Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

If you have done any kind of Coating on your handgun frame or slide. Like Duracoat or Cerakote post it here to show it off. Specially if you have done "satin Mag" "stainless" "satin Aluminum" refinishing of your Barrel. Please note on the picture the type and name of the finish if you can, and what your experience has been with it.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I'll try to get mine on in a little bit... gotta find batteries for the camera... I've got mine Duracoated Wild Yellow... (its strictly a competition gun)

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts

Both done in Duracoat...the HS2000 looks a lot more shiney than it is due to oil on the slide.

I love the finishes and both are wearing quite well, especially the 1911...it gets a lot of holster time at the ranch!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
WWII OD green duracoat frame

Im thinking ether Dark Earth, or Light Tan for the slide...not sure yet

·
Registered
317 Posts
I did 5 of these resin hand guns in Duracote.

And my AR I also Duracoted.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
These are a few of my own guns that I refinished with MolyResin. I also did a few for other forum members and friends.

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts
That digi camo on the 1911 looks bitchin man, I like that A LOT!

-Derek
Thank you, I am very pleased with the way it turned out!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Ok...Dumb Question???...How is the Duracoat applied and why is it better than factory finish?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hard chromed slide

Dreydin,that is what I am talking about. This is exactly what I want my gun to look like. Where did you have it done? How long did it take? How long ago was it done? Give me details :)

BTW that is a very nice looking picture, great lighting and background. Hats off to your skills in taking a picture.

·
Premium Member
4,205 Posts
Dreydin,that is what I am talking about. This is exactly what I want my gun to look like. Where did you have it done? How long did it take? How long ago was it done? Give me details :)

BTW that is a very nice looking picture, great lighting and background. Hats off to your skills in taking a picture.
thanks for the comments man! i love my XD

i first had the slide hard chromed ($150) by Tripp Research, but i believe they dont offer the service anymore. they also installed ($20) my TruGlo TFO sights ($80) that i purchased from Gilbert's Gun Shop. Todd from Customized Creationz polished my barrel and guide rod ($50) and i just recently installed the safety lever and overtravel stop ($50) from Powder River Precision. it works good and all, but i dont know if i could recommend the last mod until i can resolve a FTF issue with them. ive had the XD for a little less than a year now and it was my first firearm :mrgreen: my only regret, which is slight, is that i wish i had gone 45 instead of 40. but i wanted a subcompact and the Block 30 is a nogo!

ps. click the link in my sig!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Another hard chrome...
Tripp's did mine but no longer does them.

http://customizedcreationz.com/
Does hard chrome..
OK...Stupid question but what is the difference between having the slide hard chromed as opposed to just purchasing the bi-tone. I recently purchase the all black xdm and would prefer a bi-tone but if the hard chrome process isn't as good(strong, scratch resistant, etc) then I'll probably just buy the 9mm in bi-tone.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Ok...Dumb Question???...How is the Duracoat applied and why is it better than factory finish?
Duracoat is applied with a spray gun or air brush.

Why is it better than a factory finish. That's a tough question, I think a lot of factory finishes are better than Duracoat. Glocks Tennifer and Springfields Melonite for instance.

But Duracoat is more rust resistant and tougher than your normal bluing or parkerizing. I brought 3 mossberg shotguns to Scout Camp with us last summer. Had to leave them locked up in the camps gun locker, which was just a wooden closet on the range. The camp was in a valley and had a lot of fog every morning. After a couple of days without re-applying some oil to them the 2 blued shotguns were covered with a thin layer of rust, the 1 Duracoated gun was fine.

Here's a S+W model 10 I Duracoated:

And here is a Mossberg 500:

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
OK...Stupid question but what is the difference between having the slide hard chromed as opposed to just purchasing the bi-tone. I recently purchase the all black xdm and would prefer a bi-tone but if the hard chrome process isn't as good(strong, scratch resistant, etc) then I'll probably just buy the 9mm in bi-tone.
I think the Bi-tone Springfields use a stainless steel slide. Stainless steel would be preferable to a hard chromed finish in my book.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts