Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Admittedly I've been all over the place lately, but after looking at ammunition prices I'm considering selling off my .45's and ammunition in exchange for the 9mm platform. Besides, back when I owned several 9mm's I bought everything needed to reload 9mm and still have it all.

So if you could pick only 1 9mm for ccw purposes, what would you choose? I'm looking at something in the sub-$700 range. Near the top of the short list is the Sig 250sc for 2 reasons: 1) only slightly larger than a XDs and 2) 12 round magazines. I'm looking for other options out there and respect the knowledge of the guys on this forum, so please provide your best informed opinion. 1 caveat though, I'm not interested in a Glock.

Edit: In case anyone else decides to read just this post, ignore everything for the next 15 pages, then berate me on my decision, I've decided to reload .45 instead. Oh, and if you still decide to berate me, you can pound sand.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I'm currently carrying a S&W Shield 9, and it carries and shoots excellent.
If you're a Sig guy, the P938 is a neat little 9mm, but a bit heavy for me taste.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Gen 2 G19

·
Banned
20,993 Posts
SA Emp 9....better than Kimber...

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Glock Nineteen.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Too bad that you're not interested in Glocks, as my choice, if only 1 9mm, would also be the Gen2 G19.
But since you're not interested in Glocks, my 2nd choice is my EDC... the Shield.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
I'm tossing around the idea of the CZ75D compact. I love the platform, and have become a big fan of CZ.

If not then my other votes go to G19, G26, XDs, or XDm 3.8C.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
G26, G19 and Shield

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Walther PPQ, P99c or the PPS.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
A question like this will quickly get you a sample of what everyone on this forum carries on a regular basis. And now to follow suit...

My Kahr K9 is about as perfect as I can imagine a carry gun. It's heavy enough to nearly negate recoil, and has a very low bore axis to boot. The weight isn't an issue for me when it comes to IWB, but others might disagree. There's a high enough magazine capacity that I feel comfortable with one spare magazine (7+1, and an 8rd extended extra mag). Having no external safeties make it easy to use under pressure, and it's just dang comfortable (for me at least). The buttery smooth DAO is also a plus.

I love mine, and barring catastrophic failure I'll have it and carry it until the day I retire. Until that day I can only have one off-duty weapon registered with my dept, and this will be it. Sometime soon I plan to send mine out to Robar for some minor work and a facelift (NP3+). Gotta keep her in good shape.

Unfortunately, K9s are pricey new. If you want to stay on a budget find a nice used model like I did (although they're tough to track down), or check out their polymer counterpart the CW9. One of my coworkers has a CW9 and absolutely loves it. I imagine if it's anything like my CM9 or K9 you will too.

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
XD subcompact. Very accurate, very reliable, 13+1 with standard magazines, very concealable, I use the N82 Pro IWB. I personally like the fatter grip of a double stack...

124gr +p GDHP, and will try Underwood 147g +p+ with the same bullet used in Speer GDHP uses on next range trip.

That's my .02, anyway...

ETA here's a size comparison between Shield, XDSC, and XDs, all in 9mm. There are more in the Gallery.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
A hi point because it can also be used as a boat anchor.

1 - 20 of 178 Posts