat Veterans are hardly ever unarmed whats the point ?

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
US Navy Submarine Service veteran, spent most of ten years hiding under the arctic circle in a boomer (missile sub). If I ever saw a firearm on active duty, it was on a Marine guarding us at a base somewhere. God Bless those Marines.
Attended a high school military academy that had a very active ROTC program, and my roommate was the cadet armorer. For about 200 students, we had 100 M-1 rifles, some 1903's, some competition .22 LRs, and maybe 50 1911's. Most likely all of them came from the CMP program, and we spent most of the first year cleaning and inspecting all the firearms along with a retired Army guy. The Army guy was a hoot - taught us a lot about firearms and their care. One thing he taught us at mandatory federal inspection time was to give the armory floor a fresh coat of paint. When the inspectors arrived, they could not walk to the back of the armory to inspect what we had not cleaned yet, but could reach the first rack of weapons, which we always kept pristine.
I always thought it was a valuable life lesson that in high school age I was exposed to weapons, taught their function, use, safety, history, and their value in a free country. It served me well throughout my life.
I've since owned a bunch of firearms of all types, now just a Benelli shotgun and two 1911's.

·
Registered
288 Posts
US Navy Submarine Service veteran, spent most of ten years hiding under the arctic circle in a boomer (missile sub). If I ever saw a firearm on active duty, it was on a Marine guarding us at a base somewhere. God Bless those Marines.
Attended a high school military academy that had a very active ROTC program, and my roommate was the cadet armorer. For about 200 students, we had 100 M-1 rifles, some 1903's, some competition .22 LRs, and maybe 50 1911's. Most likely all of them came from the CMP program, and we spent most of the first year cleaning and inspecting all the firearms along with a retired Army guy. The Army guy was a hoot - taught us a lot about firearms and their care. One thing he taught us at mandatory federal inspection time was to give the armory floor a fresh coat of paint. When the inspectors arrived, they could not walk to the back of the armory to inspect what we had not cleaned yet, but could reach the first rack of weapons, which we always kept pristine.
I always thought it was a valuable life lesson that in high school age I was exposed to weapons, taught their function, use, safety, history, and their value in a free country. It served me well throughout my life.
I've since owned a bunch of firearms of all types, now just a Benelli shotgun and two 1911's.
Didn't the Chief of the Boat & the Weapons Officer wear a side arm what about topside watch in port security watch ?

·
Administrator
22,442 Posts
I check that box.

·
Registered
274 Posts

Retired AF. Not much firearm experience in active duty...
One of my kids is an AF major. I took her shooting with a new to her Walther PPK. While explaining the manual of arms I said the thumb safety moves in the same direction as her M9. She looked at me, laughed and said "You must have thought I was in the military."

·
Registered
274 Posts
BTW, my all time favorite military joke is about the AF.

Reactions: MisterCrabby

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One of my kids is an AF major. I took her shooting with a new to her Walther PPK. While explaining the manual of arms I said the thumb safety moves in the same direction as her M9. She looked at me, laughed and said "You must have thought I was in the military."
As I noted above, AF folk don't all get much, if any firearms experience. Unless you're a cop, specops, or headed to the sandbox. I'm sure it's more today than back in my Cold War experience.

You got AF jokes? I got Army, Navy and Marine jokes, and even one of the Coasties.

·
Registered
274 Posts
A young journalist wanted to interview some military personnel to get a feel for our armed forces branches.
He asked an Army soldier what he would do if he found a scorpion in his tent. The soldier replied "I'd stomp on the SOB!"
He asked a Marine what he would do if he found a scorpion in his tent. The Marine replied "I'd eat it!"
He asked an airman what he would do if he found a scorpion in his tent. The Airman replied "I'd call room service and ask what a tent was doing in my room."

·
Administrator
22,442 Posts
BTW, my all time favorite military joke is about the AF.
Being on the other side, the grass is greener, but only because it’s fake!

Reactions: Autonomous

·
Registered
141 Posts
USN Ret AME1(AW) 1968-1988
Last duty station..VA-52 NAS Whidbey Island, Wa
Boeing QA after navy

1 - 20 of 23 Posts