Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at the SKS for a while now. I've shot one, liked it and my son just bought one with the mag. conversion that he hated. He un-converted it.

I own the very cost effective... YIKES!!!... Hi Point 995TS. I know, I know, but it was cheap and it's a blast to shoot and probably the best product to come out of Beemiller.

I'm thinking about an AK and I'm beginning my search here, where I know there is a goldmine of experience and a million opinions. So, my question is, is there one model/manufacturer preferred over another, like the SKS? I'd like a traditional issue, rather than a sporterized version. Anything I should watch out for or things that are "no go's" when shopping?

Thanks for anything y'all can help me with.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Arsenal Saiga conversion. Find one locally, or get one shipped to your FFL.

K-Var Corp. ™

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I've got an original Russian that I'm thinking about putting a undersized scope on to look over the crappy iron sights. Otherwise super happy with the SKS for a pig gun.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I belive that the Russian Izmash produced rifles are still prefered over other manufacturers. Unfortunately, the US makes them send these guns over spoterized, which you mentioned that you did not want. As an aside, I completed my conversion several months ago, and enjoyed doing the work myself as time/ money allowed.

So you can buy that has already been converted by Arsenal, Red Jacket or the like. They are more expensive, talking AR kind of money, but are generally liked by thier owners.

Other than Saiga Aks, most that I see are Century Arms. With the Majority of them being Romanian in origin. I have owned to such rifles, and while nothing to brag about, both worked flawlessy. The standard issue advice to anyone interested in century arms AKs is to check for sight cant, and mag wobble. I plan on buying about three more AKs, and am leaning heavily towards these Century Rifles. I plan on adding Tapco triggers and quad raile forends to them just enhance user friendliness. Wasr 10 rifles can usually be had for anywhere between $550-$750 depending on locale.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
I've got an original Russian that I'm thinking about putting a undersized scope on to look over the crappy iron sights. Otherwise super happy with the SKS for a pig gun.
No you don't. You have a Saiga...there is a difference! And there are laws...I have an original 1960 Russian...parts kit.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
I belive that the Russian Izmash produced rifles are still prefered over other manufacturers. Unfortunately, the US makes them send these guns over spoterized, which you mentioned that you did not want. As an aside, I completed my conversion several months ago, and enjoyed doing the work myself as time/ money allowed.

So you can buy that has already been converted by Arsenal, Red Jacket or the like. They are more expensive, talking AR kind of money, but are generally liked by thier owners.

Other than Saiga Aks, most that I see are Century Arms. With the Majority of them being Romanian in origin. I have owned to such rifles, and while nothing to brag about, both worked flawlessy. The standard issue advice to anyone interested in century arms AKs is to check for sight cant, and mag wobble. I plan on buying about three more AKs, and am leaning heavily towards these Century Rifles. I plan on adding Tapco triggers and quad raile forends to them just enhance user friendliness. Wasr 10 rifles can usually be had for anywhere between $550-$750 depending on locale.
Some WaSRs come with Crapco triggers. Besides that, even if it comes with standard Century triggers, they aren't bad with a little work.

Buy what you can afford. CAI will make good on warranty claims, and the best AK to buy is one you check out in person. I'm partial to Bulgarian AKs. I have quite a few and my favs are the ones I built vs Arsenal. You will pay a premium for a name and the quality just isn't there to justify the price. An alternative to the AK, the Vz 58. Really good quality, excellent shooter...its what the AK should have evolved in to. Bad part is the price of accessories.

Also.....from the best in the industry.... Welcome to Krebs Custom - The Ultimate Expression of System Kalashnikov

·
Registered
129 Posts
I always check several commercial companies like K-VAR, JG Sales, Atlantic Firearms for price variations, then I go to gunbroker.com to see if I can find any deals. Usually I see a few for as much as $200 the commercial price for NIB's even. I got my AKMS for $150 lower than what Century's MSRP is for it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all. I'll start with this and report back, with pix, if I "pull the trigger".

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
avoid anything with the word "Hesse" or "Vulcan" anywhere near it. They did not properly heat-treat their receivers.

Also avoid "screw builds" (where screws are used instead of rivets).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts