Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed a few XDm owners live in the North Texas area. Do ya'll shoot in any IDPA matches? Wheres a good place to start?

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you've never shot competition before, Dallas Pistol Club has 2 types of action pistol matches and 2 steel matches every month. They go by their own rules, but if you just want to shoot with a bunch of really nice guys and have fun, it's great. They have what they call the Personal Protection match tomorrow starting at 11:00. Arrive about a 1/2 before and your good to go. This match has pretty simple stages, and I've never seen more than 24 rounds, so you don't need a lot of equipment. I hope to be out there.

·
Registered
104 Posts
There will be an IDAP match in Terrell on Saturday December 20th.

My wife and I go out there every month. They are a great bunch of people and we have a good time there. And, you get lunch after the match.

I like to think of it as, I buy a lunch, and get to shoot guns for free.

Come on out if you're interested.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
I've thought about IDPA myself, just never got around to going to a match. With ammo prices up, it kind of hinders the idea a little although I may still try it sometime. I'm not into getting serious about it for competitions sake but for getting some trigger time from the draw in a scenario setup rather than standard range shooting. Tried checking out the Collin County IDPA site but it tells me I've been rejected, my IP has done something wrong or something along those lines. Dunno why because I've not visited that site in a looooong time and I'm using a new (AT&T) internet provider.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going for the fun, trigger time and learn to shoot better. The competition just makes it more fun, I have several "dead ass last" trophies!!! I hear most matches only take 150 rounds or so, great fun for around $40 plus a little for the clubs.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
I've thought about IDPA myself, just never got around to going to a match. With ammo prices up, it kind of hinders the idea a little although I may still try it sometime. I'm not into getting serious about it for competitions sake but for getting some trigger time from the draw in a scenario setup rather than standard range shooting. Tried checking out the Collin County IDPA site but it tells me I've been rejected, my IP has done something wrong or something along those lines. Dunno why because I've not visited that site in a looooong time and I'm using a new (AT&T) internet provider.
Don't let the cost of ammo hold you back. When I go to the range for lane shooting, I usually shoot around 200 rounds. Each IDPA match runs about 50 rounds. It's the other gun games that go through hundreds of rounds each match.

I'm going for the fun, trigger time and learn to shoot better. The competition just makes it more fun, I have several "dead ass last" trophies!!! I hear most matches only take 150 rounds or so, great fun for around $40 plus a little for the clubs.
For the first year I was in IDPA, it was all about shooting from a draw, acquiring my target picture, and shooting on the move. I did not even try to be competitive. I was shooting IDPA with my carry gear and regular clothes. It wasn't until the second year when I got an OWB Kydex holster and a vest. Each match costs me $10.28 to the range and $5 to the club and about 50 rounds of factory ammo. In return, I have become a better shooter.

Keep in mind IDPA is not tactical training. It is still a game. However, different people get different things out of it. Some are in it purely for the game and competition. Some are in it to be better shooters. Some are in it for both, at different balances.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Only 50 rounds? Hmm, that's not too bad, I may give it a shot next year after the holidays are over. I'd be more into trying it for the bit of practical experience I could get, shooting from the draw and movement etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts