Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned many hand guns in the past 30 years but never a AR. I am thinking about buying one. My local dealer has 2 lightly used AR's and if anyone has any imput on them it would be helpful. First is a DPMS PANTHER AP4 CARBINE 5.56/223 CAL. Comes with 2 factory 30 round mags and a hard case. The second one is a BUSHMASTER M4A3 IZZY CARBINE 5.56/223CAL. With 2 factory 30 round mags and just the box it came in. Both are in excellent shape and shows hardly any use. The price on either one is 750.00. This will be a totally new kind of gun for me. I will have to learn everything about a AR. Thanks in advance guys. JR

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have heard good things about both from other forums though I have no experience with either.

I use the Del-ton kit, For about the same price you can pick-up a Del-ton kit AR-15. It comes with everything included minus a stripped lower half that when ordered will still be about the same price.
Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 Rifle Kits - 16"

I believe the kit runs about 465-485 plus the price of a lower about 120. It took me about 45 minutes to put my first one together and less time now.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Owned a DPMS and it was fine- no problems. The one thing is that you will have to clean the AR constantly! Really becomes a pain! Finally got rid of AR and purchased mini 14 in 223/5.56 cal. This system is alot easier to clean and seems never to have problems like AR can have if not kept clean and oiled properly. Not knocking AR platform-used it for 20 years in military but take a look at ruger mini 14.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Owned a DPMS and it was fine- no problems. The one thing is that you will have to clean the AR constantly! Really becomes a pain! Finally got rid of AR and purchased mini 14 in 223/5.56 cal. This system is alot easier to clean and seems never to have problems like AR can have if not kept clean and oiled properly. Not knocking AR platform-used it for 20 years in military but take a look at ruger mini 14.
The whole "clean it constantly or else" thing is a myth well proven by many people.

Look up BCM's filthy 14 for a well known example.

Just lube it and it will run, clean when you feel like it.

Ps thanx for your service.

Android + Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
OP $750 for a used DPMS or Bushmaster AR is too much in today's market.
This^^^
I can go locally buy a brand new AR built on a Stag lower, decent upper, good internals and Magpul Moe furniture for $800.

Nothing wrong with the two ARs Make/Model, not top shelf, but good range/hunting toys.
I'd offer $500. cash out the door, and let the haggling begin.

I've gotten lazy a few times and made several trips to the range without cleaning my AR, dirty little slut of a carbine kept taking all I could give'er.
Secret? Get'em wet, keep'em wet and put'em up wet!

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Or you can buy a new Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport for $600. It is, IMO, a better AR than either of the two used ARs you mentioned. Check out the specs on it.
For the price that you mentioned being used...I would go with this ^^^ recomendation...:)

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
I agree as well that $750 is too much for those brands used. Check out the SW M&P or a Bravo Company or Spike's Tactical.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts