Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the .40 magazines work with 9mm? Is an aftermarket barrel like EFK 9mm going to work well in a gun designed for .40 cal?

Depending on how much translates from .40 to 9mm, this could be a steal. Truly getting two guns for less than one from someone else!

I am guessing the following would be the cost of the conversion

EFK barrel - $150
two magazines - $50
Gunsmith time - $75 (maybe ?)

Total cost would be $275 and I would have a custom fit barrel 9mm to boot. Is this too good to be true?

Paul

·
Registered
25 Posts
Im pretty sure the .40 mags work with 9mm, the EFK barrel is drop in so no gunsmithing fees, and no new mags, so just the $150 for the barrel

·
Registered
42 Posts
the .40 mags will work, but you have to bend the top lips of the mag to give the 9mm round the proper hieght. If you don't you will end up with alot of misfeeds.

If it was me I would just spend the extra money on the hi-cap 9mm mags.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yeah bro - go w/ the XD40, EFK Barrel from Old School and you are set!

Like someone else already said, the .40 mags will feed your 9mm ammo fine (and give you greater capacity) with some very minor tweaking to the feed lips. AJames has some good pics of this somewhere. Maybe he'll chime in or someone will post the pics for you but it's easy.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have the EFK 9mm conversion barrel for my XD40 tactical, with about 500 rounds through it. I didn't have much luck feeding 9mm ammo in the 40 cal mags, so I bought a few 9mm XD mags.

There was no gunsmithing involved; the 9mm barrel's accuracy is no different from the 40 cal barrel.

jb

·
Registered
467 Posts
?? here. Would you want to NOT bend the lips if you were planning to continue to use the mags with .40? I don't know (being new to the gun and all), but it would seem to me that if you are using both barrels and not just making a full conversion, that the best thing to do would be to buy some 9 mags for the 9 barrel, and leave the .40's alone. :?:

·
Registered
238 Posts
I also have an EFK 9mm barrel but for my 4" and it is great. My .40 mags work good and hold 15 rounds, but the slide locks open before the last round. I could pinch the lips of the mag so they would work all the time but I only use it for plinking and want them to work flawlessly for my .40 ammo. My barrel also dropped right in so don't worry about fitting.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yeah, I agree also - just get the extra 9mm mags and be done with it. Couple o' mags, a new barrel and you now have 2 XDs - VOILA! :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
If I had it to do all over again I would buy the 40 and the 9 barrel + 9mm mags....
Oh well, hindsight is 20/20 :)

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I have ten 40S&W mags that feed both .40 AND 9mm perfectly. The reason that .40 mags sometimes lock up a 9mm with one shot left is that the 9mm is smaller in diameter. Thus, the magazine follower rises higher on the last shot, high enough to engage the slide lock. By bending the feed lips in slightly, the 9mm doesn't rise as high, the follower doesn't engage the slide stop and all is well with the world.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ditto on what snakeater siad...I've had NO problems even with the mags tweaked.

Rikoshey :twisted:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts