Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about somthing hanging from chains welded to some round bar. any pictures or ideas on metal targets would be great.

XD"S Kick ASS

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Google metal shooting targets and there are a number of responses. The first one has a lot of different kinds. Buying them is expensive from what I noticed, so your idea of making them sounds better. Someone here has probably done that and will be able to give some pointers I'm sure.

Remember safety of course, as in ricochet: OUCH!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
hang it from a piece of rubber tred from a tire. bullets will go right through it with no prob; bullets will break a chain.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
not a big fan of hanging steel targets. If you end up (and you will) deciding to make multiple shots on the target, as the target swings from the first impact, the glancing impact on the second shot could go anywhere.

Make solid stands for them. 3/8" plate is the minimum thickness I would use for durability. I have some sketches here for when I get land I can put a range on.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Shooting metal targets is so stupid. A buddy and me was at the shooting range and my buddy got hit in the head with a 45cal because it bounced off the metal target that some ignorant **** was shooting at. My buddy is very lucky he didn’t get injured. Im lucky too. I seen bullets flying around everywhere. There probably 6 people shooting metal targets when this happened. My buddy went to his knees because he was so freaked out. The people stop shooting and only 1 of the 6 came over to see if he was alright. Once we found out the bullet just grazed him them stupid ****s started shooting at the metal targets again. We gathered up our guns and threw them in our cars and got the hell out of there. I would not recommend anyone to shoot metal targets. Common sense should tell you that the bullet its probably gonna bounce off. Come on...

·
Registered
442 Posts
dmcblaster said:
Shooting metal targets is so stupid. A buddy and me was at the shooting range and my buddy got hit in the head with a 45cal because it bounced off the metal target that some ignorant [email protected] was shooting at. My buddy is very lucky he didn’t get injured. Im lucky too. I seen bullets flying around everywhere. There probably 6 people shooting metal targets when this happened. My buddy went to his knees screaming because he was so freaked out. The people stop shooting and only 1 of the 6 came over to see if he was alright. Once we found out the bullet just grazed him them stupid ****s started shooting at the metal targets again. We gathered up our guns and threw them in our cars and got the hell out of there. I would not recommend anyone to shoot metal targets. Common sense should tell you that the bullet its probably gonna bounce off. Come on...
People shoot at metal targets all the time. Everytime I've shot at metal targets, I've always been told FMJ only, no hollow points, and wear shooting glasses. How close to these targets were you guys? FMJ fragments when it hits the steel. I shot steel targets as close as 7' before without being hit.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well of course the shooter is alot safer than other people around. Its gonna bounce off at an angle. They were shooting at them around 15-20 foot away. We were about 10-15 feet beside them. Im sure you guys will find out the hard way one day if you keep shooting metal targets.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Funny, if its so dangerous then why do most of the shooting sports incorporate steel targets into their array. USPSA, Steel challange, etc...
I shoot steel targets almost every weekend at matches, rues and saftey say to be no closer than 7 yards from a metal target. Yeah, fragments come back at times but if your wearing the proper gear then you wont have any serious injuries. I have been hit multiple times and from what I know of, in the entire history of USPSA, no serious injuries have occured.

·
Registered
533 Posts
metal targets are safe, I've shot steel plenty of times and yes I've been hit with small scraps of copper and lead but never had any injurys more than a small welt.
as stated above do not shoot closer than 7 yards and hang the metal so it is hanging at least at a 15 degree angle and put a sand pit below to catch the bullets

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Flat steel is also important. Make sure its not dished or dented up to badly. The flatter the better the bullet fragment stay in the plain of the flat steel if there are lots of pock marks the target is more likely to throw peices back at you.

The brake rotors in the other thread I linked to were only used at longer ranges. Given that they were not flat shooting them close would have been slightly dangerous. We got no closer than 20 yards to them when we were shooting them.

mcb

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
Static targets and reactive targets make a huge difference between whether some one is going to have to worry about splatter or ricochets coming back at them.

I've had good luck with my cheap "Double Mag Spinner" I picked up at Sports Authority. I also brought a few old brake rotors from my friends work and we shot them at 125 yrds.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I dont care if god himself shot at metal targets...ive seen what can happen and its very stupid. Listen to yourselves... you say that you have been hit with pieces...what happens when the whole bullet comes back at you? Sure it doesnt have the same velocity as coming out of the gun but still...maybe one of these days after something bad happens you will look back and say oh that guy was right. I know I learned not to shoot at hard targets when I was 10 using a bb gun.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ummm, you can get hit with a bullet coming back with almost any type of target. I shot a target that was hanging on a mesquite tree with my 1911a1, and the bullet came back and hit my left foot. It ended up breaking the joints of my 2nd and 3rd toes right where they join the foot.

I use metal targets for all of my rifle shooting, from 100-1200yrds. For my pistol shooting, I use either cardboard or metal. and the metal ones are fall down type.

IJ

·
Registered
285 Posts
The IPSC minimum is 10 meters (about 11 yards). We have about a dozen steel targets of varying styles and configurations on our outdoor range. If you look at the ground, there are many fragments littered out to this line with a few even further. I've been hit by fragments several times at this range and it is like being hit by a pebble thrown hard by someone. If you get hit on uncovered skin, it stings slightly but certainly lacks the power to break the skin. I always have on my safety glasses so my eyes are not a concern.

As always, safety starts with each of us. Shooting from a range of less than 10 meters is way too risky for me. However, if done properly, shooting steel is as safe as anything in our sport gets.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
IPSC Handgun Competition Rules USPSA Version January 2004 said:
2.1.3 Minimum Distances – Whenever metal targets are used in a course of fire, precautions must be taken so that competitors and match officials maintain a minimum distance of 7 meters (22.96 feet) from them while they are being shot. Where possible, this should be done with physical barriers. If Charge Lines are used to limit the approach to metal targets, they must be placed at least 8 meters (26.25 feet) from the targets so that the competitor may inadvertently fault the line and still be outside the 7 meter (22.96 feet) minimum distance.

None the less between IPSC/USPSA, 3-Gun, Steel Matches, Cowboy Action Shooting, and others I have surely forgotten. There are hundreds of thousands if not millions of rounds each year shot at steel targets that are stationary, swinging and falling steel. If it was truly dangerous then all these sports would have removed it from their activities along time again. As with anything involving firearms there is always a small about of danger involved. Wearing proper gear and the risks are very minimal.

The only time I have had a problem shooting steel was using slugs. A friend of mine was shooing my Winchester 9410 at the steel plates I had and actually missed the plate the 410 slug hit the backstop which is a dry creek bank made mostly of clay. A fragment of the slug came out of that clay bank bounce off a tree limb and hit him with enough energy to penetrate the sweet band on his baseball cap and get under his scalp. It took a quick trip to the ER and three staples and an hour and half later we were back shooting. Did we do anything wrong? Nope; we study the shooting area for a good hour deciphering what had happened. The steel was not the problem he admits to missing the steel. I have the incident on a small video clip I took with my digital camera you can see the slug impact the clay creek bank. It was just a fluke. Shooting steel is as safe as almost any other target you shoot at assuming your practice basic shooting safety procedures. Namely eyes and ears and maintain safe distances.

mcb

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone ever tried aluminum? You can get a piece that measures 12" x 12" for about 2 or 3 bucks. Most places will give you one out of their scrap for nothing. Your rounds would go right through it, so some sort of backstop would be needed but that would eliminate the risk of a ricochet.

I've never tried it personally, but Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I had some ~18 inch diameter 1/4 inch thick aluminum hard drive platters from and old VAX VMS main frame. The drive weighted over 90lbs and had a 1/4 horse power motor. It was dead when I got it and I tore it apart. We tried shooting them with our black powder guns and they did not last long. The only thing 1/4 aluminum would stop was the 36 cal cap and ball revolver. The point of Steel targets is that they don't get holed (most of the time) and you can reuse them over and over and over. Aluminum target get holed very easy and don’t last long even against light handgun bullets.

I did see some special plastic targets somewhere that are made to be shot by handguns the plastic lets the bullet pass through the target leaving very small holes. The bullet passes enough momentum to knock the target down but the bullet passes through. They are suppose to last for sever hundred hits and are good for use in indoor ranges where steel targets are inappropriate. They were a little expensive but look like them might be good in some shooting settings.

mcb

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well I guess if getting hit with bullets and pieces from bullets is safe then go for it. Why are metal targets inappropriate indoors if they are so safe?

I can see shooting metal targets from 100 plus yards away with a rifle.

Im sure people have got hurt or even killed because they were shooting metal targets..you have just never heard of it. As hard as that bullet hit my buddy..if it would of hit im in the right spot im sure it could of killed him.

The shooter is probably in the best spot...its the people standing a few feet beside you thats in danger.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts