Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I shot my first idpa match today...a qualifier.

After a great indoor range warmup yesterday......all I can say today, and I can sum it up into one word.
humbling...!:oops:

lots of first today:
first match, first time shooting from a kneeling position, first time shooting from 20yds, first time shooting from cover, first time shooting on the move, frontwards and backwards.
shooting one handed, both strong and weak....I shook soooo much, you would have thought I had the palsy...humbling.

fun.....but humbling. But, as I have said in previous posts....I didn't care about my score, I just wanted the change from shooting indoors and being able to move and utilize cover. I had fun with it. Will do it again.

did I mention I was humble......? Geeezzzzz.
pb

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Just so you'll know it's a classifier. You will shoot the same one every time you classify for a division no matter what division you are shooting. After that 1st one, and most of us were humbled to some degree, you now have an idea of what to practice the most on in the future. Use your new knowledge of your skills to improve so that the next time will be less painful. Trust me; it does get better if you put in a little practice time. Good luck.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Yes, even for a good shooter, the classifier can be trouble. If you are on, then it's not tough to make SS or Exp. if you are off, then Marksman can be a struggle. It only matters really for sanctioned mathces. For local matches, who really cares what classification you shoot, you are really shooting against everyone at the local level, at least that is how I see it. I may only have 1 or 2 guys in my class, so I look for overall placement as my measuring stick. Most clubs have 2 classifiers a year. You can shoot it as many times as you like.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh yeah.....classifier.....sorry....see, I dont even know what the hell I'm shootin' lol.

I shot my xd sc 9mm, at this local club, oh, and I qualified as novice....it should have been something lower....something like...."find a new sport" or "go back to sporting clays and skeet"

Welcome to the Frontpage

super nice guy running my group. I had told him I was a first timer and kept asking questions. He was very patient and helpful. We both laughed a lot, I laughed at myself a lot.

After much reflection....
I had way to much sugar and caffine prior to the match.
I shot wayyyyy too fast trying to keep up with the other shooters
I need to work on everything.
I need to work on one handed shooting
I need to wear my reading glasses to see my sights better
I need to calm down and feel the trigger
I need to work on double tap, which I cannot do at my indoor range.

some other observations were:

7yds outdoors looked a lot longer than 7yds indoors
I liked the advancing and backing the most
I'm a lefty, and I missed ALL of the head shots on the left target double tap from 7. That really surprised me, the day before, I had tight groups in the head at my indoor range.

oh well, the ice has been broken....not to be detered. I enjoyed it. What does Ahnold say...."Iahl be back"

thanks for the replies....
pb

·
Registered
68 Posts
its addicting, when I started I just went slow and never really cared too much how well i did because its a game, but like with everything else you only get better

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
SLOW DOWN! Really, it's what I tell all noobs to any action shooting sport. Go for accuracy first, regardless fo time. It's easy to learn to shoot faster, harder to learn to shoot accurate. Speed will come w/ confidence & good fundamentals. Going fast for the sake of going fast results in, well what you exp, a lot of misses.
One of the guys I shoot CDP/SS against is a cop, good shooter too. He tries to shoot perfect every match, often he is the top accurate shooter, rarley misses. Now he is slower, sometimes a lot slower than I am, rarely wins, but when he has to shoot fast he can & does. Obviously, we both shoot CDP/SS. My first classifier & 2nd match was last May, I shot CDP, missed expert by 9sec, too many near misses @ the 20yd mark. So go for accuracy first, the speed will come, trust me.

·
Registered
589 Posts
As a reminder, each of the 3 Classifier stages are covered in the video you recieve with IDPA mebership. Use the DVD to help train for the Classifier next time you shoot it.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I didnt get any stinking video!

·
Registered
589 Posts
My wife got one with her membership card a couple of months ago. I'd contact IDPA and inquire about getting one sent. Rule book is covered in video format.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I didnt get any stinking video!
Yeah, no video for me either. Supposed to get one with the SO class too, but no. The classifier is laid out in the rule book. If you have the sapce, easy enough to lay out & practice but it's no big deal except for bragging rights. Practice anything enough & you'll nail it. It's how you shoot on match days that count. Any good shooter can have bad days & any level of shooter can be beaten, even vaunted master & grand master level shooters have been hammered by "lesser" classified shooters, so I wouldn't get too worked up about where you start. Shoot well enough in a sanctioned match & you get a bump anyway.;)

L

·
0 Posts
I shot my classifier on the 15th. It was my first also, and it was humbling also. I did manage to pull of a Marksman in ESP with my XDm though. I knew that was going to be the best I would do so I'm not TOO disappointed. Hopefully I can edge out a sharpshooter sometime in the not too distant future, but it will take a lot of practice on my part.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
well I shot my first idpa match today...a qualifier.

After a great indoor range warmup yesterday......all I can say today, and I can sum it up into one word.
humbling...!:oops:

lots of first today:
first match, first time shooting from a kneeling position, first time shooting from 20yds, first time shooting from cover, first time shooting on the move, frontwards and backwards.
shooting one handed, both strong and weak....I shook soooo much, you would have thought I had the palsy...humbling.

fun.....but humbling. But, as I have said in previous posts....I didn't care about my score, I just wanted the change from shooting indoors and being able to move and utilize cover. I had fun with it. Will do it again.

did I mention I was humble......? Geeezzzzz.
pb
you're hosed man, you are done! you are fixing to spend some money on some ammo. i'd consider getting a reloader or a reloader bud you could pay till you get one of your own. or just work OT! glad to have you on board..."Alllll Aboard!...next stop bankrupcy!"

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
you're hosed man, you are done! you are fixing to spend some money on some ammo. i'd consider getting a reloader or a reloader bud you could pay till you get one of your own. or just work OT! glad to have you on board..."Alllll Aboard!...next stop bankrupcy!"
The way some guys are going & would almost agree! 150rds of factory 45acp & match fees twice a month! Fortunately I do reload so the ammo is pretty darn cheap. I also SO @ the club I shoot, so they let me shoot for free. Yes I have to work the stages, but I still get to shoot & it keeps me involved, I also get to help/coach the noob shooters, so it's also giving back a bit on my end.;)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah....I've been doing my homework on reloaders....have got it down to an LNL or a Dillon 650. I'm constantly watching ebay, and looking for deals. I keep all of my brass in anticipation of loading at some point. In the mean time, LGS has Blazer 9mm for < 10 bucks.....so I shoot that.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
yeah....I've been doing my homework on reloaders....have got it down to an LNL or a Dillon 650. I'm constantly watching ebay, and looking for deals. I keep all of my brass in anticipation of loading at some point. In the mean time, LGS has Blazer 9mm for < 10 bucks.....so I shoot that.
i've been out a few yrs shooting, but is that blazer that aluminum 'brass' stuff? if so, you're better off shooting some w/real brass and DO pickup your brass and anyone else's that don't AND don't care that you pick theirs up (ask first...or wait till they leave the range to see if they do).

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think that IDPA needs to talk a long hard look at the classification system currently in place. I don't think that it measures a shooters abilities across a broad enough set of skill sets.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I think that IDPA needs to talk a long hard look at the classification system currently in place. I don't think that it measures a shooters abilities across a broad enough set of skill sets.
Really, how so? You have strong hand, weak hand moving, reloading, close & fast, far & not as fast, cover & no cover. What else would you add?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts