Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got the newest edition of Brownells AR15 catalog and got to thinking I wanted to change out my upper receiver. I currently have the A2 upper but want the flat top since I am planning purchasing a aimpoint and do not want it to ride so high on the carry handle. I also plan on doing a basic remodel of the upper with Flip up front and rear sights, piston set up, new possibly DDF or YHM and a VFG. Something my wife brought is that would it be cheaper to sell the current upper and buy a new one how I want it or just upgrade from what I have now. i have looked to trade just for a normal flat top but have been unable to come across one. Has anyone else done this before if not throw your opinions out there I take everything into consideration. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
buy another upper and then you have two different set ups

the A2 and maybe a cqb 14" with a flattop and aimpoint

current set

I want a 20" with scope for longer range shooting

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
if you have the tools just buy another upper receiver and swap out the parts then sell off your A2 for whatever you can get out of it.

A new A3 upper reciver is around $100 then add the other parts that you want as funds are available.

The A2 is not a very desirable upper due to the lack of Optic mounting options. especially when you can always add a A2 removable carry handle and have the best of both worlds and easily go from one to the other. but for the right price you will find a buyer for your A2 upper receiver

if your not sure of what i am saying just the receiver not the barrel, handguards, BCG, Charging handle. those parts can be removed leaving only this

·
Registered
395 Posts
Here's what I would do:

1. Sell your current upper, and use the funds for a new flat top upper. Or...

2. Keep your current upper, and purchase a new flat top upper. Two is one, one is none.

Either way, I suggest you register at AR15.com, if you haven't already, and use their Equipment Exchange. Many good deals over there.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
if you have the tools just buy another upper receiver and swap out the parts then sell off your A2 for whatever you can get out of it.

A new A3 upper reciver is around $100 then add the other parts that you want as funds are available.

The A2 is not a very desirable upper due to the lack of Optic mounting options. especially when you can always add a A2 removable carry handle and have the best of both worlds and easily go from one to the other. but for the right price you will find a buyer for your A2 upper receiver

if your not sure of what i am saying just the receiver not the barrel, handguards, BCG, Charging handle. those parts can be removed leaving only this

Is that a left Stag or did that picture get imposed?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's what I would do:

1. Sell your current upper, and use the funds for a new flat top upper. Or...

2. Keep your current upper, and purchase a new flat top upper. Two is one, one is none.

Either way, I suggest you register at AR15.com, if you haven't already, and use their Equipment Exchange. Many good deals over there.
I am currently registered at afcom and have been checking the E&E forums but have not come across anything, I really would just like to trade as long as it has a chrome lined bbl and at least 16 inches, but I also keep away from that site since there are way to many mall ninjas over there with to much damn money. I will keep searching but in the end I will more than likely but a flat top reciever and transplant every thing over.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only problem is that what tools do I need, I have a local gun store that can do this for me but due to increased sales the wait time will be about 6-7 weeks I called them about that today, so now this will be a do it my self job. What tools will I need, all help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I am currently registered at afcom and have been checking the E&E forums but have not come across anything,

I also keep away from that site since there are way to many mall ninjas over there with to much damn money.
There are [email protected]#theads on every site, pay them no mind. The good folks far outweigh the bad. There's a wealth of information over there, and some good deals to be had.;)

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I currently have the A2 upper but want the flat top since I am planning purchasing a aimpoint and do not want it to ride so high on the carry handle.
The most affordable option would be this:

which you can find here.

Just mount it to your A2 handguard, and your Aimpoint will sit over the handguard, cowitnessed with your iron sights.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts