Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am interested in participating in IDPA. How do I find out when and where? How do I know if I am too much of a novice to participate? Is there any advice from previous IDPA attendees?

Thanks for your time!

lemur

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would go to the IDPA website at www.idpa.com and click on affilated clubs and then on the picture of your state. You should get a listing of all the clubs in Utah. Hopefully there will be a good one there. If you were or should ever be in Texas, I shoot with a great and active clubs run by "Iron Mike" from Texastactical.
We welcome all safe shooters. If you are aware of the basic rules of safety, we can take you from there. Most clubs can not exist without shooters, so we make every reasonable accomodation to help new shooters enjoy and learn our sport. We also try to take time to explain the rationalle behind the rules/techniques used. I believe if you contact a local club , someone will take you under their wing. If you ever decide to come the San Antonio/Austin area drop me or Mike an email. We would love to help out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't think there is any such thing as too much of a novice to shoot IDPA. Our matches are set up to start out with basic range safety instructions for new shooters and allways an explanation of the course of fire before starting and any questions answered prior to start of each stage. The main thing is basic safety and common sense with regards to range safety and then just go out and have a good time shooting. Probably will feel a little apprehensive the first couple of matches, but the enjoyment of shooting will quickly erase any of those feeling and you will not want to miss any matches. Go out and have a good time and don't worry about being at the top of the list, you will be surprised at how quickly you will get better. John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Mr. Gadget! It turns out that there is a match this saturday that's quite close to the house.

John, thank you for the encouragement.

I'll certainly check it out.

lemur

·
Registered
23 Posts
lemur,
Let me know what you think of the match. If you are shooting your XD you will be in ESP class. Hope it goes well, I was hooked after my 1st match.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am the match Director for the Club you probably went to this last weekend. I hope you enjoyed the match. Please let me know if you need any information at all. I am getting ready to pick up my first XD oh what a feeling this gun is in the hand.

Take care

Kevin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I'm back to report. I got in a late and didn't do any shooting, but I got to watch a few CoFs. I talked to Pat (I hope I remembered his name correctly) and saw he had his sons shooting. I was suprised to find that they were 13 and 14!

IDPA style matches are exactly what I am seeking. I'm not really interested in the scoring, just the practice. I don't know how many matches I'll be able to attend in a year and I don't want to throw money at an IDPA annual membership if I can only attend 2 or 3 matches a year. Besides, my wife isn't going to let me hang out with a bunch of gun nuts. :D

The FARM facility looks very nice. I hope I can get back there.

lemur

·
Registered
2 Posts
lemur, I am glad you made it to the match. Pat is our Club President and a top notch guy. Please email me if you want any info at all or just call me. I believe that IDPA requires membership after the first match but I will check. We are having our state championships in Sept. and they have always been a great match. I just picked up an XD 9 and I think this will be my IDPA gun for this year. I will run it through the wringer.

Take care

Kevin
[email protected]

801-404-0342

1 - 8 of 8 Posts