Springfield XD Forum banner

I wonder why?

1K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  InspectorNugger 
#1 ·
Not trying to be a troll here. I do have to wonder after reading the posts here, what is up with the XD and the cracked blocks, rust and broke roll pins.

I have a bi-tone service 9mm and a SC9mm. I haven't had any problems out of either after SEVERAL rds. In fact the black SC 9mm is my next to favorite pistol of all that I own, my Glock 29 is my all time favorite.

Anyway, whats up? Am I just lucky by having no problems with my XD's or what? I really like my XD's , enjoy shooting them, and like the design. Damn, I hope I don't jinx myself by this post!

#2 ·
I don't think you're lucky, at least with respect to your XD experience. You should expect a lot of negative reports on a forum for a specific product. It's like the forums on edmunds.com. You can look there and see numerous complaints on a vehicle that you've owned & experienced 0 problems - e.g., I see stuff there on my honda and I've never had an issue.

There have been several polls that support the fact the XD is generally a high quality, good value firearm. Hopefully manufacturers look at forums like this to see areas where further improvements can be made though.

BTW - my XDSC is one of my favorites. I've never had rust, FTF, FTE, cracks, or any other issues with it. I've been very satisfied with the gun.

#3 ·
pretty much, I would expect to hear about problems about EVERY product. These just happen to be teh ones that teh XD has. I am sure GLOCK and S&W products all have problems too.

#4 ·
I think alot of it was to do with the fact that most of the time you only hear from the people with problems, or at least those are the posts that get the most responses. I know that there are guns out there with problems, but this is true for all gun makers. I think if someone wanted to go back through all the posts on this board and add up the good vs the bad, I'm sure you would find that there have been far more positive posts then negitive, it's just everyone likes to complain.
I have four XDs and never had a problem with any of them that was the fault of the gun, they all worked out of the box, but I like to tinker and sometimes that has lead to problems, but that was my fault.

#5 ·
from a former engineer...

No, and I mean NO product is perfect the first time out. Especially when you're dealing with a system that contains and controls explosions, you're going to have some latent "bugs" that will take time to surface. The fact that they've changed the locking block design just shows me that it's a company that cares about its product, and wants to change the issues that need improvement, particularly when it comes to safety.

I haven't had any problems with mine at all, and most haven't. There are issues that these weapons are prone to experience, but not every single one will. If you have had no issues then count yourself among the common, buy some ammo, load up and blast away!

#6 ·
40SWXDSHOOTER said:
I think alot of it was to do with the fact that most of the time you only hear from the people with problems, or at least those are the posts that get the most responses. I know that there are guns out there with problems, but this is true for all gun makers. I think if someone wanted to go back through all the posts on this board and add up the good vs the bad, I'm sure you would find that there have been far more positive posts then negitive, it's just everyone likes to complain.
I have four XDs and never had a problem with any of them that was the fault of the gun, they all worked out of the box, but I like to tinker and sometimes that has lead to problems, but that was my fault.
x2

I have 3 xd's and none of them have had any issue other than the thin finish but still no rust. And I am very ruff on mine due to wearing it, in and out of holster, going off on weekend shoots and putting over 1000rounds through it before cleaning it. I do however treat them very well afterwards

#7 ·
I think its that the few peopel that have "issues" with theri XDs are the most vocal, therefore, it gives one the impression that problems are commonplace, when they're actually very few and far between.

Listen, I live in hot and hellishly humid Houston, TX - where our weather beats the daylights out of anything that is not made of concrete or stone and I have not seen any rust on my XD-40 after over a year of carry. I carry my XD-40 open-style on the family ranch - riding a motorcycle/ATV or on the tractor or working in the pastures doing everything from chainsawing dead trees to feeding cattle and meding fences, where its hot and sweaty and very dusty and gritty and still...no rust.

I have also ran almost a thousand rounds through this thing and not cleaning it very otfen and not ONE failure of any kind. I had to draw it quickly on time, while on the tractor, pushing over a dead tree and shoot a skunk and the XD was covered in sandy gritty dust and though dirt flew everywhere, the pistol did not jam.

I actually think the Xd is VERY durable and reliable and that it why it appeals to me. I have had much more prestigeous pistols (like Colts) that were more of a pain than this XD-40.

Everyone's expereince is different, though.

- Brickboy240

#8 ·
If you really think about it, the subject is like the bird flu. Yeah, it happens, but how many people in the world are infected? only a handful of cases

#9 ·
I'm not sure if the bird flu analogy works.. but the point is valid... kind of...

Bill Press was just on FoX News.. and finally said something that made some sense, and is kind of pertinent....

"Reporters don't report about planes that don't crash."

Raymond

#11 ·
After reading numerous posts here right after I bought my XD last year, I began freaking out a little and having a case of Buyer's Remorse. I thought "did I just buy a piece of junk" and other similar thoughts, as it appeared I wasn't reading a lot of positive comments. What drove me to buy the XD was glowing comments from local ranges who had XD's as rental guns. None of the places had any issues with XD's after thousands of rounds, and most of these rental guns rarely got cleaned. I fired XD's on several occassions prior to buying and nothing seemed to fit me or my shooting style like the XD, so I felt confident buying. Then I started reading the posts here. After a year of ownership and lots of rounds down range, I can say strongly that I am very happy with my purchase. I have very high regard for XD's and I believe most of the problems talked about, especially rust, can be avoided by good gun maintenance (not a dig at anyone...I just have never had a rust problem cleaning and oiling after every session). As has been mentioned in previous posts, it's hard for 100% of the customers of any product to be 100% satisfied or not have some type of problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.