Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey again guys! Just wanted to stop back by and say that I was one of them guys that had a thread going telling you all that my XDm .40 was jacked up and not shooting straight. It was shooting straight, but WAY low...I swore it was the gun and would have bet anything on it...until I posted on here and got a LOT of feedback. I was going to send it back to SA but not wanting to send it away I went back to the range, took around 300 rounds with me and spent the day "getting to know" my XDm a little better than I thought I did. :D By the time I left the range, I have to tell you that this factory trigger just plain SUCKS :evil:, trigger job is in order...getting to that...but as you all said, it was me and not my gun. I have never had this problem with any other pistol I have shot, but it is what it is and I still love my XDm...even more now that I got it figured out! Thanks to everyone that "pushed" me into reconsidering that it was me and not the gun!

Now, my question is this...there are a lot of threads on here about trigger kits. I am wondering what makes one better than the other and which one I should get and if the install is easy enough that I could do it myself. I don't know enough about them to really know the difference in this one or that and not sure which one I would like. I do know that I want a much shorter pull, shorter reset and a lighter pull to about 4 pounds or so. I have never "worked" on any of my guns and don't really know a lot about the workings of them...enough to get by but not enough to say I know what I'm doing.

Thanks for the input everyone!

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
If you have 20 minutes to a hour (if you take it real slow) of patience and can master using a very fine file or some fine emory paper, either the Springer Precision or Powder River Precision trigger kits will work fine. Both get to the same end result, just use different pieces to get there.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I keep going back and forth about getting a trigger job for my XDm. If I do it I'll get the PRP kit. I don't trust myself to do it correctly without loosing my religion and blowing a gasket, so I would either send the gun to PRP, or have my local GS do the install for me. You're the only one that can decide if you can do the job yourself. I've watched the videos but I know that something inside of my pistol will look different than what I'm seeing in the pictures or video. I'm pretty sure I should leave the install to someone else. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
what do you not like about the trigger?

I see people complain about it. I like mine well enough. what's wrong with it?

·
Registered
345 Posts

The trigger, while smooth, has more pretravel than most are comfortable with. This causes alot of people to jerk the trigger at the end of the pull causing the shot to hit low and left if they are right handed. All it takes is a bit of practice and you can chew out the 10 ring as effectively as with any other gun.

Having said that, I still installed the PRP kit in my XDm and the trigger is now phenomenal. I wish it was as simple as a $20 trigger bar like with a Glock but considering how much more I like the XDm over the Glock, it's a small price to pay. XDm + trigger kit = perfect.:cool:

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
ok i wasnt sure what version of this same thread would get attention so i asked in both places lol

I see the mushy feeling when I rapid fire its almost like a squirt gun. slower shots I don't get it as much. I just attribute it to a lighter trigger than I'm used to.

I was just wondering because I have less than 150 through mine so I still need to get used to it.

I like how its different than everything else I have handled and fired. I dig the light trigger.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

mixednuts hit it exactly right, the pretravel on this trigger is extreamly long...IMO this is a poor design and a trigger kit is an easy fix for it. Again, JMO and would like a trigger that is more comfortable to ME...

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
mixednuts hit it exactly right, the pretravel on this trigger is extreamly long...IMO this is a poor design and a trigger kit is an easy fix for it. Again, JMO and would like a trigger that is more comfortable to ME...

I hear you man. I ain't arguing. if you think its that bad improve it. its yours you can touch it of you wanna. lol

for me, I just don't think its bad as much as something I have not had much experience with. most firearms I have used are stiff and I really had to "pull" to get them to break. now its like I barely have to try to get them to go and I don't feel the reset like I am used to. with it being so "light" I don't really predict recoil. I suppose that's a good thing.

I figure I will need to put rounds through it and train myself to the feel.

of course I may decide I need to improve it later but I am going to see what I can do with it before I monkey around with the mechanics.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hear you man. I ain't arguing. if you think its that bad improve it. its yours you can touch it of you wanna. lol
LMAO...it aint that bad!! :p

·
Registered
345 Posts
I don't think it is a poor design so much as an attempt by Springfield (or HSProdukt if you want to get picky) to make the gun a bit less likely to AD. The XD/m line is a single action gun, pulling the trigger does almost nothing to the striker. All it does is release the sear and the gun goes off. Thats also why the trigger breaks so far back compared to other guns. The M&P is pretty much the same way. Both break close to the rear of the frame. They were designed to work this way for a reason. You have to make a deliberate pull on the trigger for it to go off.

Imagine a new polymer pistol that is released to the market that is single action and has a trigger that was as short and light as a custom 1911 but without a thumb safety. Enthusiasts would call it the greatest thing since.....well since the 1911. Your average Joe, however, who considers firing 500 rounds through his gun a good year, would be woefully unprepared to handle such a gun and would most likely shot himself in the foot or heaven forbid the family dog. Why does any gun have a safety? If you keep your finger off the trigger at all times unless you are ready to shoot and never drop your gun you shouldn't need trigger/grip/thumb safeties or even a firing pin block for that matter. We have these things because the sad fact of the matter is people are stupid and despite it being a right in our wonderful country there are certain people who should probably never own a gun.......or have kids for that matter. Safeties and trigger design are influenced by a balance between performance and safeguarding some of the dullards that buy guns to avoid litigation.

Sorry for the rant, here's the TLDR version. The XD/m isn't released with something akin to the PRP/Springer kits because people would shoot themselves with them.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think it is a poor design so much as an attempt by Springfield (or HSProdukt if you want to get picky) to make the gun a bit less likely to AD. The XD/m line is a single action gun, pulling the trigger does almost nothing to the striker. All it does is release the sear and the gun goes off. Thats also why the trigger breaks so far back compared to other guns. The M&P is pretty much the same way. Both break close to the rear of the frame. They were designed to work this way for a reason. You have to make a deliberate pull on the trigger for it to go off.

Imagine a new polymer pistol that is released to the market that is single action and has a trigger that was as short and light as a custom 1911 but without a thumb safety. Enthusiasts would call it the greatest thing since.....well since the 1911. Your average Joe, however, who considers firing 500 rounds through his gun a good year, would be woefully unprepared to handle such a gun and would most likely shot himself in the foot or heaven forbid the family dog. Why does any gun have a safety? If you keep your finger off the trigger at all times unless you are ready to shoot and never drop your gun you shouldn't need trigger/grip/thumb safeties or even a firing pin block for that matter. We have these things because the sad fact of the matter is people are stupid and despite it being a right in our wonderful country there are certain people who should probably never own a gun.......or have kids for that matter. Safeties and trigger design are influenced by a balance between performance and safeguarding some of the dullards that buy guns to avoid litigation.

Sorry for the rant, here's the TLDR version. The XD/m isn't released with something akin to the PRP/Springer kits because people would shoot themselves with them.
LOL...gave me a bit of a laugh but in all seriousness, you make a good point. The average person making their first purchase of a weapon or a person with little or no experience with them could and do make sometimes tragic mistakes. Your point of not putting your finger on the trigger until your ready to destroy whatever is in the bullet path is one that I was taught from a very young age. The need for any safety device on a firearm should be, as you say, not necessary and the sad fact is, again as you say, is necessary.

Your point on the trigger break being so long is also well taken...for the new, novice shooter it is a good thing...just not what I like. I have had all my guns' triggers worked and am more than very acustomed to light and short triggers. The trigger on this XDm has me up in arms trying to work with it and am giving in to get it changed out.

No worries on the "Rant", you make a good point and is something that every gun owner should take into account...

·
Registered
93 Posts
mixednuts said:
. Your average Joe, however, who considers firing 500 rounds through his gun a good year,
I've had my gun for 3 weeks and it already has 500 rounds through it. I don't see how I could only do that once a year, it's so hard to put the gun down.

Then again, I only have to make a 100 yard walk out my back door to shoot, so that takes the having to drove to the range out of it.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've had my gun for 3 weeks and it already has 500 rounds through it. I don't see how I could only do that once a year, it's so hard to put the gun down.

Then again, I only have to make a 100 yard walk out my back door to shoot, so that takes the having to drove to the range out of it.
I have about a 15 minute drive to the desert where I shoot. But when I go, I go armed...lol...between my two 40's, my .44, and my AR I burn close to 500-700 rounds a trip. I try to get out at least once a week. Sounds like a lot of bullets but divided by 4 guns that I take out regularly it aint really much...would be more if I could keep up with my loading! lol :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
XDm_Shooter said:
I have about a 15 minute drive to the desert where I shoot. But when I go, I go armed...lol...between my two 40's, my .44, and my AR I burn close to 500-700 rounds a trip. I try to get out at least once a week. Sounds like a lot of bullets but divided by 4 guns that I take out regularly it aint really much...would be more if I could keep up with my loading! lol :D
Sadly I don't reload, my dad is going to start, he's redoing his house with my mom, as he convinced her to let him have a reloading room. I'm sure he'll let me use it when it ever gets done.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sadly I don't reload, my dad is going to start, he's redoing his house with my mom, as he convinced her to let him have a reloading room. I'm sure he'll let me use it when it ever gets done.
It saves money for sure if you shoot a lot. Not to mention its a great time killer and fun hobby.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Shooting more for a given cost is an efficient use of available resources...nothing wrong with that. As I posted somewhere else, that is the main benefit of 9mm over .40 or .45

·
Registered
117 Posts
Watch some of these videos and you'll learn about how the trigger and parts work together. You can even modify the trigger WITHOUT buying parts if you so desire.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Count me in with the WTF on 500 rounds a year. I got my XDm on May 14th and it's got almost 1100 rounds through it already. I'm going to the range again this weekend and will probably put through another couple hundred.

That's a measure of how thoroughly I'm addicted, even after such a short time of gun ownership. I'd go through major withdrawal if I only got 500 a year.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts