Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you could change anything on the XD, what would it be? Do not include the finish, Im talking mechanical improvements.

I think they have done a really good job with this gun and I think the trigger is a pretty good design but I feel it could be a bit better.

Reduce reset and take-up would be a nice improvement. I would also like to see an extended slide lock lever as well as a bit more texture to the grip. Another improvement would be a stronger or maybe I should say sturdier mazazine tube.

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
Another hole drilled on top of the slide directly above the back round part of the extractor. Once all the slide parts are removed all you would have to do is put a punch down the hole and tap the extractor out.

A 13 rnd subcompact magazine aka 9rnd 40 sub mag.
They listened to us and and used a 12rnd 40 tube follower/spring and made an instant 16rnd mag we were doing this back in Sept. Although now they put more witness holes.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
I think the XD is a solid firearm. I would like to see them install sights that are not such a bear to move, so folks can install their own sights. I am guessing they have barrels fool of sights and a press for installation.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
widen the grip safety actuator to 1/2-2/3 the width of the backstrap.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Widen the frame and make true 40 cal width magazines. The existing magazines are the proper width for maximizing 9mm capacity and leave large gaps between the staggered 40 caliber rounds. If the magazine was widen about 0.1 inch we could create an XD-40 that might actually be a good Limited gun. ie getting 18-19 round in 140mm, as opposed to know where 14-15 is the max possible. As it stand now the XD-40 is at best a Limited-10 Gun.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Maybe a better coating on the slide to repel rust. I like the dull finish but you really have to watch out for rusty finger prints in humid areas.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Less overtravel in the trigger (as simple as adding an external trigger stop to the back of the trigger, or as part of the frame).

Tougher finish (like melonite).

Move the slide release forward about a 1/4th of an inch.

Make a 4" XD-9 with the same grip length as the Glock 19 or XD-SC.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Arnisandyz said:
For the SC - slimmed down, lighter and maybe a single-stack.
I feel the same. Eight rounds would be plenty for me. I'd really like a more narrow profile for easier and more comfortable concealment. Lighter weight would also be great. The SC slide seems to be very heavy to me. I realize that there are upsides to this, but I doubt I'll need a carry gun to last me 100 years. 90 should do just fine. :)

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Delija said:
Arnisandyz said:
For the SC - slimmed down, lighter and maybe a single-stack.
I feel the same. Eight rounds would be plenty for me. I'd really like a more narrow profile for easier and more comfortable concealment. Lighter weight would also be great. The SC slide seems to be very heavy to me. I realize that there are upsides to this, but I doubt I'll need a carry gun to last me 100 years. 90 should do just fine. :)

Peace,
D.
So you basicaly would like a Kahr PM9 with 8 rounds and the XD trigger....lol

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I'd be on a single stack, slim, XD9SC like white on rice. I would so be there.
As far as the Kahr goes, me no like double action. I like Springfields action, whatever its classified as these days.

·
Registered
454 Posts
although I have had no problems with my finish. i think that would/should be at the top of springfields list of changes. however I don't see it happening if it hasn't already.

Second I would add more or better or different stipling on the grip for better traction without the aid of Agrips or bike tubes,etc,etc.

·
Banned
5,098 Posts
JD McDorce said:
Add a manual safety and replace the USA trigger system with a pure single action trigger design. :wink:
I agree. The lack of a manual safety was the only negative that gave me some reservations about making the purchase. I have friends who would rather wait & save the money to buy a sig instead for that very reason.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Even though I like the way my XD feels and fits in my hand, I would like to have removable handgrips like on a SIG. This way I would have a more personalized pistol. My extractor was a pain to remove so I think that an access hole would be nice. My Sig P228 is a true DA/SA so it does not have a manual safety, but I do appreciate that it has a de-cocker feature on it. A de-cocker may not be necessary on the hammerless XD, but it makes me glad that there is at least a loaded chamber indicator on it.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
A better finish, no overtravel on the trigger and a 9-10 shot single stack 45acp version with a thinner grip and I'd be totally happy!

-Brickboy240

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Better finish, ditch the Glock trigger safety, add a frame mounted thumb safety= perfection :D

1 - 20 of 125 Posts