Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Use the Little Crow Gunworks World's Finest Trimmer. This thing is awesome!

It's been working well, but there's a few things to be aware of:

1. If you're prepping brass with mixed headstamps that have been fired out of a bunch of different rifles, don't expect your initial trims to be as consistent as this trimmer is capable of, since the trimmer "headspaces" off the shoulder of the brass. I'd say that of all the brass I picked up (a lot of around 500 cases with about 8 different headstamps and fired out of different rifles), 5% are being trimmed a bit short (about 2.5 thou), 80% are within 1-2 thousandths of my desired length, and the rest are a bit long (anything more than 2 thou longer than desired).

2. Be sure to clean out the brass shavings from the "chamber" so they don't interfere with your brass seating fully forward. If you don't, some cases will be trimmed longer than expected. Once you clean the WFT, they will trim as expected.

3. Hold on to those cases right, or wear gloves. I had one case bind in the trimmer, causing my thumb to roll with it and the spinning case rim summarily took a chunk out of my thumb. LOL, lesson learned! :D

4. Wear eye protection! No, seriously; don't be a hero.

I'm trimming a case every 5 seconds or so, but I'm being slow and methodical about it. They say you can trim a case to length in about 2-3 seconds, and I believe it. My trimming would take an eternity without this tool because I'm doing the initial trim for the RCBS X-Die, which requires the case to be trimmed down to 1.740".

I'm thinking the team of the WFT and the X-Die is going to save me a ton of time in the long run.

Anyone else have little tips to speed up reloading for ammo-hungry autoloaders?

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Since I also have to o primer pockets, I use the Hornady case prep center. It's not cheap, but I can do everything I need to do on a case in one place.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point, I had always meant to ask about those case prep centers and who made decent ones. Doesn't the Hornady prepper also trim cases? I wonder how accurate and repeatable it is?

·
Banned
0 Posts
you seem to harm your fingers often

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I could make a quip about my girly hands and perfectly manicured nails, but I wouldn't want to take the fun away from someone else. ;)

Besides, my hands are my current livelihood. It's tough as a male hand model.

·
Banned
0 Posts
I think you are more like this and you know I am zoolander because I am really really really ridiculously good looking and I am not an ambi turner.
Okay, I am done messing up your thread.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL, I don't have a problem with it. Turnabout's fair play, especially with the number of threads I've dragged off-topic. ;)

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Love the WFT as well. No specific pointers other than, yes, whatever hand you are holding the brass in wear a glove. Couldn't imagine trying to trim a few hundred cases without one. And also as you stated, make sure to not let the shavings accumulate in the chamber as they will interfere with the trimming. I always check each piece of brass with a case gauge and as I much as I try to keep the chamber clear I always seem to end up with a piece or two that is a little long. No problem though, just take a second crack at them and they're good to go. The WFT is truly a gem. Glad to hear you're loving yours.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But I have a range date with a coworker next weekend and my AR is the guest of honor.

OK, well in my mind it is. He wanted me to tag along to help him get his new hog hammer zeroed. :lol: I want to have enough ammo to keep me occupied in the lulls when he's not asking me for help. ;)

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Good point, I had always meant to ask about those case prep centers and who made decent ones. Doesn't the Hornady prepper also trim cases? I wonder how accurate and repeatable it is?
Correct, it trims, chamfers, ream the primer pocket, brush case necks. The stops on the trimmer are pretty precise & repeatable.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glad it's working for you. I tried it for a while but went back to the RCBS Trim Pro with a drill.
What made you go back? Was it preference or did you have some issue with the WFT?
Correct, it trims, chamfers, ream the primer pocket, brush case necks. The stops on the trimmer are pretty precise & repeatable.
I may have to pick one up and try it out. Are there any issues to be aware of with the Hornady case prep center, or is it flat-out good to go? Thanks for everyone's input. I'm trying to make my reloading more efficient so I can spend more time shooting, and less time reloading. This info helps me to achieve my goal.

Not that I mind reloading - I find it to be a relaxing hobby of its own. :)

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
What's your consistency like on that RCBS setup?

Very good. I trim .223, .308. and 7.62x39 and it's always consistent. The only odd thing I see is that the .223 carbide blades don't last as long as I believe they should. They seem to get a little dull every 3-4k rounds. Fortunately, RCBS just keeps sending replacements every time I call.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
What made you go back? Was it preference or did you have some issue with the WFT?

I may have to pick one up and try it out. Are there any issues to be aware of with the Hornady case prep center, or is it flat-out good to go? Thanks for everyone's input. I'm trying to make my reloading more efficient so I can spend more time shooting, and less time reloading. This info helps me to achieve my goal.

Not that I mind reloading - I find it to be a relaxing hobby of its own. :)
It's customizable by accepting diff tool bits, primer pocket uniformer, etc. I like mine, but that is me. I did get mine for wholesale, which made the cost issue less of a deal. If you have cabelas points or such, I would recommend one.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Since I also have to o primer pockets, I use the Hornady case prep center. It's not cheap, but I can do everything I need to do on a case in one place.
I'm completely processing my 5.56 military brass with one pass through my 650. Station 1 decaps; station 2 swages, using the excellent GS Custom swager; station 4 trims and sizes, using the excellent Dillon RT1200.

Works for me. I can do a case every three seconds.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I'm completely processing my 5.56 military brass with one pass through my 650. Station 1 decaps; station 2 swages, using the excellent GS Custom swager; station 4 trims and sizes, using the excellent Dillon RT1200.

Works for me. I can do a case every three seconds.
Also a good setup, but if I was going that far, buy a 1050, add the RT, call it good.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
The only issue i have with the WFT is that it does not chamfer. It always leaves a bit of a lip inside and out. I have to use a wilson chamfer tool on each one before i load otherwise i get some copper shaved off the bullet... and i don't like rough feeling brass.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts