Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...the 147 grain version of the SAME hollow point will also? Specifically, I have settled on the HST 124 grain for my semi-auto's and am in the process of shooting 50- 100 rounds of it to be confident it cycles reliably in both guns. As the 124 grain HST's are becoming practically unavailable at the moment and there are some 147 grain HST's still out there, I am wondering if I should get some 147's (I know they are also very good performer's) and be able to stock them without using up a lot of them to be sure they cycle? IOW - it's the same bullet in a different weight but I'm pretty sure (?) the shape of the hollow point is the same. So do I need to shoot 50-100 of them in the same guns that "liked" the 124 grainers to be confident about them?

It's NOT a different hollow point, just a different weight, so I'm thinking "no" I shouldn't need to?

What are your opinions?

Thanks...

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
Yes.
Heavier wt rd means higher powder charge and faster slide and more felt recoil.
In theory they should be fine.
25 would be my minimum rd ct for reliability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,064 Posts
In theory, yes, it should work.

But in this instance, I trust theory as far as I can throw it on a crumpled piece of paper.

With defensive/duty and even competition guns, I'd always want to verify the actual round itself. Weird things have been known to happen, and in the context of these particular types of serious use, such a one-off instance would be absolutely unacceptable to me.

Any issues should pop up sooner rather than later - a full mag of at least 7 or 10 would be great (for those who have higher capacity guns, this would mean more, but I'm shooting for the lowest-common-denominator, here, with a potential single-stack sub-compact), but even if you can only afford to send 5 or just 3 down range, it's much, much better than nothing.

If ammo is really tight, I'd work POA/POI at the farthest distance/rage that you can reliably perform to, again verifying for at least that initial 3 to 5 shots (thus, you're checking both function as well as external ballistics at the same time). And if you can spare the additional ammo, I'd make shots beyond the initial 3 to 5 use for the purpose(s) above faster-paced, to see if any differences in recoil plays out in real-life, in your hands.

I'll again use the following range-trip with my buddy for illustration:

When my buddy completed his Roland Special build, we were both somewhat worried about the supposed ammo-finickiness of that setup.

To insure that we wouldn't waste a range trip, I brought out with me sixteen different makes/models of factory ammo - both el-cheapo range-fodder as well as premium defensive/duty cartridges - to give the gun both some good exercise as well as to log some data for ourselves.

To our astonishment, the gun performed just about the same with 15 of the 16 different 9x19 cartridges - everything from 115 gr. to 147 gr., standard pressure and +P.

Out of the bunch, only 147 gr. aluminum-cased Blazer, for whatever reason, caused it to literally open its group size to double what we saw with any of the other ammo (this was 10 shots at 22 yards - which was as far as the range allowed us to push the targets back to - shot freestyle, at a pace of about a shot every 1.5 to 2 seconds). The gun shot both 115 and 124 gr. Blazer aluminum just fine, and it also shot various other 147 gr. ammo (including both Speer GDHP and Federal HST) just fine, too. Literally, everything was fist-sized with the exception of the 147 gr. Blazer aluminum, which became hand-sized. We even re-tested, just to be sure.

·
Registered
29,575 Posts
...the 147 grain version of the SAME hollow point will also? Specifically, I have settled on the HST 124 grain for my semi-auto's and am in the process of shooting 50- 100 rounds of it to be confident it cycles reliably in both guns. As the 124 grain HST's are becoming practically unavailable at the moment and there are some 147 grain HST's still out there, I am wondering if I should get some 147's (I know they are also very good performer's) and be able to stock them without using up a lot of them to be sure they cycle? IOW - it's the same bullet in a different weight but I'm pretty sure (?) the shape of the hollow point is the same. So do I need to shoot 50-100 of them in the same guns that "liked" the 124 grainers to be confident about them?

It's NOT a different hollow point, just a different weight, so I'm thinking "no" I shouldn't need to?

What are your opinions?

Thanks...
I would not make that assumption...I’d run at least a couple mags through my gun first to verify function.

Anything more, @TSiWRX has it covered.
Yes.
Heavier wt rd means higher powder charge and faster slide and more felt recoil.
In theory they should be fine.
25 would be my minimum rd ct for reliability.

As stated elsewhere—same powder, lesser charge for heavier bullets.

Also, heavier bullets usually have less felt recoil to get the same results...this is why a lot of gamers run heavy for caliber bullets, not lightweight.

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
My mistake actually.
Had it mixed up in me lil brain.

But trying the round os always best.

Another example of why NOT to follow others internet advice..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Most guns are (from what I've read) are set up to fire 124 gr. bullets reliably. Of course, most 115 gr. and 147 gr. bullets should cycle in your gun, but you should check it out thoroughly.

I have standardized on the 147 gr. Hornady XTP hollowpoint for self defense, I load it with HS-6 at really close to the max recommended load which gives about 1,050 fps from a standard length barrel. Not too shabby.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I would not assume any ammo, especially self defense ammo, would run.
Expect it to run? Sure.

How's that for pedantic?

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Well, if 124 gr run great and you have ample supply to last a while, I say don't change to147s until you get very low, if ever, I run 124 gr gold dots in all my 9mm defense guns with 100% reliability. I keep a good supply on hand. Then you don't have to worry about change. However my opinion is if the 124 HST run reliable, then the 147 grain same HST should do the exactly the same thing because the only difference in those two rounds is length, with everything else exactly the same except for weight because of the length. However. like some others have said, shoot 25 to verify the longer bullet will cycle in your gun.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I run 147 gr in my Sig P938 as the heavier bullets will dig deeper. To the OP's question definitely do a reliability check before you carry them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts