Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well.. my lower is built. Stag lower with dpms parts kit and a dpms pardus stock.

I have made two choices for a upper.

First being this one

Del-Ton 16" M4 Chrome Lined Barrel Assembly with Daniel Defense Free Float Tube

16" carbine length M4 barrel assembly

Includes
chrome lined M4 5.56mm barrel
T-marked flat top upper
bolt and carrier assembly
charging handle
A2 flash hider
Daniel Defense 4 Rail Free Float tube

which is going for 595

Stag Arms

5.56 Nato Chamber
Forged and Mil Spec.
A.R.M.S. 40L/Front Post
16" Chrome Lined 1/9 Twist
Samson Star C Quad Rail

for 695

However i really think the del-ton with the daniel defense rails is a good deal. What is everyones opinion on that?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Personally, I'd go for the Stag. It comes w/ back up irons, and every Stag piece i've seen has been excellent quality.

BTW, The ARMS 40L is worth $125 alone....

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
I would also go with the Stag. I'm one of those nerds that like my upper and lower to match.

·
Registered
902 Posts
What type of use do you want it for?

FWIW - I'd only use a barrel with 'M4' profile as a last resort for a variety of well-discussed reasons such as the extra metal being in the wrong place, harmonics, etc.

Hbars are heavy but accurate, strong, and take a while to start 'stringing' when getting hot. A fluted Hbar can be much lighter (up to 1/2 lb or more depending on bbl length) and also cools nicely with the extra surface area, some argue that fluted is also stiffer but I don't buy that particular argument.

If my only options were M4 profile vs lightweight, I'd pick the ltwt with correct rifling ratio for given purpose and try not to do many mag dumps back-to-back.

Gonna mount an M203? Get M4 profile... Bayonets won't mount on a 16" M4 profile, and a 'proper' 14.5" M4 profile must have a permanently attached Phantom or Vortex to get barrel length over 16" onless you want an SBR as the A2 FH is too short.

Chrome-lined is good ;)

I've seen & shot some decent M4-profile setups, but they weren't good enough to get my coin. For SHTF any profile will work with the right load.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Tough call. That Del Ton upper comes with the Daniel Defense free float rail, which is supposed to be a very nice system. If the barrels are the same quality I'd go with the Del Ton. That's a big "if" that I can't help you with though...

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Between only those two options...the Stag may take a slight advantage. You are getting a proven upper that will be an excellent quality piece (no offense to the Del-ton stuff which is fine...but just not a Stag). You get a "matching" upper for your lower. You are getting a $120 (from most sources that have them in stock) BUIS making your rifle ready to fire as soon as you slap the upper on your lower.

The only issue that gives me pause on saying get the Stag is the Daniel Defense railed HG. I have the DD stuff on a couple of my rifles and they make some of the finest kit for AR rifles in the world. It is extremely well-built, durable, and mounts like a rock to the rifle meaning you can reliably mount optics, sights, etc. on the handguard rails without worrying about stress on the HG causing a shift in your POI or otherwise disturbing your zero on optics. I don't have much experience with the Samson stuff, but the DD stuff is proven gear.

You can always buy an ARMS 40L for $120 new or less than $100 used, and throw it on when the Del-ton upper arrives at your doorstep. Either way, I think you are getting a really nice upper. It all comes down, as I see it, to whether you want the DD or the Samson.

·
Premium Member
9,363 Posts
id go with the delton upper. Many people here have del-ton uppers (including me) with no problems. Cant go wrong with a Daniel Defense rail system and its $100 cheaper. But I see a flip up rear sight on the Stag?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That kit is nice! however i already have a dpms pardus stock

i like the daniel defense rails however. It is mostly gonna be a plinking gun... something i keep at home. IF i get some kinda optics is there a need for me to rush for a flip up for the back? Or can i always do that later.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have a DMPS with a Del-Ton upper with a YHM four rail free float hand guard , and after 600+ rounds I can't complain about the reliability or construction about the Del-Ton upper. I really like the DD rails, but just didn't have the cash, so I went with the YHM instead, but I definately don't think you'll regret going with Del-Ton. Call both and see how long each would take to ship to you too.....

·
Registered
753 Posts
RGuns.net
I ordered this last Monday and got it Wednesday. $500 for a DPMS flat top upper with quad rail and BCG and charging handle. I put this on a RRA lower and the fit is perfect.

Took it out yesterday and aside from having a primer come out of a round and get in the trigger group it ran flawlessly, and was very accurate.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Well.. my lower is built. Stag lower with dpms parts kit and a dpms pardus stock.

I have made two choices for a upper.

Stag Arms

5.56 Nato Chamber
Forged and Mil Spec.
A.R.M.S. 40L/Front Post
16" Chrome Lined 1/9 Twist
Samson Star C Quad Rail

for 695

However i really think the del-ton with the daniel defense rails is a good deal. What is everyones opinion on that?

FWIW this is a STAG 2HT I have the exact same upper on mine and you can get it for pretty close to the same delivered price as the DelTon upper. (Del Ton will have probably a $20-$30 S&H&I charge. Samson Rails are not cheap by any means either and they are exactly color matched to the upper receiver where as the DTI is just adding on a set of DD rails to thier Upper (which is if im not mistaken a DPMS upper)

basically strip everything out of the price of the uppers. and see what your paying for what you get

STAG 2H is $489.00 and includes MI sights and no rails. other than that its the same upper.

Samson Rails are $255

the Arms 40L is about $125 but isn't an actual reflection as your not going to get both the MI and the Arms, so find the cheapest place to get the MI and subtract the difference say maybe $40

its all up to you on what you want if you want the name Daniel defense on your rails then by all means go for the DTI upper after all your the one who has to live with it not us.

AR15sales.com has them for $649.00 delivered

Order Stag Arms Products Online!

STAG makes Good Quality Gear you won't be disappointed with the STAG 2HT the only real advantage to the Del Ton is the DD rails are a little thinner and lighter. ive got pretty big meat hooks so i like a little bulkier Rail anyhow.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Hmmm... I'm on a mid-length kick, so I really don't have an opinion on your upper choices.

However, I am curious to hear what you think of the DPMS Pardus stock you have. I was very close to purchasing the Pardus stock for my build, but at the last minute spent a little more for the standard 6 pos M4-type stock.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmmm... I'm on a mid-length kick, so I really don't have an opinion on your upper choices.

However, I am curious to hear what you think of the DPMS Pardus stock you have. I was very close to purchasing the Pardus stock for my build, but at the last minute spent a little more for the standard 6 pos M4-type stock.
Its actually very good quality. I Went ahead and purchased it from midway or cheaper i forget when it was about 47.99. Came in packaged well.. i gotta start breaking the tube in however as its still hard to pull it back and forth.

I think ima go wit the stag2ht! Thanks for the comments TJ i thnk a rail that is more bulkier is to my liking, since ima big guy. And you cant beat that 650 price.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So all in all SAMSON rails are very compareable to daniel defense

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
I personally like the samson rail better due to the top rail height matching the upper reciever rail better.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts