Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello..

Well.. I just got a bug to get a bolt action..darn, sniper movies.. what do you guys recommend? what I'm wanting is something that is cost effective (both in gun and ammo) and yet fun to shoot (not looking for a .22lr).. im not trying to spend an arm an a leg since im just going to do some target shooting and i'm not a hunter..

Since this will be my first riffle.. I am totally clueless.. I have tried doing research both on sites and on wiki.. but I'm totally lost and a little overwhelmed.. please help.. thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,154 Posts
I totally recommend a Savage Model 10FP in .223.

I owned one, and regrettably sold it.

It was one of the finest firearms I've ever had the pleasure of having in my hands.

Beyond that, if you want to make a step up a Remington 700 in .308 is a great gun.

I have a 700 VTR in .308 right now and it's probably the most accurate rifle I've ever shot. Easily patterns 1/2 MOA with match grade ammo.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
For an overall sweet gun, I'd go with the Remington 700 in .308. For cost effectivness, I'd go with a Savage or Rem 700 in .223.

Pretty much just dito the above post.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Remington 700P in .223 or .308

Around $550 depending where you pick it up at.

:cool:

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Savage 12fvss in 223 or 308 if you are interrested in targets...That's going to be my next long gun...With a decent scope you would be around $800.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I really like Remington rifles and shotguns but any of the name brands are going to give you fine performance. If your wanting more than a .22 but less than a .223, check out a .17 hmr.

Mine is a .308 but unless you reload, it can get pricey for quality ammo.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
You can't go wrong with a 700. If you want to go a bit cheaper, go with a Savage. Remember, a good rifle needs a good scope.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
savage is the way to go. GREAT trigger and a great rifle also. can be found for around $400 or less that is if you dont get the 10fp

·
Registered
512 Posts
I had a Remington 700 SPS Varmint (heavy barrel) .223 and it was an awesome shooter. Trading it away ranks high on the list of stupid things I've done in my life.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
as others have said, figure out your price point. At this point the 700 is probably at the high end of quality (as far as out of the box, affordable bolt actions go). Savage has really made some quality firearms recently (last 10-15 years) that are a great value and a good option if you don't want to/can't spend 500-600 on just the rifle.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I picked up a nagant 91/59 recently (chopped down 91/30)...and it's fun as hell to shoot if you have a tough shoulder! ammo is pretty cheap too!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Anyone try out one of Marlin's new bolt actions?

They can be had for under $300. Sounds like a screamin deal to me.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm curious about the Marlin XL7 as well - just read a review in Outdoor Life and it looks promising. I have a Marlin 917V .17HMR and it's a tack driver. 3/4" at 100 yds, is the norm.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I am thinking this one is going to be my next rifle: Savage Arms Model 25 Lightweight Varminter

It's Savage's version of the "Mini-Mauser", a super short action for .223 length cartridges. I'd hack 4" off the barrel, bed the action and put some decent glass on it to make a really nice range gun. The detachable mags are nice and getting it chambered in .223 will save you some ammo cash if you don't plan to hunt with it.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Or for a little more money, you could get the same sort of thing from CZ: CZ 527 Varmint Laminated

Laminate:

Kevlar:

·
Registered
375 Posts
I totally recommend a Savage Model 10FP in .223.

I owned one, and regrettably sold it.

It was one of the finest firearms I've ever had the pleasure of having in my hands.

Beyond that, if you want to make a step up a Remington 700 in .308 is a great gun.

I have a 700 VTR in .308 right now and it's probably the most accurate rifle I've ever shot. Easily patterns 1/2 MOA with match grade ammo.
+1 on the Savage. Can't beat the out of the box accuracy and that accutrigger is sweet. As far as caliber, 270, .308, or 30/06 is plentiful. Although, 180gr factory loads in 30/06 does not make a good day of shooting with a synthetic stock.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
wow..that's quite a list of guns that have been listed.. i guess i'm going to just have to check them out.. so many people have recomended the rem 700.. just might have to get it.. but i was really hoping to find something close to the 300 dollar range.. thanks for everyone's comments.. but im not sure i can make a decision just yet..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts