Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to buy a new XDM and I am torn between the 40 vs 45 ACP. I have a couple of nine's and and would like something different that's why I am asking. I have read alot online but everyone seems to be split between the 40 and 45 ACP. Shooting costs are NOT a concern at all so please don't respond with that info.:???:

·
Registered
886 Posts
The grip is a little larger on the 45. Also seems to me like recoil is easier to control. I have XD357 and XD45, the 357 is the exact same frame as the 40, can buy barrel to make 40 if I wanted. The 357 is snapper than the 40 but I shoot the 45 really well. I am thinking that it's the frame and grip that makes it work for me.

The 45 has been around for almost 100 years for a some very good reasons. Accuracy, low powder charge and great stopping power.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I have the XDM40 - 4.5" and love it. Personal choice was made because I can carry more rounds of .40 in the mag than possible with a .45. (And depending on what reports you read, better defense characteristics than a 9mm).

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I own both. I carry the .40 and leave the .45 in the night stand for home protection.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am actually in the exact same position. I am going to the range to fire my brothers XD45 next week and see how it feels. I am also unsure between the XD and XDm. I just joined up here today to try and learn more........

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same boat here. Leaning towards the 40 but the 45 is so tempting. Might just have to flip a coin.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Kind of like walking into the tattoo parlor and telling the artist: "I know you don't know me, but tat me with something you think I'll like." Caliber choice is a personal one that should only be made after careful deliberation. None of us can tell you what you will like/shoot best. If possible, rent or borrow some of each for yourself to try. Then you will know for sure.

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Shoot both. However, I agree with the poster that said to go with the .45 IF you are thinking about going with a 1911 in the future.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Shoot them both and take the one YOU like best.

I actually prefer shooting the .40 over the 9mm or the .45. It's all a matter of PERSONAL preference. No one can tell you what you will like best.

You will be happy either way YOU go.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I hardly even notice the recoil of my XDM45 and I can rest easy knowing that I can pack +p+ for bear and standard for people.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.