Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HS2K is not listed in IDPA's newest rule book (green copy).

In what divisions may one shoot the HS?

One one hand, it's a "safe action" pistol so it qualifies as SSP-Standard Service Pistol.

OTOH, it's also single action so it qualifies as ESP-Enhanced Service Pistol.

Funny how most Glockers compete in SSP yet the Glock may also be shot as "ESP"...wonder how that works? :confused:

·
Registered
22 Posts
The HS2000 would normally be in the Stock Service Pistol (SSP)division along with the Glocks, but could also be used in the Enhanced Service Pistol (ESP) division, as per the IDPA rule book. I don't know why this is, as it allows some people to game a major match by signing up for ESP where there are usually fewer shooters. This has the effect of moving them closer to metal/trophy if they are pretty good, but not good enough to snag at least third in SSP. I think that ESP may eventually be limted to single action pistols with mag capacities over 7 and calbers less than 45. Personally, I would like to see the divisions go away and add a few more levels to the classifications. This would cause shooters to drift towards weapons that work best and allow them to move up to new challanges (read classifications)as their skills improved. If you plan to use your HS200 in IDPA, I cannot recommend it enough. I have stopped using a Glock for IDPA and started using my HS2000 exclusively. It is more accurate than the Glock, even with an aftermarket barrel, and the trigger breaks cleaner - more like a 1911. The HS2000 seems to have a weak trigger return, but so far this has not slowed me down any. If you have trouble finding a holster, any IDPA approved leather holster for the smaller Glock frames (17,19,23,32 etc.) can be made to work. Simply wrap the HS in very thin plastic, soak the holster in alcohol enough to wet it, then insert the HS and allow the holster to dry. Afterwards, treat the holster with a good conditiioner and presto an HS2000 holster. The mag pouches seem to work fine without modification - at least mine did.

Good Luck,

TEX

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"The HS2000 would normally be in the Stock Service Pistol (SSP)division along with the Glocks, but could also be used in the Enhanced Service Pistol (ESP) division, as per the IDPA rule book."

Unfortunately not.

I sent this same request for info to our club's match director who in turn contacted IDPA HQ in Arkansas. Their answer was that the HS2000 is SSP only. :roll:

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Ponti, the match directors at the two clubs where I shoot told me that the HS, like the Glock would qualify in both SSP and ESP.
Unlike the Glock, the HS is really a single action and probably should be in ESP.

I guess one should wait until it is specificaly mentioned in the rule book before making an assumption as to where it lies.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
All XDs can shoot in ESP division. XD 45ACP can also shoot in CDP division.

·
Registered
244 Posts
XD is ESP see below from Ken H.

"There continues to be some question about the IDPA definition of a DA pistol. The DA pistol is considered to be a handgun that does two things with the trigger. First, the trigger cocks the hammer or retracts the striker, then releases the sear or striker, aka double action. If the trigger ONLY releases the sear or striker, it is a Single Action. For Stock Service Pistol Division, DA pistols are required. The Springfield Armory XD is a design in which the trigger only releases the striker; it does not cock or retract it...Thus the XD is a Single Action...Glocks are DA because, while the striker is partially pre-cocked, the trigger does retract the striker a short distance before releasing it. So we consider the Glock DA and it is placed in Stock Service Pistol Division. I have had people argue that the XD’s trigger not only releases the striker but also moves the firing pin safely out of the way. Thus, they argue, the XD should be considered a Double Action pistol...Sorry, but that dog won’t hunt. If we bought this line of logic, the Series 80 Colt M1911 pistols would be considered Double Actions as well. Don’t think so...Get over it folks. The XD is a very good pistol and can fit nicely into ESP." By: Ken Hackathorn

Excerpt taken from:
http://www.idpa.com/tj.asp?ID=110

1 - 9 of 9 Posts