Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry guys, originally posted this under the wrong place...

Hey again guys! Just wanted to stop back by and say that I was one of them guys that had a thread going telling you all that my XDm .40 was jacked up and not shooting straight. It was shooting straight, but WAY low...I swore it was the gun and would have bet anything on it...until I posted on here and got a LOT of feedback. I was going to send it back to SA but not wanting to send it away I went back to the range, took around 300 rounds with me and spent the day "getting to know" my XDm a little better than I thought I did. :grin: By the time I left the range, I have to tell you that this factory trigger just plain SUCKS :evil:, trigger job is in order...getting to that...but as you all said, it was me and not my gun. I have never had this problem with any other pistol I have shot, but it is what it is and I still love my XDm...even more now that I got it figured out! Thanks to everyone that "pushed" me into reconsidering that it was me and not the gun!

Now, my question is this...there are a lot of threads on here about trigger kits. I am wondering what makes one better than the other and which one I should get and if the install is easy enough that I could do it myself. I don't know enough about them to really know the difference in this one or that and not sure which one I would like. I do know that I want a much shorter pull, shorter reset and a lighter pull to about 4 pounds or so. I have never "worked" on any of my guns and don't really know a lot about the workings of them...enough to get by but not enough to say I know what I'm doing.

Thanks for the input everyone!

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
what do you not like about the trigger?

I see people complain about it. I like mine well enough. what's wrong with it?

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I here people also complain about the XD trigger; mushy, long reset, but I find it better than a stock Glock. Shoot it for 1000rds befroe doing any trigger work.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I here people also complain about the XD trigger; mushy, long reset, but I find it better than a stock Glock. Shoot it for 1000rds befroe doing any trigger work.
I second this post! My XD and my son's, trigger pulls have improved greatly with use. Shoot at least 1000 before you consider a trigger job.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
I did a mag of "rapid fire" last time out.

I get the mushy feel in that situation. single slow shots though it feels nice to me. I was kind of digging the squishy-ness during the rapid fire. it was like a squirt gun in that when I was pulling the trigger it didn't feel like it was clicking back into place like some I have fired. I think I may have been pulling too hard on it for lack of feel.

less than 150 rounds though mine so far. I still need to get used to it but for what it is I dont see it as bad just not what I am used to.

thats why I asked what makes people not like it.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have fired well over 1000 rounds in it and just can't get used to it. Really don't like the long pretravel and rest on it...screws with me. I have for so many years shot with light, short and fast triggers that this one is messin' with me bad! :rolleyes: So much so that I was convinced it was the gun having a problem and not me. When I took it back out I caught myself several times jerking at the end of the trigger travel or tightening my grip anticipating the shot, it just does not go bang when I expect it to and screws with me...trigger job seems to be the simplest solution as well as keeping me consistant with all my other weapons...this one is the odd ball as far as the trigger goes.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I have fired well over 1000 rounds in it and just can't get used to it. Really don't like the long pretravel and rest on it...screws with me. I have for so many years shot with light, short and fast triggers that this one is messin' with me bad! :rolleyes: So much so that I was convinced it was the gun having a problem and not me. When I took it back out I caught myself several times jerking at the end of the trigger travel or tightening my grip anticipating the shot, it just does not go bang when I expect it to and screws with me...trigger job seems to be the simplest solution as well as keeping me consistant with all my other weapons...this one is the odd ball as far as the trigger goes.
That's an interesting thought. I don't know how long you have been shooting or what degree of proficiency you have, but I went from my 1911, about as good as a semiauot trigger gets, to the XDTAC in one session. It has more takeup & greater reset, but I find it breaks very clean & I can easily adjust to the other stuff. Now the Sig DA/SA, that one really messes me up.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's an interesting thought. I don't know how long you have been shooting or what degree of proficiency you have, but I went from my 1911, about as good as a semiauot trigger gets, to the XDTAC in one session. It has more takeup & greater reset, but I find it breaks very clean & I can easily adjust to the other stuff. Now the Sig DA/SA, that one really messes me up.
I have been shooting since I was a very young kid...somewhere around the 25-30 years. I have shot many guns with many triggers and actions and over the years have found that the shorter triggers just "work" better for me. I like them to go bang when I get on the trigger...exactly why your finger NEVER goes on the trigger until you are ready to destroy whatever is in the path of the bullet. Just my personal pref. I guess but I find the lighter and shorter they are I shoot better with them...:)

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
If you've been exclusively shooting 1911-type triggers, ANY other trigger will seem long and mushy. The XDs are better than most. I installed the PRP Ultimate trigger kit in my XD9SC and LOVED the improvment! Shorter overall travel, about 3.5# pull, and almost no over travel.

I agree with the other posters - put 500 rounds through the gun before changing things. Keep all the original parts in case you don't like the results.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have the Springer Precision (SP) trigger upgrade on my XDm .40S&W that I use for USPSA Limited competition shooting. I am no expert, but I believe it does help with what you described earlier as your concerns with the factory trigger. Shooter take up, shooter reset, 3.5# pull, etc... The trigger on my 40S&W handgun is different than my unchanged XDm 9mm factory trigger that has not been changed or touched in anyway.

For me, I would not want to 3.5# trigger for a self-defense firearm. I just think a heavier trigger is better in those situations (especially when
Adrenaline is flowing heavily through the body...).

There are other companies that I am aware of that also offer trigger upgrades like Canyon Creek and Powder River Precision. There cold also be other upgrades available from other suppliers. The links previoulsy provided are from the sponsors of this forum.

As stated above, I have only had the pleasure of trying the SP trigger upgrade myself, so I am not able to offer a comparison report of each. If it assists you, I believe there are videos available of all of these out on YouTube. SP also has videos on their web site available to you. There are a few other competitors in my pistol club with XDms and they also have the SP trigger installed in their Limited competition firearms.

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!
:cool:

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
I sold 4 XD pistols because I could not force myself to like that sloppy spongy trigger.
Even put a PRP kit in one of them, which did improve the trigger 110%.
But I still sold the pistol.

I'll take a shorter stock Glock trigger over an mushy XD/XDm trigger any day.
I guess it boils down to personal preference to the individual shooter.

There is no one size fits all when it comes to handguns..:D

·
Registered
827 Posts
I have been shooting since I was a very young kid...somewhere around the 25-30 years. I have shot many guns with many triggers and actions and over the years have found that the shorter triggers just "work" better for me. I like them to go bang when I get on the trigger...exactly why your finger NEVER goes on the trigger until you are ready to destroy whatever is in the path of the bullet. Just my personal pref. I guess but I find the lighter and shorter they are I shoot better with them...:)
I too have been shooting for a long time.
I usually can pick anything up, and it is on the bulls eye.
When the XDm 3.8 came out, I wanted one bad. I bought the XDm 3.8 in .40cal. Took it out to the range, and like you, I was not happy with the results.
I tried everything I could to get a tight group. I sent mine into Springer Precision for the combat/carry trigger job, and TFO sights.
I got it back, took it out the next day, and BULLS EYE! Right where it should be.
The springer trigger job sits back more closer to the frame than the powder river does, which I believe that helps also.
I have a friend that has the powder river trigger job, and we both like the springer trigger the best. Just our Personal opinions though.
Springer does Outstanding work. I Highly recommend him.
I also had him take out the lever or bar for the auto take down. So you have to pull the trigger like you would on the standard XD.
It will make a huge difference for you, and you will NOT be disappointed with trigger job. Best thing that ever happened was this trigger job.

Good luck with what ever you choose.

Stay Safe.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I have narrowed my search to either Springer or the PRP trigger kits...any input as to why I should choose one over the other??

Thanks for all the input!!

·
Registered
827 Posts
Google their videos and pay attention to trigger location after trigger job.
Springer sits back more to the rear of the frame more like glocks do, and the powder river is in between the stock position and Springers.

I chose Springer Precision and am Very happy with it. Others have chosen powder rivers and are very happy with them. It's all Personal preference. You decide.

Springers Trigger job:

Powder river:

It's ultimately up to you.

Stay Safe.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Google their videos and pay attention to trigger location after trigger job.
Springer sits back more to the rear of the frame more like glocks do, and the powder river is in between the stock position and Springers.

I chose Springer Precision and am Very happy with it. Others have chosen powder rivers and are very happy with them. It's all Personal preference. You decide.

Springers Trigger job:
YouTube - ‪Springfield Armory XD/XDM trigger jobs by Springer Precision‬‏

Powder river:
YouTube - ‪what is a PRP trigger job?‬‏

It's ultimately up to you.

Stay Safe.
Settled!! Springer it is :cool: looks like they have a much tighter trigger with the completed project!

·
Registered
827 Posts
Trust me, you WON'T regret it. ;)

Stay Safe.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Trust me, you WON'T regret it. ;)

Stay Safe.
Thanks for the videos! I will post back when I get it done and get to test it out! :D

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
when its said and done then tested I would like details on this.

ya know... just in case I start to feel like I need to do it too. lol

all this makes me think "yeah... it IS a mushy trigger..."

thanks for sowing the seeds of dissatisfaction. j/k lmao

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
when its said and done then tested I would like details on this.

ya know... just in case I start to feel like I need to do it too. lol

all this makes me think "yeah... it IS a mushy trigger..."

thanks for sowing the seeds of dissatisfaction. j/k lmao
LMAO, sorry man! I will be sending off my pistol probably Monday. Not sure how long it takes to get done, but I am sure I will be back to work by the time I get it back so I will have to wait until my next days off to test it out...work a 9 day shift and get 5 play days in between...I will post back with results and my thoughts when its completed and tested.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts