Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I rolled the dice a few months ago and bought a Kimber Kim Pro Tac Mag. The gun store I was in, was out of Wilson 47Ds and this one was 10 dollars cheaper. The guys said they all personally owned one and it ran fine.

Well, after using this mag, heavily, in two older Colts, the Springer GI Stainless and the Kimber TLE II....I can honestly say that it has given me no troubles. No bobbles, it drops free from all of these 1911s and locks the slide back when it is empty.

Basically, it does everything the Wilson 47D does and saves me 10 bucks.

I ran another 200rds through the TLE II this past Sunday and only used the Kim Pro Tac Mag.

So, if you are looking for another "worthy" 1911 mag...I would say the Kim Pro Tac Mag is worth trying. 10 bucks less than the Wilson and it is made here.

Forget what you know about the Kimber mags that come with the lower tier Kimber 1911s....their Tac Mag seems to be a totally different animal.

Just thought I'd tell you how things were going with the Kim Pro Tac Mag.....I will surely buy more of these!

- brickboy240

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
I have one too and its flawless, wonder how much better kimbers reputation would be if they all came with decent magazines.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The magazine that gave me the most fits was an older Colt mag...not any from Kimber.

That said, the Tac Mag is MUCH better made than the stock mag that came with my TLE II.

Glad I rolled the dice and nice to know there is a decent option to Wilson or CMC mags.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
29,893 Posts
I've picked up abut ten of 'em from my dealer...he's got 'em for $21.99.

Put one side by side with a CMC mag...there's basically no difference. Even the printing/engraving is the same font.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have one too and its flawless, wonder how much better kimbers reputation would be if they all came with decent magazines.
Amen to that! I was puzzled why Kimber included such a poor quality/faulty mag with my Custom II. I promptly returned it to the store and they gave me a Kim Pro. It works as good as my Wilson.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I run Metalforms that I buy on sale for $7.99 each and for the range they do everything any other magazine available will do. I carry Wilson, but the Metalforms are just as good, and are even cheaper at half the price of those Kimber mags. I have six 47Ds and six CMC PM+. I just couldn't bring myself to buy 20 or so more of each, so I found something cheaper. :)

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Kim Pro Tac Mag said it was made in the USA all over the box and on the mag. Aren't all Mec Gars made in Italy? The Novak Mec Gars I have seen said "Made in Italy" on the mag body. I think Kimber makes these mags, themselves.

I was shooting my old Colt Combat Commander this past Saturday and again...the Kim Pro mag worked 100% in the old Colt.

The fit and finish and overall feel of the Kim Pro Tac Mag is TEN TIMES better than the OEM stock mag that came with my TLE II.

Why Kimber can make such a great aftermarket mag and offer such junk in their Custom II line pistols is beyond me.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
41 Posts
The Kim Pro Tac Mag said it was made in the USA all over the box and on the mag.

They are made by Checkmate and the newer ones use a 13# Wolff spring. I've had excellent results with the three or four Checkmate 1911 mags I own. Top Gun Supply has good prices on them.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
When I bought my RIA 1911, the dealer claimed he "lost" the mag that came with it so he gave me a crappy colt knockoff mag. Needless to say after a few jams and misdeeds during the first 200 rnds out of the gun I bought a ss kimber pro mag and 8,000rnds later that mag has yet to fail,misdeed, or jam. I think I paid around 21.00 for mine. I second your GTG on kimber pro mags.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have been using pro mags in my trp for sometime and they have giving me zero issues. I also picked up a bunch for 17 bucks a mag which I felt was a steal.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
mine just jammed the second time today... I"m done using it. irritating only has 4 or 500 rounds through it.... just broke my guns 1300 no malfunction record... guess i'm just going to have to start shooting a lot more for a few weeks to get my confidence back in it.:twisted:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts