Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought an xd9mm sub about 6 months ago...it is now showing surface rust on the slide,slide release,and lock....i know i could get it refinished by springfeild under warranty but i like the chrome but with the lettering and symbols in black...i also would like night sites put on it as well..i am looking for recommendations on someone to do the work..i dont mind paying a little extra for a job well done...i have e-mailed springfeild and tripp research for pricing anyone else? and may i add that i keep my guns clean and wiped down so i know its not from non cleanin...

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I have a friend that had his S&W410 chromed by Tripp great job. His place is about 1/4 mile from where I live but I haven't been to it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Had my XD done by Tripp also. Great, great, great work... Got it back in a week, including shipping both ways.

For the black lettering, they sell these Lacquer-Stik things. I got mine from...I can't remember where, but google them and they'll pop up on a lot of sites. I haven't tried it, but they're commonly used for tools and such that have engraved lettering. They have red, gold, black, white, etc...

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
quick question, dont mean to hijack, but... when you get your slide refinished do you send off your whole gun? or just the slide?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just got an e-mail from springfeild and they will do it under warranty...but its the slide release and lock also has rust on it so i will probably have to ship the whole gun...

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I shipped my whole gun to Springfield (under warranty for $8 s/h) and they not only refinished the slide but did the slide release, grip safety, and all the pins in Armory Kote I also asked them to leave the sights out as I had ordered a set from AJames

·
Registered
813 Posts
Sending all of mine to H&R for their killer job. No hard chrome for me. I like to keep myself hidden as long as possible in the dark :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i wanted something different but i knew i didnt want the hard chrome...i went with the silver....i guess its not as shiney...i really havent seen it for sure but i didnt want the green either...so silver it is...if i dont like it i guess i can always go back to black.... :roll:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Here is my question: I ALSO want hard chrome applied to my xd-40....however, I want a black pistol. Does hard chrome come in black? or is it only silver.

Besides black T (which I just found out would take 3 months because springfield has to send the gun to WE Birdsong...only he does it) what is the hardest, most durable finish out there in BLACK?

yours truly

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
atkamano said:
Here is my question: I ALSO want hard chrome applied to my xd-40....however, I want a black pistol. Does hard chrome come in black? or is it only silver.

Besides black T (which I just found out would take 3 months because springfield has to send the gun to WE Birdsong...only he does it) what is the hardest, most durable finish out there in BLACK?

yours truly
Yes! They make black chrome.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
man,shipping a pistol in mo. is a bite in the rear....finally fed ex did it after calling springfeild armory...the regular post office wouldnt even touch it with a 10 foot pole...i was given a very firm NO!!!!! but its on the way at least... :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
154 Posts
agalindo said:
I have a friend that had his S&W410 chromed by Tripp great job. His place is about 1/4 mile from where I live but I haven't been to it.
Hello!

Hey, I just noticed you live in Alpine, Tx. I lived there for 3 years. I was the manager for the Anthony's/Beall's there. My wife's parents still live there and we visit about 2 times per year!

Is there a walk-in shop for Tripp, or how does that work? I am interested in some of their 1911 mags.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
curious about the date of manufacture. I have a sub compact and not any rust at all.....not even exposing it to salt water.

I wondered in the post if there was possibly a change in the finish at some point.

My serial number is US 998024

The thread I talked about it was here:http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=16801&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

You can see (in that thread) that others have had the same experience as me....live in humid cliimates, etc. and have no rust issues at all.

It just seems strange that some people have no rust problems and some have big problems.

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well this is my story....i wear it everyday,iwb holster(leather),and i do hardwood floors for a living...when i sand big jobs i get pretty sweaty....and i do clean it after a good sweaty day....but on 3 occasions i have found surface rust along the ridge in the middle of the slide (holster wear?) and both slide release and the lock have it as well...dont get me wrong it comes off .. i would just feel better with a stronger finish....i hate rust on a gun especially one that is only 5-6 months old...other than that i consider it my baby of all my weapons I LOVE MY GUN!!!!! i wouldnt trade it for an expensive glock or anything else!!!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
You guys are really scaring me. I really want an xd, but I hear so much about the rust. I don't want to spend all that money for something thats going to rust.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Well if you consider how much cheaper it is to begin with paired with the fact that the rust issue is a lot more limited than it seems on the board. Obviously people who have the problems are going to post about it and those who don't are less likely to post that they don't. I think with regular cleaning after use your finish will be just fine. If you want you can get the slide refinished by a few companies for around $50-60 (slide only). Also if it does rust, SA will put their stonger finish on it under warranty at no charge to you.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Does Tripp do black chrome. If not, who does? I missed that part. I really like the was the matte chrome looks. Someone posted their XD matte chromed with the flats on the slide polished. This looks killer, IMHO. I would like to try that with black chrome, if possible.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts