Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shoot IDPA at a local club and am planning on joining IDPA and competing on a regular basis. My question is, does anyone here use the XD holster in competition? Is it even approved for use by IDPA? I currently use the XD paddle holster and it works perfect for me, but I did not see anything in the rule book about the use of paddle holsters. If you are not using the XD holster, what are you using?

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
xd 40 blackhawk serpa

m&p 9c blade tech

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
I use Blade-Tech holsters with the Tek-Lok. There are dozens of holster options out there. Best to find one you like and confirm it is legal before purchasing.

I would suggest a kydex rig and not leather, if you are looking a quick and smooth draw.

OS

·
Registered
285 Posts
+1 on the bladetech...you can take the D&O off and on if you go back and forth between idpa and uspsa

I use Blade-Tech holsters with the Tek-Lok. There are dozens of holster options out there. Best to find one you like and confirm it is legal before purchasing.

I would suggest a kydex rig and not leather, if you are looking a quick and smooth draw.

OS

·
Registered
152 Posts
I currently use a Don Hume for carry and IDPA for my XD9, but am thinking about either a comp-tac or a blade tech. I use OWB holsters.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
The main thing about IDPA holsters, from what I can tell, is that they are 'suitable for CCW' which means they have no gap between the gun/holster and your belt. The gap of course makes it easier to grab the gun but also makes it stick out too far from your body.

In IDPA, in my opinion, you should use the actual gun, holster, mag carrier, belt that you actually CCW.

I admit that I usually carry an XD Sc 9mm but use my XD Service .40 in IDPA but I do sometimes carry the .40.

I use a paddle holster because I'm taking the gun on/off a couple of times a day due to restrictions and social reasons (can't walk into the Post Office CCW and when I go into a friend's house I do not CCW).

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Use what you have until it starts holding you back.

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
The difference between a carry and the XD holster should be minimal. I use a IWB for my .38 and have ordered a IWB Bullard for my XD. While in training I learned the wisdom of having more than 5 rounds available. The main thing we learned was that whatever you practice is what you will do when your brain goes into "auto mode". This can be when the buzzer goes off behind your head or when the BG draws a gun on you. If you practice an incorrect reload during dry fire or at the range, that is what you will do in a stress situation. If your gun is in slide-lock, drop the magazine to the ground as you insert the new one. A tactical reload for IDPA is done at the gun and a retention reload is done by putting the clip away first. A retention reload should only be done at IDPA. It is a bad habit to get into. They find dead people all the time holding onto an empty mag. Practice dry fire, but do it correctly. Since IDPA is mostly done with a conceal garment, do your practice with that on. Last night one of the stages was to be done with the vest zipped shut or snapped, so be ready for that. The XD holster works great for IDPA.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Which Blade Tech model are most of you using. I saw that the StingRay is IDPA approved, but are there other choices that would work? I'm a Leftie, so have to keep that in mind.

Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
I ended up bying a Blade Tech Stingray in left-hand.

·
Registered
609 Posts
My question is, does anyone here use the XD holster in competition? Is it even approved for use by IDPA? I currently use the XD paddle holster and it works perfect for me, but I did not see anything in the rule book about the use of paddle holsters. If you are not using the XD holster, what are you using?
The XD holster is perfectly legal, but it is not the best choice for competition. Don't know about the paddle model, but the belt model that comes with XDs isn't as stable on your belt as a nice Kydex model like the Blade-Tech or Comp Tac. Additionally, the Kydex models allow for a smoother and faster draw than the XD Gear model due to the differences in the materials.

But if you are new to IDPA and you have the XD Gear holster...use it. Until you are positive that you are into IDPA big time, there is no reason to go out and drop $65 on a top-flight Kydex holster.

As for my holster, it is a Blade-Tech Stingray belt model.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
And Kydex belt holsters can be ripped off their belt loops pretty easily. That is why they aren't the best choice for self-defense/duty carry. But they are ideal for competition.
Not a good Kydex holster. A cheapie maybe, but good ones are superior to leather in many ways for defensive carry (especially duty rigs).

ranburr

1 - 20 of 21 Posts