Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess the first thing I'd like to hear is some personal feedback about which broadhead(s) you prefer and why.
Any tips on the side about bowhunting/archery would also be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
If you're thinking about getting into bowhunting, I would strongly advise you to find someone you know who alreay does it, shoot their bow a bit, and decide what you need.

Broadheads dont matter. Any broadhead these days will take down a deer. People will tell you to spend $40 on Rage brand mechanicals "because they have a huge cutting diameter which means a faster death..."

In reality:
If you cant shoot the deer in the vitals, it doesnt matter what you use....it WONT die...
If you can hit the vitals, it doesnt matter what you use....it WILL die...

I killed my doe this year at 50 yards with a $16/3 pack of fixed broadheads. Double lung, straigh pass through. She ran 40 yards through the field, stopped, laid down and died. Its a battle with accuracy.

Personally, I really enjoy target archery to begin with. I bought a Reflex Charger last January that Cabelas had lost in inventory for like 2 years for an awesome discount (decided to get rid of my dinosaur '80s Hoyt) and I hit the range once a week. 60 lbs pull, 60% let off, and I can rub 3 arrows in the 10 ring at 30 yards, and I'm paper plate accurate at 80 yds with a 3 shot group (i'd never shoot at a deer at that range, but it's nice to know I could...just in case the Thirty Pointer stepped out there...;)). I was in a league with guys shooting brand new Bowtechs, Matthews, and Hoyts all tricked out and was competing with most, blowing some away. Just practice out the a** and you'll be fine. The equiptment doesnt make the archer.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
. Just practice out the a** and you'll be fine. The equiptment doesnt make the archer.
Nice bow work Cop! It is refreshing to hear/read that last sentence being a new archer in the drowning pool of available equipment coupled with all the usual clever marketing.
Do you feel the same about new bow models and new arrow technologies?

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Nice bow work Cop! It is refreshing to hear/read that last sentence being a new archer in the drowning pool of available equipment coupled with all the usual clever marketing.
Do you feel the same about new bow models and new arrow technologies?
It's a toss up. You're going to have better accuracy with a newer bow and newer arrows. I'm much more accurate with this new bow than I was with my old one. But on the same note, I got to be paper plate accurate at 40 yards with my old bow....so really it's not a bad idea to start out with a bargain bow to get into it. Dont expect pinpoint accuracy, but it'll be more than enough to kill a deer out to 30 yards or 40 yards comfortably (again...if you practice enough and get the shooting form down from the beginning).

I bought my gf a bow for her birthday in august (cheap little Parker Sidekick) and its a great little shooter. It doesnt have all the frills of the high end bows, but it was 1/3 the price, and I've split an arrow with it at 20 yds.

Arrows are a different story. I really prefer the higher end arrows. I buy Carbon Express Mayhems (their 2nd tier product [Maxima = 1st, and i forget the 3rd]). I started out shooting aluminum arrows (avoid at all costs...too easy to bend and become useless), and i really believe in the carbon fiber wrapping. It seems to reduce arrow's flexing. When you shoot an arrow, it flexes in a waving pattern all the way from the tip to the nock as it flies. The carbon fiber wrapping seems to reduce this drastically (to me...just my opinion).

But like i said...starting out you'll do fine with cheap equiptment. A nice off-brand bow made by a major brand name manufacturer is a good choice. I know Hoyt, Matthews, and i believe Diamond (not sure?) all have base model bows they sell under a different brand name. Like i said mines a Hoyt knockoff called Reflex. I'd check out Bear archery too...they have good cheap base model bows. And usually in single cam (which is good for beginners because it will reduce the amount of weight you have to hold back while you aim [good to understand fundamentals before trying to pull back a 70 lb bow with dual cams....lol])

i'm subscribed to this thread so if you have any questions let me know. I'll help wherever i can because I'm self-taught, so I know how hard it is to get started with no clue what's going on. =)

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is cool, I am thankful to hear your experiences in archery. Here is my story, forgive the rambling:): I have to say that I did get a bow already but only a month ago, so I am still just beginning. I happened to get an incredible, desperate, firesale deal on an almost new Bowtech Assassin, had to take the deal and decided to "try something new" and give up on wanting other things that I was thinking of. Meanwhile, my opinion has changed about hunting as I have grown alot in the last years that I have lived here, in New Mexico. Thusly, I was wondering about arrows and broadheads, as I have realized that I have been ignorant and hypocritical eating meat and "not liking" hunting. Admittedly, I am still not a fan of trophy killing from hundreds of yards away but I am not judging anyone. I am, however, growing ever increasingly interested in the ancient sport of archery and walking in the footsteps of early man by hunting food for my family. In fact, I will say that shooting the bow is not only MUCH MORE exercise than what I had imagined but also, is even more fun and (obviously?) more engaging than shooting a gun for me. I am really loving it so far! (except the contusion on my forearm from stringslap but I learned my lesson :))

Anyway, since then my daughter has also taken an interest and gone to a couple J.O.A.D. classes. I have been impressed with her immed ability given zero experience. She is going to be 7 in a couple months and has left eye/right hand, cross dominance. One of her instructors said that her eye dominance could change, which means, if I buy her a lefty bow (which is what she is shooting comfortably at her courses) it would be useless if her eye dominance changed.Do you have any thoughts on that? Have you heard of someone's (kid or adult) eye dominance changing?

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
That is cool, I am thankful to hear your experiences in archery. Here is my story, forgive the rambling:): I have to say that I did get a bow already but only a month ago, so I am still just beginning. I happened to get an incredible, desperate, firesale deal on an almost new Bowtech Assassin, had to take the deal and decided to "try something new" and give up on wanting other things that I was thinking of. Meanwhile, my opinion has changed about hunting as I have grown alot in the last years that I have lived here, in New Mexico. Thusly, I was wondering about arrows and broadheads, as I have realized that I have been ignorant and hypocritical eating meat and "not liking" hunting. Admittedly, I am still not a fan of trophy killing from hundreds of yards away but I am not judging anyone. I am, however, growing ever increasingly interested in the ancient sport of archery and walking in the footsteps of early man by hunting food for my family. In fact, I will say that shooting the bow is not only MUCH MORE exercise than what I had imagined but also, is even more fun and (obviously?) more engaging than shooting a gun for me. I am really loving it so far! (except the contusion on my forearm from stringslap but I learned my lesson :))

Anyway, since then my daughter has also taken an interest and gone to a couple J.O.A.D. classes. I have been impressed with her immed ability given zero experience. She is going to be 7 in a couple months and has left eye/right hand, cross dominance. One of her instructors said that her eye dominance could change, which means, if I buy her a lefty bow (which is what she is shooting comfortably at her courses) it would be useless if her eye dominance changed.Do you have any thoughts on that? Have you heard of someone's (kid or adult) eye dominance changing?
Good to hear you got a good deal on a VERY nice bow. :D Also good to hear you've crossed over to the sensible side of understanding where meat comes from. It doesn't grow up inside that little tube of ground beef. Haha. (Something you'll find on a sidenote, is that shooting your own food is MUCH cheaper than buying it. Even if you have it processed. [unless you count the price of the bow, arrows, camo, and everything else you need...which I don't because thats the cost of my hobby, not my food]) I fed myself all through this school year on the venison from my doe, and my buddies buck I paid to have processed. Its good to hear that people who have no hunting background can grow an interest and flourish. I agree with archery being a much more personal hunt than any other. You can spend hours watching the same deer in a field that JUST wont come into range. I spent the better part of October and early November watching the doe i eventually shot this year. Every time she would come into 60 yards, never an inch more. She was chased out of the field 3 times by coyotes. It was really awesome watching the dynamics of nature. To move into a more natural field, once I graduate and get a job (and have some real income...;)) I'm planning on buying a recurve bow and starting to hone my skills with that.

In your daughters case, I've actually never heard of anyone's dominant eye changing. Personally I'm heavily right eye dominant, and left handed (with some things...depends on the task. Hit a baseball right handed, catch it left handed, write left handed, etc...). I shoot right handed obviously and have never had any problems with my dominance changing. I would definitely listen to the instructor just in case. Also do some research on your own. Find out if anyone else on the forum has heard of dominances changing without any outside influences. I'm not so knowledgable in the world of human development. Hahaha...

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In my daughter's case, it cost as much for a year of archery classes, as it would to get her a decent bow: $175.00. So, I think I might just get her a bow and if her eye dominance changes, then we will still have a bow to sell.
Also, the instructors want her to shoot split finger and she feels more comfortable with three under. We'll see, I am still thinking it over...

Me, I may be one of a few that has changed perspectives successfully on hunting but I imagine there are many that entertain the thought of coming to grips with harvesting your own animal... only to be led away by emotion and learned detachment from our ancestors. It is sad to not know how to be wrong and change. I am thankful to have realized that I was allowing the modern world to make me forget what being a man is. I know that sounds crazy but it is exactly that. Men can hunt for food, that is what we are: HUNTER/GATHERERS.

Not shoppers.:p

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What have you learned about fletching, does it matter at 40yds? In high wind, one more helical is better?

·
Registered
566 Posts
I missed an 8 point last season. 30 yards, broad side. No excuses, I just missed. Sucked!

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
In my daughter's case, it cost as much for a year of archery classes, as it would to get her a decent bow: $175.00. So, I think I might just get her a bow and if her eye dominance changes, then we will still have a bow to sell.
Also, the instructors want her to shoot split finger and she feels more comfortable with three under. We'll see, I am still thinking it over...

Me, I may be one of a few that has changed perspectives successfully on hunting but I imagine there are many that entertain the thought of coming to grips with harvesting your own animal... only to be led away by emotion and learned detachment from our ancestors. It is sad to not know how to be wrong and change. I am thankful to have realized that I was allowing the modern world to make me forget what being a man is. I know that sounds crazy but it is exactly that. Men can hunt for food, that is what we are: HUNTER/GATHERERS.

Not shoppers.:p

That sounds like the best option for your daughter. Smart move. I cant really speak to the releae technique...when i started i had a little 3-finger glove...one on top, two under. Eventually for accuracy's sake i moved on to a mechanical release. It's all preference and how well you can handle each technique.

And I agree whole-heartedly with you. If you can't bring yourself to look an animal in the eye, and then end it's life, you dont deserve to use it to nourish yourself.

What have you learned about fletching, does it matter at 40yds? In high wind, one more helical is better?
I really dont know about that. I shoot arrows with 3 blazer vanes (smaller, synthetic vanes that are supposed to reduce the drag of a crosswind on an arrow while still maintaining arrow spin compared to a regular vane)....I really have no clue if they work. HAHA...I've probably been hoodwinked by business strategy and whatnot. At 40 yards I really doubt with your bow if it will matter or not. The IBO on that bow is like 330 fps isnt it? You should only have about a foot of arrow drop at 40 yards. That things gonna be a beast.

I missed an 8 point last season. 30 yards, broad side. No excuses, I just missed. Sucked!
Range estimation has never been my strong suit. It took two misses this past season on two consecutive weekends to convince me to buy a rangefinder. Best investment I've ever made. :D Ranged the 3rd and final shot and 51 yards, and dropped her in he field.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The best advice I have for broad heads is find some that fit your price range and also find some that fly just like your field points. Practice shooting because if you cannot hit what you are aiming for it doesn't matter what type you have. Talk to people who already bow hunt which will help answer alot of questions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts