Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to buy a new XDM and I am torn between the 40 vs 45 ACP. I have a couple of nine's and and would like something different that's why I am asking. I have read alot online but everyone seems to be split between the 40 and 45 ACP. Shooting costs are NOT a concern at all so please don't respond with that info.:???:

·
Registered
93 Posts
With price aside you're the only one that can choose the caliber for you. Go to the range and shoot both calibers.

·
Registered
886 Posts
The grip is a little larger on the 45. Also seems to me like recoil is easier to control. I have XD357 and XD45, the 357 is the exact same frame as the 40, can buy barrel to make 40 if I wanted. The 357 is snapper than the 40 but I shoot the 45 really well. I am thinking that it's the frame and grip that makes it work for me.

The 45 has been around for almost 100 years for a some very good reasons. Accuracy, low powder charge and great stopping power.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Id say buy either and dont fret about it. Some people say 40s are more snappy. I can not tell the difference though. Either one would be a great choice. :cool:

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I have the XDM40 - 4.5" and love it. Personal choice was made because I can carry more rounds of .40 in the mag than possible with a .45. (And depending on what reports you read, better defense characteristics than a 9mm).

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
.45 first . . . and then go down in cal from there!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I own both. I carry the .40 and leave the .45 in the night stand for home protection.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am actually in the exact same position. I am going to the range to fire my brothers XD45 next week and see how it feels. I am also unsure between the XD and XDm. I just joined up here today to try and learn more........

·
Registered
31,568 Posts
Depends on what other purchases you may make in the future. If you can see yourself getting into the 1911 world, might as well go with the .45 to reduce the number of calibers you have to keep around.
If not, just flip a coin or something.

·
Registered
481 Posts
45 for the win! I love mine and you can't go wrong with 45 acp. I have small hands and I still love shooting this gun.

Sent from Nates Droid X

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same boat here. Leaning towards the 40 but the 45 is so tempting. Might just have to flip a coin.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Kind of like walking into the tattoo parlor and telling the artist: "I know you don't know me, but tat me with something you think I'll like." Caliber choice is a personal one that should only be made after careful deliberation. None of us can tell you what you will like/shoot best. If possible, rent or borrow some of each for yourself to try. Then you will know for sure.

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Shoot both. However, I agree with the poster that said to go with the .45 IF you are thinking about going with a 1911 in the future.

·
Registered
11 Posts
LOL, this has been a stock answer of mine for years. But they do have a conversion for the XD 45 to .460 Rowland. Hopefully they'll come up with one for the XDm as well.

Because they don't make one in .46

:p

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Shoot them both and take the one YOU like best.

I actually prefer shooting the .40 over the 9mm or the .45. It's all a matter of PERSONAL preference. No one can tell you what you will like best.

You will be happy either way YOU go.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I hardly even notice the recoil of my XDM45 and I can rest easy knowing that I can pack +p+ for bear and standard for people.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Same boat here. Leaning towards the 40 but the 45 is so tempting. Might just have to flip a coin.
Use a two headed coin and get the .45. Won't regret it making a big hole.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts