Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dilema, and i'm not really sure what to do at this point so I'm looking for opinions. This is going to get pretty detailed so please bare with me...

The current company I work for has been doing layoffs for the past 3 years. My brother was laid off, and my dad was laid off twice (they called him back after the first time, offered him more money, then let him go 5 weeks after that because they didn't need him anymore). I've been secure in my position because I have a wide variety of skills. My positions currently are Service Coordinator/Administrative Assistant/Purchasing Manager/IT apprentice. And I started out in the field so I have experience in all aspects of my company. I feel my job is still pretty secure, but i'm not sure about the direction the company is heading. It could go under in the near future if things don't change. I haven't had a raise in over 3 years, and have lost 10% of my pay in the last 2. Yet they keep piling the work on me as they lay others off. It's getting to be a bit too much for any one guy to handle.

Now for the dilema... I have been applying for other jobs, and havn't had any luck over the past few weeks. I don't want to lose any pay, and I still need to be able to work full time. Today, I was offered a delivery job with a school district. With my current employer, I am making $11.44 per hour, and the school district offered me $11 an hour. So I would be losing pay, but it is a full time position. The problem is, they are year round schools... Which means I am off when the kids are off, so there would be a total of about 10 weeks out of the year where I won't be working or getting paid.

My question is, should I take the job with the school and stay there until someone else calls me with a better offer? Or should I stick with my current employer and keep looking until I can find something better? With my current job, I cannot get all of my work done in an 8 hour day. It's a constant game of catch up, and then getting yelled at by customers because I can't make my deadlines. The new job would be easier and a lot less stressful, but it's a loss in pay and I would be struggling with my bills for a little bit.

What would you guys do???

·
Registered
157 Posts
Take the job and keep looking.... or give ur current company an ultimatum first and see how much $ they offer you.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take the job and keep looking.... or give ur current company an ultimatum first and see how much $ they offer you.
I don't think an ultimatum would go in my favor at this point. They are being so shady here, they would probably tell me they will give me more money just so I don't take the other job, then after a week lay me off and dump all the work on my co workers (who already have enough work on their plates).

They really screwed my dad over that way. When he was laid off the first time, he found another job with a competing company. My company offered him more money to come back, pretty much an offer he couldn't refuse. Then they used him for 5 weeks and said they were done with him. He couldn't go back to the other company because they were pissed off he left to come back here.

·
Premium Member
8,922 Posts
That's a tough call. I'm not sure I would take the delivery job, but I would keep looking. It sounds like you have enough work to keep you busy where they're not going to let you go unless the company goes under completely.

Personally, I would find a way to deal with the stress so it doesn't interfere with your personal life. Go to the gym or something after work. I would stay with this company until your bills were caught up or you found something better though.

It sounds like if you go to the school district though you're just going to trade one type of stress for another. I would also ask the district how their pay works. I know some places hold a little money from each paycheck that is then given to you in a paycheck during the off season. If this is the case, your paychecks are going to be smaller than the .44 cent difference because they're going to "save" some for you later on.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
A smart employer will never accept an ultimatum about pay. They know that an employee who threatens to quit over money is on his way out, one way or another. They know that something else is making you unhappy and you will probably either leave at the first better offer and/or demand more later. They know that giving in to your ultimatum will not make you a better employee and is therefore a losing proposition for them. An ultimatum tips them off that you are dissatisfied and probably unproductive, and they will start looking toward replacing you sooner rather than later. And they know that giving in to your ultimatum will lead to many more from other employees.

Jobs are a precious commodity these days. Keep the one you have while you look for a better one.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a tough call. I'm not sure I would take the delivery job, but I would keep looking. It sounds like you have enough work to keep you busy where they're not going to let you go unless the company goes under completely.

Personally, I would find a way to deal with the stress so it doesn't interfere with your personal life. Go to the gym or something after work. I would stay with this company until your bills were caught up or you found something better though.

It sounds like if you go to the school district though you're just going to trade one type of stress for another. I would also ask the district how their pay works. I know some places hold a little money from each paycheck that is then given to you in a paycheck during the off season. If this is the case, your paychecks are going to be smaller than the .44 cent difference because they're going to "save" some for you later on.
That is a good point. Even the .44 cent difference would make things harder for me since i'm already living paycheck to paycheck. If it's going to be more than that, taking the delivery job wouldn't even be an option. And falling behind on my bills is not going to get rid of the stress i'm under, so i'm thinking staying where i'm at and looking elsewhere might be the smarter thing to do.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jobs are a precious commodity these days. Keep the one you have while you look for a better one.
That they are!!! seems like things arn't easy for anyone these days. I'm thankful I have a job, but dread going in to work everday because of my work load, and always worrying that I will show up and the doors will be closed.

·
Registered
173 Posts
as long as you can still afford bills i would take the school job. the little less pay would be worth the time off for me.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I They are being so shady here, they would probably tell me they will give me more money just so I don't take the other job, then after a week lay me off and dump all the work on my co workers (who already have enough work on their plates).

They really screwed my dad over that way. ... Then they used him for 5 weeks and said they were done with him.
sounds like you definitely need a new employer! but i would keep this one until you can find a new one. good luck!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Go to the gym or something after work.
This always helps me and on those necessary rest days, I go to the range.

Either way you have a tough call and "dreading" going to work for me would be reason to find a way to make up that 44 cent difference until I can find something that suits me better.

Sincere best of luck to you.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If this wasnt a year round school, i would say you could file for unemployment during the summer. unfortunately dont think you can do that in a year round district.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I say take the other job and save yourself the stress of dreading coming into work and also of wondering it the company will be there.

As for the income, is there a sideline that you can get into that you can do for a little extra income? If it was something that you could pick up in your off weeks that would be even better.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I say take the other job and save yourself the stress of dreading coming into work and also of wondering it the company will be there.

As for the income, is there a sideline that you can get into that you can do for a little extra income? If it was something that you could pick up in your off weeks that would be even better.
It's kind of a trade off. I'm getting rid of the stress that has me worried the company will go under, and trading it for the stress of not making all my bills on time.

I don't think I will be able to find work during my off weeks since it's not 10 weeks in a row, it's all throughout the year.

And finding a second part time job is not an option, because my wife works nights and I stay home with our boy. The only other time I could get a second job is weekends. Then I would be working 7 days a week, and never get to see my wife because she would always be working during the time i'm off.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Stay where you are for now but never stop looking to improve your situation even if you do find another better paying job.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It's kind of a trade off. I'm getting rid of the stress that has me worried the company will go under, and trading it for the stress of not making all my bills on time.

I don't think I will be able to find work during my off weeks since it's not 10 weeks in a row, it's all throughout the year.

And finding a second part time job is not an option, because my wife works nights and I stay home with our boy. The only other time I could get a second job is weekends. Then I would be working 7 days a week, and never get to see my wife because she would always be working during the time i'm off.
I think your stress isn't just about losing your job or the doors will be closed. You said alot of things that make the company you work for not a good place to work. Big thing mentioned is there ethics, what they did to your dad is very unethical, and that in itself would have me looking for another job. The fact they have decreased your pay over the past 2 years but have you doing more work is something that is complete BS, and you are allowing them to do that to you. They are getting rid of the people who they can't take advantage of, and keeping the ones they can. Just my observation, and I would be getting out of there asap so I wasn't involved with a crappy corporation!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think your stress isn't just about losing your job or the doors will be closed. You said alot of things that make the company you work for not a good place to work. Big thing mentioned is there ethics, what they did to your dad is very unethical, and that in itself would have me looking for another job. The fact they have decreased your pay over the past 2 years but have you doing more work is something that is complete BS, and you are allowing them to do that to you. They are getting rid of the people who they can't take advantage of, and keeping the ones they can. Just my observation, and I would be getting out of there asap so I wasn't involved with a crappy corporation!
You damn near hit the nail on the head. I am being taken advantage of, and I want to turn it around. They have put so much work on me, that this branch will not be able to function properly if I up and leave. My branch manager has already admitted that to me, he said it in hopes that I will feel bad and not try to find another job.

The situation with my dad is a horrible one. He was employed here for 18 years, and worked 50+ hours every week. He started here when they had around 35-40 employees, and before the layoffs we were running about 400 employees. He got no warning before being laid off either time, and here's where it gets really bad. There was supposed to be a contract signed when he came back. He was going to have the president of our company sign a contract saying if he gets laid off again, he will get some kind of compensation. I believe it was around $12,000 (it was like 2 months worth of his pay). The president agreed, and said he would sign the contract. My dad wasn't too worried about it because he felt they really wanted him back. Well, the contract never got signed so my dad was screwed yet again. He probably could have filed a law suit since there was a verbal contract, but how is someone with no job and no money supposed to sue a business that has multiple lawyers?

I've hated this company ever since all of this started. They back stab you any way they can, and don't have even the slightest problem doing it.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
I've hated this company ever since all of this started. They back stab you any way they can, and don't have even the slightest problem doing it.
The school job is sounding better all the time. Might be worth the pay cut.

·
Registered
403 Posts

Would it be possible to negotiate with the new job? For example, if you said that you're really interested but you can't make things work unless you got a dollar more per hour, do you think they'd be able to do that for you?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Would it be possible to negotiate with the new job? For example, if you said that you're really interested but you can't make things work unless you got a dollar more per hour, do you think they'd be able to do that for you?
I've actually already done that. When I got the call, they said the job paid $9-$11 per hour based on experience. I've explained that I worked for Uhaul for 2 years, drove trucks from 10'-26' long, and drove boom trucks for over a year with my current company. So $11 an hour was the most I could get out of them and they agreed to it. This job isn't 100% certain yet either, I've actually got to meet with them tomorrow but it's looking really good for me because they said after tomorrow they would like me to start asap. Basically I sent in my resume, they gave me an over the phone interview, and tomorrow is my final interview.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The school job is sounding better all the time. Might be worth the pay cut.
It does look good, but it also means losing a lot of money for me. Not just the loss in pay, but the 10 weeks that I would have to make up for. I have a house and family to provide for, so if I didn't find something else that paid more within a descent amount of time, I would be screwing myself.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts