Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I got my first 44 magnum a couple weeks ago and had some random ammo thrown in with it. Trying to figure out exactly what type of bullet this is. The jacket makes me think hollow point but usually the lead tip is hollow as well. They're heavy. Noticeably heavier than some 300 grain bullets i have
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414380845.193649.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
You seem to be holding a round shouldered soft point semi-wadcutter bullet (RSSPSW). Though it may weigh 300grns it is more likely a 240grn bullet. Pull it and weigh it to be sure. You cannot tell how far into the case it goes, so trying to just look at it and tell the weight is almost impossible.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
If you are unsure of where the ammo came from DO NOT SHOOT IT. That could turn into a bad day really quick.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
You seem to be holding a round shouldered soft point semi-wadcutter bullet (RSSPSW). Though it may weigh 300grns it is more likely a 240grn bullet. Pull it and weigh it to be sure. You cannot tell how far into the case it goes, so trying to just look at it and tell the weight is almost impossible.
He is not holding a "bullet" he is holding a cartridge. It is not a semi-wadcutter it is loaded with a flat point jacket bullet.

If he has random ammo they may be some ones reloads, unless you know for sure do not shoot them.

don

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Not worth your hands

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

Reactions: jimdanos

·
Registered
22,575 Posts
Not worth your hands

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

Or your eyes.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
He is not holding a "bullet" he is holding a cartridge. It is not a semi-wadcutter it is loaded with a flat point jacket bullet.

If he has random ammo they may be some ones reloads, unless you know for sure do not shoot them.

don
Not to be argumentative, but he asked about the bullet type. I certainly understand that he is holding a loaded cartridge. When there is exposed lead at the nose it is most often called a soft point, though many soft points carry the lead past the jacket. A flat point jacketed bullet would have jacket material over the flat point. There is a wider than ogive ridge just above the case which is generally considered to be a "semi wadcutter" design because it will leave a clean, caliber sized hole in the target.. I still think he should pull one of those bullets and weigh it just to satisfy his curiosity about its weight if nothing else. If the round in question came in a bag or loose rather than out of a factory ammo box, then I, like others here, might suggest he pull all the bullets and reload the cases for his own safety.

·
Registered
17,774 Posts
Huh? round shouldered soft point semi-wadcutter bullet (RSSPSW)

Googling flat nose, soft point, or jacketed soft point

The Semi-Jacketed stuff shows more lead

Be careful with "random" unknown ammo

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I'll clear this up: it's a AFJCPBBCFS

(almost fully jacketed copper plated big bullet cartridge from space)

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
With all of the guesses, what happened to Mat? I would agree with the safety-minded opinion here, if you don't know the bullet/cartridge origin, I wouldn't be shooting it, especially in a .44 mag.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
Jacketed Soft Point, JSP. They have been loaded long where the bullet was not seated deep enough to put the case-mouth at the cannelure. Whether or not they're safe to shoot may depend on several factors. If it's a S&W M29 or variant, you need to make sure that they're not too long for the cylinder where typically, Rugers will allow a longer OACL so long as it's not beyond flush with the cylinder face. You definitely need to pull a bullet and determine the correct weight. If possible, determine the powder used (show a pic if possible) and weigh the powder charge as well so that it can be compared to load data, hopefully. Being an unknown commodity, I would not shoot it until some basic questions can be answered. I really don't like to see guys buying "factory" reloads or someone elses where you don't know the cartridge specifics. That is an invitation to a possible unsafe condition. ;)

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Certainly a jacketed soft point. Norma used to load one like that. Apparently BB does too. If they are reloads, pull them, don't risk the new gun. If they are factory, shoot em up.

·
Premium Member
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So although I understood the potential dangers, a few of these were shot before I even made the post. Some of them look like factory reloads, or just well made hand loads. Perfectly clean and undented casings, same length. Obviously I'm not into reloading though. I've rejected the few rounds that were somewhat questionable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts