Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Old produce. My wife worked for a produce distributor, and I used to get the old (unsellable) stuff to use as targets. Pineapples are the best!

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
My "Girl Friend with Two Rings" likes to drink bottle water. I save the used bottles refill them with creek water and hammer away.

Clay pigeons make good cheap and challenging targets.

By far the most economical and IMHO the most fun is buying some steel and make yourself some knock down plates. The one pictured below are made form 3/8 plate steel cut in 6 inch squares with two pieces of angle iron welded to one corner to form a base. I painted one side white the other black. They have taken everything from 22lr to 44 Magnum and even some 410 slugs

Nothings more satisfying than the Bang-Ping! of shooting steel.

On a similar note we welded some chain to some old brake rotors of my cavalier and an old Ford Truck and shot those but the cast rotors were to hard and it did not take the welds well or 357 and 44 magnum bullets. The 44 just cracked them up pretty bad. It was good fun for one outing, they probably won’t last more than one or two more shooting sessions

Yellow circles around the hanging brake rotors. The gopher in the foreground has its own page on my website. See link in signiture for that.

This picture above is the plates after much uses and much mud.

The abused Brake Rotors above. The holes and chips are mostly from the 44 Mag and 357 Magnum the rest of the hits that did not penetrate are from one of my two XD-40’s. We got so good at hitting the rotors we put clay in the center tried to see who could shoot the clay out without making the rotor move.

Later
mcb

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
Dude!?!?!?!
where's the invite for us to come over and shoot at your place? :p

·
Banned
3,861 Posts
I can go to the Dollar Store and spend a couple of bucks on cheap paper plates and a can of spray paint and shoot for a long time.

But I dang sure can't shoot like mcb can! He's got the pro shootin' gallery.

nice.

bd

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Thanks for all the compliments guys. The land is the farm that my grandfather grew up on and my dad now owns. My uncle owns two of the neighboring farms that border ours. We have about 360 acres all together.

The range started out as a pair of old 55 Gallon drums. We turned one on it side to sit on and use the other one as a rest. Basically it got used early each fall to sight in our slug guns and muzzle loader for deer season. At that time we could shoot about 50 yards. It then slowly started growing. We trimmed and removed a few trees to extend a lane out to 100 yards. Dad built the patterning board you see in the picture below the two furthest brake rotors. I made the steel targets and the stands to put them on and this past fall dad built a beautiful pair of shooting benches.

That’s dad and his benches. He made one for righties and one for lefties. My brother and mom are both lefties. Its been a lot of fun setting up and even more fun shooting on. Couple more weeks and we will be sighting in for deer season.

Later
mcb

·
Registered
82 Posts
I bought a 1000 foot roll of butchers paper online, about 36.00 delivered. I then made full and half size IDPA silhouette patterns out of cardboard and traced them onto the butchers paper. The patterns also have the -0 zone cut out and I use a Sharpie to draw the circle. They are then cut out. I can make about 400 full size silhouettes out of one roll. The butchers paper is tougher than standard target paper and works great.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Grandpa has a few old disc harrow blades hanging up but they don't take too much to punch a hole through. Most farmers around here will just give them to you if they have any. They make a pretty good bong when you hit them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i'll take 12 pack cartons from beer or pop, and mount them on a wooden stake. i usually take an 8.5 X 11 laser print of a target and tape them to the box. this is handy for out back of my house, i can take a bunch of sheets of targets out with some tape, and shoot a carton full of holes before it is so tore up i need to replace it.

i gotta get those metal targets - that looks great.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey guys, new to the forum. I did some fun shooting today on my land. Basically, small ziplock bags, 7 with water/flour, 3 with water and a little cayenne pepper. The red bags are the bad guys; until they're gone of course. Then it's time to send some flour into the air.

Attachments

·
Registered
331 Posts
Since the thread has been bumped, I'll throw in my two cents: paper plates. That's the best target for your money. It may seem boring, but it teaches center of mass aiming and keeps shooters from being distracted by the antiquated bullseye targets that most stores sell. Plus they're dirt cheap.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I bought a 1000 foot roll of butchers paper online, about 36.00 delivered. I then made full and half size IDPA silhouette patterns out of cardboard and traced them onto the butchers paper. The patterns also have the -0 zone cut out and I use a Sharpie to draw the circle. They are then cut out. I can make about 400 full size silhouettes out of one roll. The butchers paper is tougher than standard target paper and works great.
I use this same idea. I have a roll of freezer paper on a wire and I pull down a 3ft piece and use a stencil cut out of bulls eye to paint on the section. Pull down another section, paint and shoot again. Super cheap set up.
I also use scrap wood suspended by wire from pvc pipe. Hit the wood targets and no doubt you hit as they move around.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
Thanks for bumping this topic. It's a good one!

I've gone to the discount grocery store and bought cases of pop for like a buck: 12 reactive targets for a dollar--that's better than tannerite.

Also you can print your own targets at FREE TARGETS from TARGETZ.com

They have a bunch of different games and such to help you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts