Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I recently was gifted a Springfield XD .45 ACP Tactical 5" by my father-in-law do to some hooligan trying to jump in my car window a few days back with my good friends 3yr old in the back. I have shot a lot of 3-Gun competition with my father in law while normally using a Kimber .45. I have a Really retarted ammo question. Can I burn just regular .45's thru it? Or does it have to be a specific ACP round? I realize that stands for Automatic Colt Pistol, and GAP for Glock Automatic Pistol, what does JHP stand for? He also tossed me a box of MagTech Golden Guardian and it say's their JHP? I have yet to shoot the gun which yes I think it's absolutely nuts to be protecting your life with a weapon you have never fired but I have not had the time. So my main question, what's the difference between An ACP round and a regular .45??
Thank you much, sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
936 Posts
JHP stands for Jacketed Hollow Point. They're meant to open up upon impact with the intention to increase permanent and temporary wound cavities.

I cant answer your question on the .45 ammo - dont own an xd chambered in 45.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
.45 acp is regular plain old .45

don't shoot the gap ammo.

JHP is jacketed hollow point.

As you know, you should get to the range as soon as you can. Run some cheap ammo through it to practice, then run your carry ammo through just to ensure proper functioning.

Welcome to XDtalk! I hope you never have to use that thing against a threat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My in law's have a farm with a field they use to practice long range at 800 yrds :) I'm planning on getting down their this weekend and burning some powder. Sorry for the not so intelligent questions but you never know till you ask I guess. And yes I hope I never have to use it for that reason either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And i actually have one more question that isn't related to ammo. whats the lever further down the barrel from the slide lock? if the slide is locked open you cen twist it up towards the barrel and release the slide.

·
Registered
532 Posts
That is the take down lever for the purpose of field stripping the pistol, i.e., taking the slide off for cleaning. You should go to Springfield Armory site and download a manual for this pistol.

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
.45 acp is regular plain old .45

don't shoot the gap ammo.

JHP is jacketed hollow point.

As you know, you should get to the range as soon as you can. Run some cheap ammo through it to practice, then run your carry ammo through just to ensure proper functioning.

Welcome to XDtalk! I hope you never have to use that thing against a threat.
What he said. The common .45 ammo is ACP. GAP is not so popular, but not compatible in your pistol.

It's possible to have .45 ACP JHP or .45 ACP FMJ or .45 ACP SWC (semi-wad cutter).

Then it's possible to have .45 GAP JHP or .45 GAP FMJ or .45 GAP SWC.

See the difference? One is the caliber (ACP or GAP) the other is the type of bullet (JHP, FMJ, SWC, etc...)

For target practice and familiarity with your weapon, it is much cheaper to go to WalMart and pickup a box of Blazer or Winchester White Box (WWB) FMJ. Shooting JHP all the time could get expensive. In light of that, you want to shoot some of the JHP you plan on using for self defense (SD) to make sure it will cycle in your weapon. Guns can have a "diet" and some prefer different manufactures over others, even with the same type of bullet.

As another said, download the manual. You might also see if there's a beginners firearms course around you. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask any more questions.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I have shot a lot of 3-Gun competition with my father in law while normally using a Kimber .45.
I am (honestly) surprised by your questions with the above comment/info. Before I bought my first pistol...I've read a lot about these already. I know the pistol was a "gift" but I would have researched the heck about it the minute I got it.

Maybe just me...but know your pistol well and be safe!

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
First thing you need to do is get some training and read the firearms manual.

Second JHP are meant to expand when hitting a target that is partially water (tissue). The expansion is to that they will create a larger PERMANENT CAVITY or CRUSH CAVITY, the bigger the hole they make the better. Temporary cavity is insignificant in pistol rounds. Expanding bullet will lessen penetration not increase it.
Ditch the Magtech and buy something from the list below. Buy a least a couple of boxes and put a couple of mags through the gun to make sure they function reliably before carrying them. The list is not in "best to worst" order so don't think that the first round listed it the best of the lot. Personally I would stick to 230gr.

Grain it the weight of the bullet, it's a unit of measuring weight. 7000 grains = 1 pound. The bullet is the lead/copper projectile at the tip of the case.

.45 ACP:
Barnes XPB 160 & 185 gr JHP (copper bullet)
Federal HST 230 gr JHP (P45HST2)
Federal HST 230 gr +P JHP (P45HST1)
Federal Tactical 230 gr JHP (LE45T1)
Speer Gold Dot 230 gr JHP
Speer Gold Dot 230 gr +P JHP
Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr JHP (RA45T)
Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr +P JHP (RA45TP)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's exactly what i'm doing right now, I try to not bother people with questions if when thats exactly what the search button is for I have spent the last day and a half searching this forumn and have found some great stuff. I have only had the gun since sunday evening. Me and my brother are trying to open a new business while my wife and I have a 5 month old child that was born 4 months premature and he's still in Neo-Natal Intensive Care in a hospital an hour away. Needless to say my life is quite hectic right now and I don't have as much time as I would like to research the gun. I apologize.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Don't sweat it. He was just surprised that you shoot a lot of 3gun matches and don't know these basics. Usually people who compete know this stuff inside and out so I'm going to assume your father-in-law supplies the guns and ammo for it? If so thats a unique situation as thats one hell of a way to get introduced to firearms!

Anyway, grats one the gun and welcome to the forum. Don't be afraid to ask questions around here as this place has a lot of very helpful and knowledgeable individuals.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
No need to apologize.

I firearm is a big responsibility and you need to MAKE time to research it's function and get proper training before you expose yourself and your family to it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know due to my questions a look a hundred times more Gun-Stupid than I am. I understand the whole idea behind a hollow point is to mushroom out upon impact creating a bigger cavity and thats why it's ideal to carry for self defense, and retarted/expensive to use as everyday target rounds. And yes that was alwayse the situation I was lucky to marry into the family I did, He takes his firearms very seriously and reloads everything he can. Thank you and I appreciate everyones input.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Wait, just had a weird thought.....

Does your father in law like you? Lots of Fathers don't ever want to let their little girls go and get married......

If he gave you a gun and box of bullets knowing there are things you need to learn, and didn't show and tell you with it.....

Maybe he secretly wants a AD/ND on you....

Not passing judgement and I am mostly razzin you, but the thought crossed my mind.......

·
Registered
616 Posts
That's exactly what i'm doing right now, I try to not bother people with questions if when thats exactly what the search button is for I have spent the last day and a half searching this forumn and have found some great stuff. I have only had the gun since sunday evening. Me and my brother are trying to open a new business while my wife and I have a 5 month old child that was born 4 months premature and he's still in Neo-Natal Intensive Care in a hospital an hour away. Needless to say my life is quite hectic right now and I don't have as much time as I would like to research the gun. I apologize.

As some others said, no need to apologize. I've been shooting guns since I was about 6 years old, and still have questions to this day. Anytime you feel the need to educate yourself, go ahead and do so regardless of what other people think.

Also, Congrats on the baby! I hope and pray that everything turns out ok for you and your family.

·
Registered
268 Posts
A lot of great guys here man, everyone is here for each other so ask your questions ;)

And for your viewing and educational pleasure

1 - 20 of 23 Posts