Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to build an AR but I'm wanting to make one with a .22 upper for now. If they :twisted: ban "assault rifle" (which I highly doubt) would they ban just the lowers or do you think the uppers too?

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Personally I believe the handwriting is on the wall. What that means is it's just a matter of time. How much time? Not sure at all. Probably about 20 years on the Federal level. Take a look at the "time frame of events" in the California bans and translate it Federally.

Yes, eventually they will ban all AR-15 rifles and types, probably including dedicated upper groups even in .22 LR. But, they will do it sly like, bit by bit, part by part, accessory by accessory, but they will EVENTUALLY do it. Just MY opinion. Good luck. HB of CJ :) :) :)

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Obama winning is the most influencing factor re: me buying an AR now. I shouldn't buy one (no need), but what happens if I cant get one later?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Obama winning is the most influencing factor re: me buying an AR now. I shouldn't buy one (no need), but what happens if I cant get one later?
The election is what caused me to go out and buy one sooner than i planned too. That being said i am so glad i have it now, I just need to get a few more uppers.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's always the black market...hahaha! Buy them from the criminals that don't give a crap about the laws.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The Assault Weapons Ban of 2008 has already been introduced in House of Representatives bill 6257, their including any type of AR-15, copied or duplicated.
Obama doesn't just want a AWB, he want's to ban firearms period. His idea is too repel the 2nd Amendment, same idea Hillary had. At least thats my opinion of his agenda, from all that I've read of him. I think thats where his headed, and with a Democratic controlled Congress and White House, only time will tell.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
There's always the black market...hahaha! Buy them from the criminals that don't give a crap about the laws.
I was in Mexico summer of 06 ... dude from Gallup, NM talked to us a while, offered us "party favors" (cocaine? lsd? I dunno) and afully auto M16! ;)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I heard under an Obama administration the military will be switching to tie-die uniforms with a turban and Birkenstocks and white flags instead of M-16s. I'm like "what the hell" I just bought these stupid new ABUs and now you are going to change it again.

"Don't ask, don't tell" is going to become "tell and get promoted."

I wonder what else he has up his turban...uh sleeve.

:-x

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
It looks like HR.6257 is meant to reinstate the previous AWB. If you check out the link, you'll be able to read the current AWB in legislation.
Alright. Time to buy one.

·
Premium Member
5,314 Posts
Every single year the same anti gunners try to pass the same assault rifle ban and every year they have failed since the original ban sunsetted. Even though the House and Senate are democrate there is still a pro gun majority in the senate. So you will not see any new gun laws on the federal level any time soon unless something drastically changes. Obama by himself can not make a ban happen. So while I would not stop donating to the NRA any time soon. I would not be losing sleep over the possiblity of another ban. The political pressure right now is against one.
Pat

·
Registered
115 Posts
Every single year the same anti gunners try to pass the same assault rifle ban and every year they have failed since the original ban sunsetted. Even though the House and Senate are democrate there is still a pro gun majority in the senate. So you will not see any new gun laws on the federal level any time soon unless something drastically changes. Obama by himself can not make a ban happen. So while I would not stop donating to the NRA any time soon. I would not be losing sleep over the possiblity of another ban. The political pressure right now is against one.
Pat
That is your opinion. I am picking up 5 more stripped lowers tonight just in case. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,922 Posts
That is your opinion. I am picking up 5 more stripped lowers tonight just in case. ;)
+1. Just ordered two in the past two weeks. Maybe a third on the way.

Here's the part that pisses me off though:
SEC. 4. STUDY BY ATTORNEY GENERAL.

• (a) STUDY- The Attorney General shall investigate and study the effect of this Act and the amendments made by this Act, and in particular shall determine their impact, if any, on violent and drug trafficking crime. The study shall be conducted over a period of 18 months, commencing 12 months after the date of enactment of this Act.
    (b) REPORT- Not later than 30 months after the date of enactment of this Act, the Attorney General shall prepare and submit to the Congress a report setting forth in detail the findings and determinations made in the study under subsection (a).
This was in the original AWB, and IIRC the said the ban had no impact. They study it once and don't like the results, so they're going to study it again and hope for something different. Isn't that the definition of INSANE!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Pat
This

Although feel free to buy if you feel the need. It is possible that prices will temporarily go up after the election.

From what I've been able to discern, the absolute failure or the ban to do any practical good, coupled with the fact that literally millions of AR's have been put into circulation since the sunset, will make passing another ban very difficult.

In addition to that, congressmen from both parties found themselves elected out the door after voting for the AWB.

There is also the 500lb gorilla in the room named California. The state with the strictest interpretation of the ban still in effect, and simultaneously the worst gun violence record in the country.

Hopefully, the bill dies like it has every other year. I think at this point, the federal government is happy to keep that political hot potato where it is now, in the hands of the states...

Scott

·
Premium Member
5,314 Posts
I have 4 stripped lowers and a ton of high cap mags.
Nothing wrong with hedging your bests.
pat

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm hoping that the pro-gun democrats will vote against it. If this is possible, I hope they don't surrender this nay vote for another agenda bill.

·
Premium Member
5,314 Posts
I'm hoping that the pro-gun democrats will vote against it. If this is possible, I hope they don't surrender this nay vote for another agenda bill.
With the way things are going if the Democrats dropped the gun issue or went pro gun as a party I would join them in a second over the republicans.
Pat

1 - 20 of 22 Posts