Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious as to what I can get away with. Here is some literature I found on the internet. Not sure how accurate it is.

It is unlawful to carry or possess any firearm in any vehicle or concealed on or about the person, except on one`s land or in one`s abode or fixed place of business. It is unlawful to carry or possess any firearm on or about one`s person upon any public street, alley, or other public lands within the corporate limits of a city, village, or incorporated town, except when: 1) an invitee thereon or therein; 2)for the purpose of the display of firearms or the lawful commerce in firearms; or 3)when on one`s land or in one`s abode or fixed place of business.

Exceptions are persons using their firearms on established target ranges; licensed hunters, trappers, or fishermen while engaged in their licensed activity; transportation of firearms that are broken down in a non-functioning state or are not immediately accessible (e.g., in the trunk of a car); and transportation, carrying, or possession of a firearm which is unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container, by the possessor of a valid FOID. Under the Wildlife Code, it is unlawful to have or carry any firearm in or on any vehicle or conveyance unless unloaded and enclosed in a case.

Q. What exactly can a person get away with. I have a female friend who has had some suspicious characters soliciting her at odd times during the day. As a precaution she would like to carry her glock-17 with her from her car to her front door (when she gets home late) in case there is someone lying in wait for her while she walks from her garage to her front door. She wants to carry the gun in her car but is not sure how she should go about doing so (within the law). It sounds like carrying the gun unloaded in her gun case meets the exception requirements mentioned above. Does this mean she can have a loaded clip in the same box (loaded clip not in the gun)? Any suggestions? Again, I'm looking for a solution without breaking the law.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I am a LEO in Illinois, as long as she is on her property, she should be okay....Question though, is this in Cook County? or in Chicago....Chicago it is Illegal to posess a handgun.

I would be careful, as there are officers/detectives that may try to make a case out of this, meaning charge her and send her to the States Attorneys office for prosecution...

I have the same 2005 criminal law book as everyone else in Illinois, and I read it the same...as long as she is on her property, she is fine....I will say that she would have to check with the local police, as they may have city ordinances on firearms, over and above what the state has....

You have to hate Illinois, I don't like the guns laws either...

In reference to carrying in the vehicle, I would carry the weapon in a case, unloaded. Then take the magazine and place it in a place shere she could accsess it. That is LEAGAL! The weapon must be cased. If there is a magazine, just leave it out of the gun.

Tom :wink:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So can you carry the unloaded weapon and the loaded magazine in the same case? Do they have to be in separate areas? If it helps, this is Peoria county.

Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Hey Peoria, My Sister is a Police Officer for the city of Peoria....and yes, you may carry the magazine with the weapon...NOT in the weapon......

I caution you though, as I said before, there are cops/dectective/states attorneys that are very anti-gun, just give them a reason...and since Illinois law SUCKS, I would recomend that you carry the magazine in the center counsole, or in her purse!...Once she is in her home she may load it...

I hope we are talking about a home, not a apartment complex, those are considered a "commons area" and could be judged as not your "abode" or home....

I can say this the majority of the cops I know in my county would not do anything to you as long as you are using common sense or protecting yourself from great bodily harm.

Tom :wink:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again. Really do appreciate your help. While I was waiting for your reply, I took the liberty to do some more diggin on the i-net. Found this site to be quite helpful.

www.concealcarry.org

Thank you

·
Registered
823 Posts
There is a case, I don't know if it has been resolved, of a person using the bike trail near Wheaton IL who had a pistol and magazine separately in his fanny pack. He was charged with a variety of violations, but seems to have been within the letter of the law in IL.

The thing to do is face that IL is a repressive state that is run by the Daley machine, and move to TX, AK, or VT or some other gun friendly state. That's what I did.

·
Registered
443 Posts
yes, that is true Jim, once again...I try to stay away from the Will and Cook county areas...If it was not for them we would have been a red state!

Tom :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts